1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Rockets Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Jeff van gundy is the only guy they can hire that would energize the fanbase

bloodwings19 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. junk151

junk151 Member

Any coach that can make changes to the team and make them play with heart would energize me as a fan.

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I’ll take Billy the kid. Let’s see what coach morey says.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steal Popovich!

Rocketeer4Life and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I’ve heard JVG or Ty Lue. Hadn’t heard of anyone else. Although I have heard Kenny Smith wants to coach. I think he interviewed for some jobs within the last year. That would be interesting.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jay Wright

fckbandwagons likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nahhh...he wouldn't have a play to call if he's down by 1 with 10 seconds left.

payaso and RayRay10 like this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

They need to interview Chris Beard from Texas Tech. Surprised he hasn’t gotten more attention from the NBA.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Popovich ain't gonna come here for two seasons of desperation ball and then an incredibly painful rebuild for the forseeable future (we have no picks lol).

Its clear we need to make another hail mary change for coaching though. Moreyball, D'Antoni ball doesn't work. JVG 10 years outdated trash offense slow as hell P&R ball probably won't work either but the window is 1 maybe 2 more seasons. You gotta do something.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

My buddy at work is a Phoenix Suns fan from back in the day with Nash and Stoudmire. He said to me that the Rockets would never win a championship with MDA as a head coach mainly because he does not adapt for playoff games. Great regular season coach. Mediocre playoff coach.

JoeBarelyCares, csnerd84 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Well it doesn't take a Suns fan to realise that, buy yeah. I figured that since the beginning, he's quite arrogant in his "we just have to do what we do and then we'll be fine". Well, the Lakers are forcing you not to shoot threes and even if they did, we still probably wouldn't win due to MDA. Having a non-shooter in Westbrook and a passive leader in Harden doesn't help, but that is what it is, MDA needs to adapt but dinosaurs cannot so time to evolutionise.

Hakeemtheking and payaso like this.
  12. eman

eman Contributing Member

I vote JVG.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith, or Mario Elie? Robert Horry as advisor, show 'em those rings. No coaches on the horizon that can re-ignite a receding interest.

14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Ty Lue and Van Gundy are the only options to me. The reason you have to have guys that are use to confronting superstars and winning at a high level. The other is being able to adjust your strategy in game to help your team win

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Sam Cassell would be my pick

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I love JVG the person and respected his fire as a coach, but i fear the same stubborn refusal to adapt in a 7 game series. I wouldn't be mad if we hired Jeff, but i feel like JVG and Morey would clash a lot. JVG no doubt understands the importance of the 3 ball now and he would adopt that into his gameplan, but still cut down drastically. I'm also not sure he's interested in position-less basketball.
    Even his brother Stan was still trying to build traditionally big in Detroit and was winning sub 40 games before getting canned and joining TNT calling game likes Jeff. Maybe the NBA has left the Van Gundys behind.
    I'm just not sure another stubborn coach who refuses to adapt the gameplan team to team or game to game in a 7 game series is what we need. More of the same.
    Put it this way. If JVG was coaching this Lakers team vs our Rockets. McGee and Dwight would still be playing the majority of the game and the Rockets would be up 3-1 right now because of Jeffs refusal to adapt. Mike only coming out as the winner because this team is just a match-up nightmare for big, slow teams.
    Do we really want more of that?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coach AHMP

Another Harden/Morey puppet.

(But sorry Ty Lue or any other coach, you want $7M/$8M, Tilman's out on that.)

Nook likes this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

What's Hakeem up to these days?

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

JVG and Harden would clash like no other. Harden needs a player's coach because he does a lot of unorthodox things that would make a stern coach like Pop or JVG pull out what's left of their hair.

20. macan

macan Member

bring JVG back, let's do the old school way