1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. SENATE Election - Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Oct 25, 2020.

?

Who is your vote for Texas U.S. Senator?

1. John Cornyn - Republican

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Mary Jennings "MJ" Hegar - Democrat

29 vote(s)
    93.5%
  3. Kerry McKennon - Libertarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. David B. Collins - Green

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

These are the Candidates

John Cornyn - Republican
    Mary Jennings "MJ" Hegar - Democrat
    Kerry McKennon - Libertarian
    David B. Collins - Green

I have not seen the latest polls but they are fighting hard in the commercials
    Well Cornyn and Hegar.

Who does Clutchfans Favor? And Why?

Rocket River

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like Hegar's Dykes on Bikes commercials.

Actually, Cornyn has got to go. Republicans who toss Trump's salad need to go. Cornyn is one. Not as horrific as Cruz but no more palatable.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

MJ Hagar is a Bandido and was the lead singer of Van Halen.

tmoney1101 and Dubious like this.
  4. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I will be voting Hegar because I very much do not like John Cornyn, but I don't think she is a great candidate and I don't see her winning even if Texas goes blue for the presidential and State House, which I think is becoming increasingly likely.

Dubious and Andre0087 like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Judging from the poll here, it's going to be Hegar in a landslide! ;)

Really, it should be a comfortable win for Cornyn despite everything. But I voted for Hegar. One, because Trump earned a vote for the Democrat from me for every stinking race. Two, because I've had it out for Cornyn especially since he got involved in the Rail on Richmond thing with some backroom bs. Federal politicians should stay out of our local business.

Dubious and Deckard like this.
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Please educate me. Why is it a "comfortable win" for Cornyn?

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

All R-s on the ballot deserve to lose for being complicit in aiding and abetting trump in leading our country in the wrong direction.

8. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I don't have it as a "comfortable" win but I do think it's very likely Cornyn wins. I put Hegar's chances at roughly 10%, while I think there's closer to a 45% chance of Texas going for Biden.

Hegar hasn't run a very inspiring campaign, has stayed on defense a lot rather than being a positive candidate, has way lower name recognition than she should at this point, and is consistently polling a bunch of points behind Biden, though it is worth mentioning that nearly every Senate poll shows significantly more undecideds than the presidential (again, name recognition). I also think Texas is likely to have a lot more split ballot voters than some other states- You can see evidence of this in 2018 where while Cruz won by only 2 points, Greg Abbott won by 13 points. I think Biden is picking off a lot of Suburban ex-Republican voters, who are more explicitly anti-Trump than pro-Democrat and could be a split Biden/Cornyn voter. The New York Times had a piece today on the Texas State House race that profiled a voter like that.

I think Biden will do about 2-4 points better than Hegar, and I think the margins will be too close for her to win with that.

9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

Maybe not comfortable but looks like a 4th term for Cornyn

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...slightly-narrows-cornyns-lead-in-senate-race/

edit: she'd get my vote for her stance on decriminalization vs Cornyn's tired stance of "we need more research" and "we must protect the children"

#9 ryan_98, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Red state, hasn't had Democrat win a statewide in many many years. So no matter how awful the republican is... he will win.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yup we're still Texas, old rich white men rule