1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilman is to blame if this plan causes pandemic to spread.

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Good post. Just to more context to this. Here's the paper
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

There were 1151 people placed on ventilators. At the time of the study, 38 were discharged alive, 282 died, and 831 remained in the hospital.

The 88% died figure came from taking the dead divided by all resolved cases. 282/(281+38)=88%.
    The 25% died figure came from taking the dead divided by all cases placed on ventilator 282/(1151)=24.5%

Both are true in the proper context. The real figure after everything is said and done will be somewhere in the middle.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you think that article proves?

It's still one guy claiming this and the article never said if those figures are true.

When did this pricing mechanism get implemented since Covid was never treated until about 4 months ago, when did medicare start this pay mechanism.

Educate me.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some beautician was on the news saying they should be able to open and how the stations are far enough apart and they clean thoroughly. I think it's not so much a risk of other customers 6 ft from you woman. The risk is your closeness to multiple patrons daily, and your risk of exposing customers with you right up on them when you cut and touch their hair and head.

No Worries, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I do sympathize with people like her and like dental hygienists. It's not clear when they can safely earn a living again.

No Worries, Nook, Astrodome and 3 others like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree. I feel the same way about teaching. I won't feel safe doing that again until they come out with a vaccine.

No Worries, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Our Governor needs to do more in protecting people's health, and quit focusing more on opening back up. As of today there are 17 states testing twice as many people per million than Texas. Out of those 17 states, 5 have tripled our testing and 2 have quadrupled our testing.

Priority needs to go to an urgent government response and focus on our nursing homes and assisted living facilities. There is no humane reason for people who can't care for themselves to be put in danger. We lead the country in % of deaths at senior care sites at 33%, according to the article in today's Chronicle. According to the article Texas has ranked at the bottom of the barrel for 3 straight years on nursing home quality.

Our Governor needs to get his priorities straight instead of trying to please his Republican party leader.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I really dont think that there are many people here in texas that are in need of testing. I could drive 15 minutes up the road and get one if i started experiencing symptoms. All states are not alike, especially at this point.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think many health experts and nursing homes would disagree.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Taiwan approach... of course they have a lower baseline to work from but their approach itself is probably a big reason why they have the lower baseline.

Want a hair cut? Temp check, sanitize hand, fill out declaration, mask, don’t chit chat, ....

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Millennials are acting like they are Soviet construction workers having to cleanup after Chernobyl. Except with more complaining.

Corrosion, body slam and Nook like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure what it is now, but at the beg of April, there were 4 community based testing sites in Harris. Each can perform 250 tests per day. Yesterday, one of the site shutdown early because they ran out.

Astrodome and RayRay10 like this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Some people have legitimate concerns. Some are in fear of speaking out for fear of losing jobs. Some companies, especially ones like construction, are simply not doing enough.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/construction-industry-coronavirus-threat/

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. B-Bob

I’m assuming all of us teachers/lecturers will be forced back in the fall, without a vaccine.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  17. B-Bob

meat processing plants are staffed by whiny millennials? ... I’ll never look at deviled ham the same way.

No Worries, Fyreball and RayRay10 like this.
  18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

More and more statistical data suggests that lockdown has no correlation to saving lives. Excellent WSJ statistical analysis piece from a couple of days ago. Now the world's brightest mind, Elon Musk, believes that the COVID hype is a fraud. The mood is shifting fast against the authoritarian blanket-lockdowns and towards freedom. Protect the vulnerable, and if you want to shelter in place, then please do so, but release the able-bodied and healthy to go about their lives. We didn't evolve for 10,000 years as a civilization only to hide like little bishes from what is proving to be a routine virus that targets the elderly.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.