1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 10/7/2003 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 7, 2003.

1. iball

iball Contributing Member

All I have to say is the uni's are awesome. Best in the league IMO. Oh, and Boki was decent for his first time playing significant minutes in the NBA.

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

We have lost a freaking preseason game. It's the end of the world as we know it.

3. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

These road unis seriously kick ass based on all the pics I've seen. Me likey.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

What I liked the most was during the beginning of the game, the bench was PUMPED after almost EVERY play we did. When they showed Eddie pull down a couple of offensive rebounds and putbacks, the bench was up and cheering like we were plaing in the NBA Finals and we are playing a FREAKING PRESEASON GAME. Loved the energy on the bench.

5. cujo

cujo Member

I think people are really tough on Boki. The guy didn't even play last year. He may not be as good as waht Rudy thought, but from what I saw, he did decent tonite. It's first preseason game and people are calling him trash already. The only guy who i thought didn't play well was Moochie. But again, it is the first preseason game.... not much u can determine.

6. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

I'm not worry about the preseason games. Even we go 0-8 in preseason, we could still make the playoff this year.

BTW, why NBA.com does not have live score for Lakers-Warriors game? The game has already started for 30 minutes. I want to see whether Malone and Payton play well.

NBA.com sucks!!!

7. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Man, nachbar is trash...and to moochies credit he actually made a layup?:eek:

8. sweetie

sweetie Member

Well now you know why he didnt play last year. Bust.

9. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Didn't you hear the lakers called the game off to play another paintball game.

10. cujo

cujo Member

Nachbar made a slashing layup and 2 jumpers.....to his credit:)

11. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

What are the financial consequences if we just cut Norris and Amaechi?

12. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

agree!!!

13. TheInsider

TheInsider Member

Why are the Rockets wearing the Comets jerseys?

14. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Why are you posting? Paging gregonomics.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Their salary counts against the cap for the duration of the contracts plus we still have to pay them. Teams don't usually cut players unless they need that 15th roster spot.

16. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

So what are our options for trading Norris and Amaechi then ala Rice? Is there any way we can dump them without them counging against the cap?

17. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Wallace, Randolph carry Blazers
    Posted: Wednesday October 8, 2003 1:23AM; Updated: Wednesday October 8, 2003 3:43AM

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The Blazers went with a big starting lineup to open exhibition play, and coach Maurice Cheeks says to expect more experimentation to come.

The Blazers started Tuesday night's 104-80 victory over the Houston Rockets with Rasheed Wallace, Zach Randolph, Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, Bonzi Wells and Damon Stoudamire.

Boumtje-Boumtje was starting in place of Dale Davis. Starting guard Derek Anderson didn't make an appearance until later in the first quarter.

"It's going to depend on match-ups we have," Cheeks said. "Certain matchups may not be conducive to using Rasheed, Dale and Zach in the front court."

Wallace scored 19 points, and Randolph had 18 points and eight rebounds to lead the Blazers in the exhibition opener for both teams Tuesday night.

As Yao Ming watched from the bench in street clothes, Alex Scales led the Rockets with 11 points. Kelvin Cato had nine points and eight rebounds.

"We played bad," Houston's new coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

The Trail Blazers began to pull away late in the first quarter. Jeff McInnis' layup made it 24-17, before his steal and a well-placed pass to Ruben Patterson under the basket for a dunk made it 26-17.

The Blazers, who experimented with different on-court combinations, went up 40-21 on Randolph's slam midway through the second quarter. They led 46-34 at the half.

The Blazers went up 98-71 on Qyntel Woods' dunk with just under three minutes to play.

"I thought tonight we got good results with the big front line and playing Bonzi at shooting guard," Cheeks said. "But we won't necessarily do that in every game."

Yao arrived in the United States on Sunday, after playing for China's national team -- which won the Asian Games title and a spot in the 2004 Olympics. He's had just one practice with the Rockets.

In addition to Van Gundy, the Rockets made key player moves in the offseason by acquiring forward Jim Jackson and center John Amaechi.

The Blazers didn't look much different. Starting guard Scottie Pippen went to the Chicago Bulls via free agency, while Lithuanian center Arvydas Sabonis retired. Guard Antonio Daniels also left as a free agent, but otherwise the team remained intact.

Center Dale Davis did not start for the Blazers because of a groin strain. He also was not expected to play Thursday when the Blazers travel to McArthur Court at the University of Oregon for an exhibition game against Sacramento.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Rockets jerseys look nothing like the Comets jerserys or any other WNBA jersey.

Why does the Cavs jersey's look like the Comets jersey's?

#198 crash5179, Oct 8, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  19. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Cornell has Jumpers!!! That guy can leap....need to find a way to keep him...very active around the basket, which Vandy loves....

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Scales, Carnell, and Wilkes showing great stuff. Boki and Mooch big bust.

I agree. I would add also that Eddie and Cato look better than last year.

My only caveat is that I thought, much to my surprise, that I saw some late potential in Boki offensively, if he can ever start hitting his shots. He does handle the ball very well for a big guy. He might be one of these offense only players who just can't do it at the NBA level.

It would be interesting to know if he can hit jumpers in practice scrimmages.