1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 NBA FINALS - Heat vs. Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 713, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Predictions?

1. Heat in 4

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Heat in 5

14 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Heat in 6

48 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Heat in 7

31 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. OKC in 4

15 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. OKC in 5

32 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. OKC in 6

170 vote(s)
    44.9%
  8. OKC in 7

65 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

I just don't get it. Why was Ibaka played so little? Perkins was slow at protecting the rim almost every time Miami drove past the perimeter defender.

Plus Ibaka can shoot. Perkins is pretty useless on offense.

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

For example, just did some stat checking on NBA.com which validates my point about OKC not hitting their outside shots. In tonights game against Miami, they shot 22% from behind the arc. In game 6 against San Antonio they shot 55% from 3pt land!!!!!

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

No not seriously.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's true. Durant can't check Lebron. OKC has to pack it in a zone. And Durant can't get tied up in a 1-on-1 matchup with Lebron.

Lebron has made himself into a HUGE problem for OKC by being so aggressive to the rim and going in to score. As I stated in my thread about Lebron passing out when he gets in the paint, he is much more destructive to a defense when he goes to the rim with the intention of scoring. Right now, OKC has to figure out a major adjustment. Otherwise Lebron is going to chew right through their whole D and force Durant back on his heals at the very least, if not to the bench with foul trouble. This is the ultimate dangerous Lebron. Just hammering his will into the Thunder. They have to make a major defensive adjustment now or watch this series swirl down the drain.

#1764 jopatmc, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Maybe b/c Ibaka can't rebound worth a damn.

Miami is a top 2 defense for a reason. Spurs are an average defensive team. Nobody was expecting OKC to drop 105+ on Miami on a consistent basis.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

But I don't think you can say shooting 55% from 3pt land against the Spurs to going all the way to 22% against Miami is due to the Heat's defense. Many of those shots are wide open.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Umm... yes it is. Rhythm matters for offense. Miami's defense takes OKC out of its rhythm for long stretches of a game. They did so in the first halves of game 1 and 2, and they did so for the entire 4th in game 3. You can't shut down a team like OKC. You just have to take that team out of its rhythm and force them to play differently.

When was the last time you see Durant isoed at the top of the key for 4-5 possessions in a row late in the 4th? Rarely. OKC played out of its character, and turned it over 4-5 times in the 4th. They have been ridiculously good at holding onto the ball ALL playoffs.

And to another topic: you know what's funny about these Finals? Wade played another poor game overall tonight (8-22, 5 turnovers, with one nearly costing the Heat the game, really stagnating the offense at times)... and yet he doesn't get the WB treatment.

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

F**k you.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Not shocking. Basically when Miami loses LeBron usually gets the most blame and when OKC loses Westbrook gets most of the blame no matter how poorly their teammates play.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Steamrolling Lebron is actually easy to guard, you just have your cannon fodder like Sefalosha go out there and get crushed. All the impact will take its toll on LBJ and he'll wear himself out eventually, probably by crash #10 or so. I dunno wny you always assume LBJ is made of steel and won't be impervious to all the contact he will be taking, notice how LBJ only does this method during crunch time, when the game's about to end and he can go all out. Because unlike you he knows he's made of flesh and bone, and if he doesn't want to wear himself out by the 4rth quarter and shorten his career dramatically (wade says "hi") he'll need to rely on guys like Battier sniping from the 3 pt line.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You have no clue about being a coach in the NBA. None whatsoever. OKC got to the Finals, and pretty much steamrolled their way, with this lineup. Look at what happened when Pop made an adjustment and started Manu. How'd that work out for them?? But let me guess, it's not Pop's fault, right? Again, TOOL.

You go with the guys that brought you. That's how you start. Then you make in-game adjustments, which is exactly what Brooks did when he put Thabo on Tony Parker in the Spurs series. And who said Nick Collison is a great interior defender? Really? He got burned several times in the game today.

Anyone who picked the Thunder in 4 or 5 made the wrong assumption in that they thought Miami's playoff struggles and OKC's domination would be the same in this series. Again, Boston was a desperate team and Bosh wasn't there most of the time- no matter what you say, that guy is a key component for that team, not just for scoring but for timely rebounds and blocks. He makes a lot of heads-up plays, sometimes even more than Wade.

The Heat with a healthy Bosh, and Battier playing the way he is, and with Miami's experience, are a better team in this last stage of the playoffs. That's just how it is. Scott Brooks cannot make the free throws for them- that killed them more than anything. He can't force them not to make dumb fouls. Sorry, but a coach who led his team to beat last year's champs, the Lakers, and the team with the best record in the NBA knows what he's doing. And to be down 2-1 to Miami is not shocking in the least bit.

The Heat will not let last year happen again. Their experience, the addition of Battier (if he still plays at this level for the rest of the series), and the will of Lebron James, plus Bosh's contributions, will put them over the top in 6 or 7. If OKC pulls it out, it won't be shocking, but surprising.

Heat in 6.

12. Mr. Space City

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
    Heat won despite having worst shooting percentage and fewest number of made field goals outside the paint in an NBA Finals game since 1997.

13. adboy

adboy Member

still think thunder in 6 or 7. they gotta win the next one though to make sure momentum has not swung over far too much by game 5. if its 2-2 by then thunder can win but if its 3-1 the heat will take it.

14. lalala902102001

I thought Miami was in trouble when it was a 1 point game going into the 4th but they really stepped up down the stretch. I think it has a lot to do with their loss in last year's Finals. A team grows from adversity. OKC is lacking that because this is all new to them.

15. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Good one!

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Add playing a game 7 against the Celtics to that. There was point OKC made a run and it looked like the Heat would fold like they usually do. They actually stemmed the tide and battled back. I still think OKC in 7, but Miami looks a while lot more mature this year.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Durant 4 points in the last 8 minutes, no one says anything.

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am afraid this may be it for OKC even though they are still the better team in my eyes. They had Miami on the ropes building a 10 point lead. I thought they, especially Brooks made a mistake. Why keep KD and Westbrook on the bench. OK, I know Durant was in foul trouble but Westbrook?

For me they simply blew the game and it may be costly. I do think they can easily win game 4 and I hope they will because if not this is over. Harden needs to STEP UP.

Miami, LeBron holding that championship trophy would be BAD.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

This game was basically turned around when Ibaka and Fisher committed two terrible fouls on back to back possessions while Shane Battier and James Jones were shooting 3's. The lead was 10 and that sequence brought it down to 4. Up to that point Miami was having trouble getting any good looks at the basket but after that it gave Miami confidence.

20. MD_in_Training

Ibaka would play 40 min a game if he didn't pose as a rebounding liability. He was a serviceable rebounder during the regular season, but has been getting destroyed on the boards during these finals. I've seen so many instances where he would just watch the ball in flight instead of finding a man to stick his butt into.