1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 NBA FINALS - Heat vs. Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 713, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Predictions?

1. Heat in 4

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Heat in 5

14 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Heat in 6

48 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Heat in 7

31 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. OKC in 4

15 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. OKC in 5

32 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. OKC in 6

170 vote(s)
    44.9%
  8. OKC in 7

65 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. PeppermintCandy

agree with this post. The way they dismantled the Spurs, I thought the Thunder had another dimension to their offense/defense. However, despite their length and athleticism, they did not have the disciplined, methodical style of play needed when the Heat started taking away their first options.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hate to say it. But I think the 2012 Spurs could've beat this Heat team.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

They could if they played better defense. But SAS is a very mediocre defensive team.

Yup, people will judge this series by that game 5 blowout, but this series was very tightly contested. A few possessions here and there and the tone of the series would have been very different. But you expect that when 2 competitive teams go at it. Like many, I thought OKC would have taken this in 5 or 6. It's just that MIami's role players came to play for the most part in this series. When they do, the Heat are pretty much unbeatable.

These 2 teams will meet again in next year's finals, barring injuries. And it will be even more exciting. Durant/WB will be better. Lebron will be better. This is the new rivalry.

I just wished this series had more physical play/dislike or something of that nature. Like you know how the Bulls/Celts hate the Heat. That would have made it more fun.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Dwight Howard and/or Deron's destinations could play a part. A Deron/Kobe/Pau team could do some damage if Kobe has anything left and a Rose/Howard combo could beat the Heat (assuming Rose is ready to play after the all star break).

5. PeppermintCandy

In that ESPN video where Marc Cuban tells off Skip Bayless, Cuban talks about how Dallas had to use so many defensive schemes in order to keep James on the perimeter.

Same as Dallas did, the Thunder will need to figure out how to stop LeBron James as a team, because these finals showed that he's not going to be stopped by a single talented defender or simple double teams. And their job is going to get even tougher because James has added an improved post game to his arsenal.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Brooks weren't a bonehead, OKC (probably) would have won games 2 and/or 3 and the series would be headed back to OKC for game 6. That, by itself, would have raised the series to another level. Maybe Miami wouldn't have had such a magical game 5 if it weren't a close-out.

I'm not so sure these teams will meet again next year. Championship opportunities are precious and a lot of things can happen.

1 person likes this.
  7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Brooks isn't a bonehead. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if OKC didn't make it back to the Finals for several years. Too many unknowns in the league today. There is not one dominant player in the West like there is in the East. Injuries also play a big role. Westbrook and Durant haven't gone down with anything major yet. And they may never. They seem very durable. But.....if one of them does tear up a knee, no chance for the Thunder to make the Finals. And you still have to win 3 series to get to the Finals, no easy task in and of itself. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it back real soon. And it wouldn't surprise me if they were there again next season.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Those are unlikely destinations for both of those players.

Both of these coaches are mediocre. I don't see the point in blaming the Brooks for this loss. Would you have said the same thing if Harden didn't play like a wuss? Or Ibaka didn't shrink into a small player? Blaming coaches is too easy when it was so obvious that 2 of OKC's best players didn't show up. Simple as that.

Barring injuries, Miami will be there again. The East is so pathetically weak that it's not even funny. DRose won't be back until late next year, if at all. And they still have no offense. NYK is never going to be a contender with Melo. Indy may have a shot, but if George becomes a true star, a big if.

In the West, the only scenarios are if:
    1) Dwill goes to Dallas, which all indications say he's not.
    2) BG takes his game to another level, which will elevate the Clips to contender status.

Lakers and Spurs are too old. So as of RIGHT NOW, I say it's Heat v. OKC again.

#2808 t_mac1, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Outside of the Nets I'm not sure what you would consider a likely destination for Howard. The Bulls have to be one of the teams high up on the list of destinations for him.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't blame Brooks for game 6 because that was a lost cause. I've gone into specifics about games 2 & 3, which typify his tenure at OKC. Nobody has even tried to defend whatever rationale he may have had. Harden has also been discussed and the term I used earlier, "Maximum Failure", says it best.

You can generalize and say both Spo and Brooks are mediocre, but I can't think of anything Spo did wrong. Brooks never adjusted to Miami's new lineup, so from a coaching standpoint, it was checkmate starting with game 2. For that matter, I can't remember anything Spo did wrong last year in the Finals.

OKC and MIA are the most likely teams to make the Finals next year, but either team falling short wouldn't shock me. I don't see this as an obvious beginning of a Heat dynasty of 3-4 rings. That is waaay too premature.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's not like Spolestra is a great coach either. In the end it all boils down to the player's capabilities.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. SacTown

SacTown Member

eh, Heat may not win it next year but I think it's safe to say they will make the finals. Nobody in the east can compete with them. Bulls maybe, but that's only if Rose gets healthy which isn't likely next season.

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Hes not leadin in stls and assts. Lin is. N his defense has been non existent so far.

15. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

:grin: Lol x1,000, what is this, i dont even....