1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Rockets Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, Sep 11, 2020.

1. junk151

junk151 Member

If Morey stays then there will be no rebuilding.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What’s Ettore Messina up too these days?

matchesmalone likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Kelvin Sampson is well liked by Morey and Harden. Their relationship is pretty strong. Sampson is exceptional at building culture and is charismatic and gets his players to play strong defense.

Right now he has a pretty good thing going at UH. His family works for the university and his son will likely take over and he has the program on the cusp of being one of the dozen best in the country and improving.

If there is anyone that would be able to get Sampson to leave it would be the Rockets because of his relationships with everyone from the owner to the GM and players.

If TF is smart he will leave this hire completely to the GM. He is a new owner and already screwed up several times. Let Morey prove how good or bad a GM he really is.

Silas I would think would be a strong candidate. Morey wanted Silas last time and really impressed him. What this team needs is someone that can set the proper culture like has been established in Miami and San Antonio and Toronto and a couple other places. We have a strong progressive culture, which is great but we need a culture of either being strong on toughness and effort or discipline or fundamentals. MDA is a Hall of Famer but he doesn’t bring that consistency. MDA is like Don Nelson.

Look at the Heat, at the attention to detail in that organization and the clear expectations. They are not perfect, they make mistakes in free agency and the draft. However they always play hard and improve and have clear guidelines.

Our front office is extremely hard working and detail oriented but that doesn’t always carry over to the coaching culture. I don’t know if Silas is that kind of coach (he may be) but an ambitious, organized and bright coach would help a whole lot.

joshuaao, Deuce, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

With you all the way dude. No one wants to talk about it(they just want to blame Harden) but Mike has gotten so out coached this series. Its really unfortunate.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

@Nook

Are you hearing any chatter about Morey to Philly? I've been hearing it from different places, by no means am I an insider.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

The only coach who can fix Harden... Mourinho
    But in all seriousness, someone who can talk to Harden after some of his less interested games.

Junebball likes this.
  7. vick

vick Member

It will be a coach that will accept discount coupons at Landrys instead of money.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Not recently but it wouldn’t be a shock. TF is tough to work for and has a lot of control over the moves the Rockets make. Also TF is very emotional and impulsive and susceptible to what the media says.

Philadelphia would be a team attractive to a GM and they have the money to take on his contract. The real question is whether Morey would want to leave Houston after so long (even if fired). My guess is he would jump at the Sixers deal if the Rockets decided to let Morey go and Philadelphia was interested.

RayRay10, Rudyc281 and 13BeardsIN1 like this.
  9. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I have some clients who know I'm a big Rockets fan just randomly tell me don't be surprised if you see Morey in Philly.

Nook likes this.
  10. jowman

jowman Member

Tillman’s gonna bring in his cousin or something and make him give him a family discount to coach the team.

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

MDA not coming back has to be accompanied by Morey leaving as well. Or else there's no point. The same strategy with another coach is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Imanimal likes this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If Morey stays (spoiler alert - he will due to his 4 million dollar/year 5 year deal)....he will try to re-sign MDA to a 2 year (team option 3rd year). No other coach will run his small ball system that he has been grooming for years. Perfect Morey coach and he said as much to the USA Today last week. Morey runs the team NOT Tilman.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Uhm no, if Tilman says no then Morey's hands are tied. And in this case, coach MDA is free after this year so can just decide not to return. Probably in his best interest, because you know if he doesn't perform, Tilman will fire him.

14. realonemo

realonemo Member

Sam Cassell

matchesmalone likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I wish I could like this post 1000x times.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weren't there rumors of Pop leaving SAS?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very well stated! What you outline here in terms of coaching and culture really are important and I think that needs to be key moving forward.

I think the Rockets progressive style of play is good. You can see the league is moving towards that. Just that, the roster needs to be tweaked a bit. Boston and Toronto play a lot of smallball. But their smalls are longer than our smalls. That's the difference.

Just need a new coach to take what we have now and look at things with a new perspective to unlock more variety.

I think Harden is very open to being coached. But that coaching relationship with Harden will be very important. There needs to be respect, but at the same time we need a coach to hold Harden accountable if he strays from the system.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey goes to Philly and then trades for CP3. LOL, that would be something.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JVG does not excite me. I would want a more progressive coach that is looking where the NBA is trending in the future and NOT where the NBA has been in the past.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the friggin problem IMO.

Fertitta is here to cut costs but when he is asked to really run the team, he hands it to Morey.

Morey himself got to use the eye test more in terms of playoff ball, not just his stats.

I think it would be best if the owner understood game plans and more there is to bball.

Rudyc281 likes this.