1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2020.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Rofl. Awesome.

htwnbandit and RayRay10 like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Is it OK, to start talking about playoff rotation? For the three game series against Oakland or Minnesota:
    Gm1: Greinke (he pitched Wednesday so should be in line to start this game)
    Gm2: Urquidy (he would be on normal rest after pitching today...would also make the most sense based on performance)
    Gm3: McCullers or Framber (this one is tough...both pitched well against Oakland this season...my guess is McCullers gets the call...watch who they pitch tomorrow...if McCullers goes, he'd be on normal rest and would be on normal rest for Game 3...If they give Valdez a few innings or start him even on short rest, it's likely he goes in Game 3.

3. conquistador#11

"We not da' best." "And another L " The DJ Khaled references crack me up. Father time is nothing to mess with.

It's just 4 years though, not 10. That's the incredible part:
    2016 when people where saying he should be the 2B of the Stros:
    [​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

One of the worst if not the worst contract in baseball now

davidio840 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. mightybosstone

Last night's game was fun, and I can't remember the last time I said that about the 'Stros. If they want to have any hope of making a playoff run, this needs to be a momentum builder for them offensively. The pitching has been pretty damn good the last 10 games or so, but they're not going to go anywhere if the offense is as anemic as it has been.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

One ugly actually. Garneau. 0 for 5 with 4 strikeouts. Hitting .125 on the year now.

We really need another catcher...

HTown2017Champs and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

i don’t understand why Stubbs isn’t getting the nod as the backup catcher. Garneau hasn’t hit worth a damn or thrown out runners this year. Stubbs at least puts up some competitive at bats and can’t be any worse than Garneau Behind the plate. That being said, Maldonado has provided much more than I expected from him this year. He’s been huge.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maldonado has been a work horse... I believe he's still leading baseball in games caught.

Wouldn't likely hold up over 162 at this rate, but hopefully he's got a few more weeks left in him.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They really should be focused on not having another early first round exit. Them facing the Reds is probably the worst possible pitching matchup there is.... or they face the Giants who have played them tough this year.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... unless Stubbs is just a huge defensive liability, I don't understand why he hasn't gotten a start or two over Garneau.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stubbs isn't even on the team right now, correct? He's with the taxi squad.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That may be true, but it doesn't change my statement.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he wasn't catching anybody regularly prior to his demotion 2 weeks ago... and also wasn't doing much of anything in his appearances to suggest he would be a better option.

Maybe they left it up to Strom and the pitching staff... and they didn't think he was good enough? I agree Garneau hurts my eyes.

In the end, Maldonado is going to set some sort of record for catching consecutive days/games... especially in the playoffs where there will likely be a 5 game series over 5 days, followed by a 7 game series in 7 days.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bobby Bonilla faints

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

When it goes, it can go very fast. George Costanza said it best. "14 months...maybe 10"

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Garneau doesn't have options (i.e., he's active, Stubbs is on taxi). As much as passed balls/wild pitches make Garneau look bad, those things tend to come in bunches, and probably won't be as frequent in the future. Overall, Stubbs...Garneau.....it is basically a toss up regarding performance going forward as I highly doubt either one is vastly better than the other in limited time, but the way the Astros are handling it, they will have both next season.

As much grief as Garneau gets, has anyone else noticed that Maldonado is absolutely getting hosed by umpires this year despite having a couple of games that the umps called everything a strike.

#76 Joe Joe, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Poloshirtbandit

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Intriguing. Either he has symptoms, was exposed to somebody with known symptoms/+test, or he simply tested positive.

The first and latter unlikely or else the entire team would have to be quarantined. But if he starts showing symptoms, they'll have to contact trace him to this past week (when he was around team), and would be quite the time for them to have to stop playing games.

I also thought they were going to bubble all playoff teams in the last week... to try and avoid something such as this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If they canceled the Astros games this weekend then just need the Angels to lose once and the Astros are in and the games wouldn't need to be made up. Astros get a "bi-week" until the playoffs start next week. Social media will claim the Astros cheated the system to get time off before the playoffs start.

RayRay10 likes this.