1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[advice] Planning a Disney World vacation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by no_answer, Apr 10, 2008.

1. no_answer

no_answer Member

We're planning on going during Christmas when our daughter is 3 1/2 (Dec 2009).
    Is it too soon to take her? I kinda think my husband wants to go for himself. Is it better to buy a package directly through disney worlds or get a travel agent?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

3.5 isn't too young. she'll love it. and none of you are promised another day...so if you think you'll have a good day at disney, then take it and enjoy it. take pictures.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

We bought a package straight from Disney and got a really good deal for a five night trip. Stayed in the French Quarter area (I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was very convenient accommodations)

I would say at 3 1/2 she is plenty old enough to enjoy it. Make sure you do the Princess track where she gets to do the breakfast and everything at the Magic Kingdom. They also have little stroller things at the parks if she gets tired.

My sister was 14 when we went (I was 28) and we had a lot of fun. I think its good at any age. So your husband will probably have a good time too. I recommend MGM for him. ;)

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I say it's too early. Your kid needs to be older to get the most out of it. IMO, one of the most valuable things about taking kids on vacations is the kids' memories of it all.

But go for your husband's sake if you like and your daughter will have a good time too.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, I think my wife and I went for ourselves, and we also took our kids... meh, maybe they'd enjoy it. ;)

My youngest was 2 and the other was 4 when we went, and we had a great time. They will remember it forever and we probably will go back again when they're older and deserve it. We've also gone to DisneyLand.

There are plenty of threads on advice... I think one of the ones I remember is to take plenty of water... but since you'll go when it's relatively cooler than when I took my family (twice), you won't need so much. Also, another thing I'd recommend is that, if you plan on seeing MANY parks and not just Magic Kingdom, take one day in between parks to rest. Walking and carrying things will take a toll on your body, unless you're used to walking major theme parks. :cool:

We didn't book through Disney since we knew a friend in the travel business, but I hear many resorts do well on packages now. There are also plenty of Disney fan forums. Check out their plans directly, and then compare with travel agents.

Shall we look up these threads for you?

6. MadMax

as an aside, i believe my family will be there in december 09 as well. :D

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I hate you. :eek: ;) :D

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I took my oldest when she was that age. I've always thought it's worth it to spend the bucks and stay on-site. While we were there, my daughter got sick and the hotel sent her an autographed picture of Sleeping Beauty (her favorite) with a personal message and a bunch of other stuff. A day later we serendipitously ended up with a private audience with Sleeping Beauty and Prince Charming. It made my daughter's life (up to that point).

Make sure you get on the list early for the Princess breakfast in the Castle... that is a must for any girl of that age.

We stayed at the Coronado... pretty much the cheapest of the middle tier, it was quiet and relaxed.

9. MadMax

remember, refman...a frown is just a smile turned upside down.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I would really like to go on a trip to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. It's only about a 12 hour drive from where I live. Has anybody been there before?

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Drop the kid off at the neighbors or a Target or something and go to Mexico

12. no_answer

no_answer Member

Por Favor.

My husband wants to stay in some outdoorsy cabin looking place they have there, anyone stayed there?

13. WildSweet&Cool

Well, the thing is...

The kid is going to have a great time, no doubt. But you've got to consider that, at 3 1/2, she's not going to be large enough to ride many of the rides (not even the ride rides). Use a Google search (like this one) to find which rides she will/won't be able to get on.

Here's a link to some Disneyworld-for-preschoolers info.

also.....

She'll have fun, but when she's older, she probably won't remember much, if any, of it. With that in mind you might want to consider a more cost-efficient holiday that she might also enjoy and postpone the Disney World trip for a few years.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Ours were 2 and 4 when we went. THey loved it, although the 2 yo slept through most of the day.

Go at their pace, and you'll have a blast. There's a book called Disney for Kids that has lots of tips.

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You can always go back.

The cool thing about preschoolers, is you don't have to spend a too much. You can bring your drinks and souvenirs from offsite, you don't have to go to the fancy character breakfasts if you don't want to....and you can pretty much stay at any hotel with a shuttle and a pool.

Have fun.

16. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

Took mine when she was 2 and 3...going again this year and she will be 4 ..going in september...best time she ever had....had breakfast with the characters and I almost cried just seeing her enjoy it so much....holla!

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I will be there on June 28. First time. Disney makes me ill. This might too.

[​IMG]

19. playlife

playlife Member

I've been there 2 years ago..it was awesome. Felt like I was still on the roller coaster when I was sleeping at night :(

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do people plan vacations 20 months in advance? Fer real? I guess it makes some sense. I've planned 12 months out before.