1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Rockets Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, Sep 11, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would like to see a more progressive and balanced roster. (significantly younger)

Don't we all?!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You beat us all to the punch, brocephus.

"And what is your client looking for in salary?"

"Oh, I'd say six milli....." (Fertitta blanches.) "Five......um, four plus incentives? Three?"

"I was thinking two million and a bunch of coupons for any of my restaurants, valid for one year."

"Well, will the medical pay for my client's ulcers and melatonin?"

pippendagimp and daywalker02 like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I would still LOVE JVG!
    Get him some young upncomer to be the offensive coordinator - its mostly preordained anyway with 3s and layups.... just need an xs and os guy to make adjustments and maximize opportunities...
    Meanwhile, JVG can oversee the defense - and overall intensity...
    Guys are always willing to go to war and sacrifice for that crazy lil terrier! lol

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Me too. But because of #Tilman we have had to waste assets that would have achieved that.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If the next guy is as progressive as you wished, hope they let him work and not have him put up with 3 and layup.... again.

Tell Harden his days as boss are over.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Give me a guy who will play three bigs, take mostly mid range and will have Harden move off the ball the whole game.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Uh, small correction, I think you mean occasional mid-range. Threes and Layups are still the best strategy, but you need a release valve sometimes. If you are taking mid range most of the game, you are losing.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say dunks but yeah... midrange, floaters, stepbacks, fadeaways, one legged, pullups... you name it.

Start a workshop on how to move offball.

Your 3 pt percentage goes down in the postseason.

The Rockets are doing it mechanically.

Everyone should improve their handles and make plays that includes PJ and Covington.

(We might even see it this game, MDA is desperate. He would want Boris Diaws on his team. )

#89 daywalker02, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

wtf has jvg won?
    Ground yao to a nub and limited hus game.
    Made the most dynamic center of his generation
    Into ricSmith. 2.0

Hell now

Rocket River

11. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Man, if Pop left San Antonio that would be sweet if we can get him. Don’t know why he is still there honestly? He should have left when Duncan retired, I think I heard him say it once to Tim” I’ll coach as long as you are still playing” or something like that. He got everything he could out of that team and their window is now finally closed.

But if he left, out of loyalty don’t see him going to another Texas team.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He goes to Philly and trades for Harden

Rocket River.
    Lol

13. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Too bad Thibs is off the market. Watching him coach House would be better than Sanford & Son.

14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

On second thought I can hope the knicks are still dumb enough to trade for him.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I keep thinking if the Rockets somehow got Adelman sooner (obviously not possible w/ Kings) or another coach it might have been a lot different. I don't dislike JVG but I don't think he was the best fit for Yao/t-mac.

On a side note - while I don't disagree with you on Yao's usage, I tend to forget sometimes that Yao basic played year round which really wrecked his career.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

A couple of proven coaches with Rockets roots have been mentioned often inside the league as potential replacements for D'Antoni: ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy, the Rockets' coach from 2003 to 2007 who maintains a home in Houston; and former Brooklyn Nets coach Kenny Atkinson, the Rockets' director of player development during the first season of Morey's tenure.

Another name to watch: New Orleans Pelicans associate head coach Chris Finch. His résumé as a head coach includes championships won in the British Basketball League and with the Rockets' G League affiliate Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Finch also spent five recent seasons as a Rockets assistant, so there's a lot of familiarity between Finch and Morey.

A mindset similar to Morey's is a must for a Rockets coach.

So if D'Antoni's run with the Rockets is indeed done, Houston's search will be for a coach who can thrive in a similar style. For better or worse, the Rockets' small-ball run seems to be just starting.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  17. sungjina

sungjina Member

Please be JVG. I felt like he was doing a better job coaching from the commentary box in this game than MDA did on the floor.

LabMouse and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. PWR

PWR Member

Bill Laimbeer.
    Ex Bad Boy Piston
    3X WNBA Championship Head Coach
    2X Coach of the Year
    Certified A-Hole who will bring toughness to this nut-less team/organization.

19. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Becky Hammon or
    Byron Scott or Mark Jackson or Brett Brown,

20. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Keep hearing good things about Kenny Atkinson. Most likely though it’s gonna be Ty Lue or JVG