1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 10/7/2003 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 7, 2003.

1. CRC

CRC Member

Yao posted on his BBS last night saying he likes the new jersey. The red reminds him of the Chinese national team uni.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, I don't think it's been mentioned, but Francis played some damn good defense when he was in the game. Lots of on the ball pressure on Stoudamire, and he was fighting through picks. Moochie comes in, and the Blazers go on a 12-2 run...Oh, and Griffin should be fined one weeks pay for every three poitner he takes...

It may be because Yao didn't play, but I didn't see any difference in the offense from last season

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Can someone summarize the performance of all of the back-ups? Thx

4. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

So, are Boki and Bryce Drew about the same? Both mid 1st rounders with later 2nd rounders games?

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Only if Utah needs 4 more 1st round picks from us and even then I don't think they'd take Amaechi back. Who else would want them?

It's only one game but it looks like we have 3 of the 12 guaranteed spots taken up by players who can't play. I'm afraid the owner is watching the payroll now that we'll just have to ride these bad contracts out and not sign anymore - even if they're better players.

Amaechi - 2 years
    Boki - 2 years
    Moochie - 3 years (?)

And I had hope for Moochie this year...

6. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

[​IMG]
    "I'm feeling a little light-headed"

Moochie and the rest of the "rotation" seriously need to work on their handles. If you have to look at the ball to dribble it, you shouldn't be a guard in this league. With or without a supporting cast, getting stripped that often is just obscene.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Does anyone have any more pics of the game? Please post. :)

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Cornell looked like a natural four out there. Too bad he is playing a position we are loaded at.

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

From AP Sports

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

My grades after watching the game:

Steve- (B-) Left the good point play after the first 5 min and resorted to dribbling and taking shots as the clock wound down.

Cuttino- (C) Showed little energy to get himself involved offensively- did not come off picks crisp to get himself open.

Cato- (A) Continues to play hard in the paint, great backup to Yao, he is not the same person who didn't care 2 yrs ago.

E. Griffin- (A-) Really looks stronger and played closer to the basket, needs to leave the 3 alone. Fought for position but sometimes didn't get the entry pass

JJackson- (C) looked lost, stroke wasn't there for his shot.

Nachbar- (D) Is not the natural awesome outside shooter hoped for, it will take alot of improvement for him to be the kind of small forward that helps a team get to the playoffs

Moochie- (C) Liked his energy but the turnovers were horrible, he did seem quicker than last year

Others- (C) Scales showed athleticism and quickness, Cornell some inside toughness but most all the backups showed why they haven't been in a NBA rotation. I thought the guy from the Jazz, Amaechi was slow and soft.

Whatever Jeff Van Gundy is installing as a system is going to be a real struggle. The team looked lost as expected for the first pre season game with a brand new coaching staff and philosophy.

Jeff Van Gundy (C) Don't really know how to grade him as I think he just took this first game as a scrimmage. I'm sure he is thinking about how much adjustment and work is needed for him to fit with this team and this team to fit with him.

Recap- I really believe the Rockets are going to be experiencing some major transition pains as the players and the coaching staff try to find identity, style of play and just what the heck this team is supposed to look like.

11. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The thing about Moochie is after he had 9 turnovers they showed him over on the bench cutting up like a clown. I hate to see that even if its just a preaseason game. I guess thats what a guaranteed contract will do to you.

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Rhester, thanks for the recap. I am anxious to see what your thoughts are if you factor in Taylor and Ming. That could make your outlook somewhat more favorable.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

After seeing last nights game, it's all down hill from here.

I like the new guys (Cornell, Scales, Muoneke) they picked up, but then again some players seem to play impressive until they get the big paycheck.

I really liked the way EG and Cato looked inside. That is about all I liked, The rest needs some more time.

14. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

unless you are drexler

15. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I think the end result was the same as last season but I saw some differences.

The biggest was that, at least at the beginning, the Rockets did not start an offense with the dribbles. They swung the ball from side to side and looked for:

1) Shooters cutting thru baseline's picks.
    2) Post players.

Problems:
    1) Our players did not use the screens very well and almost never got open.
    2) Without Yao and no big post's advantage (although the few minutes EG was in, he did good in the post) the outside players slowly went away from feeding the post.

The other play was the pick-n-roll and it did not work either.

We then reversed back to some 1 on 1 or some random broken down plays.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

One other observation- Calvin Murphy will often throw out some pretty good insight during the telecast. One thing he mentioned that was a big difference from last year is that there was not alot of defensive help on their post ups.

Last year we doubled alot down low, last night most of the players had to play straight up on post up situations. Don't know if this will change but Z. Randolph and their other inside players were allowed to go one on one when they post up on the block.

I thought our defensive adjustments were the greatest problem last night. The offensive for the first 5-10 min of the 1st quarter was definately and obviously inside out with alot more picks being set. That offense could be sweet if perfected.

The defense was bad the whole game.

This makes this preseason much more important than before when we had the continuity of the coaching staff each year.

Putting in a new staff is probably going to take more adjustment than I was thinking. I am just not sure what this team is supposed to look like. I think Van Gundy knows how to succeed and win I hope the players continue to buy in.

I want to watch each preseason game. Can't wait for tonight to see Yao in the mix.

17. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

18. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

19. CRC

CRC Member

Red-White combination... must be the new fashion trend for shoes! Everyone got them, including Portland players! :D

[​IMG]

20. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

rhester,

Thx for the player recap.