1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Joe Biden Veepstakes thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The reality is that we as a society have a bias against what we view as women pandering as well.

The President panders more than anyone...... and the over whelming majority of prior presidents were incredibly transparent when it came to pandering. Hell, look at Joe Biden, he panders but we are conditioned to accept that is part of politics - for men.

The reality is that we view it differently by gender and it has seriously cost Clinton, Warren and Harris dearly...... hell Hillary and Elizabeth Warren did everything that they could and it ultimately did not matter.

To be clear, I am as guilty as anyone else as I have called into question all three candidates - but I think we at least need to be aware of our individual biases.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Then, you are as blind as a bat. Here’s a tweet from Trump yesterday:

That’s as racist and sexist as it comes.

Also, Harris served as the Attorney General of California for six years (2011-2017). Then, she has held a Senate position for the last 3.5 years, being a part of numerous committees, most notably the Senate Judiciary Committee. She has nearly 10 years of political experience, not to mention more than 20 years working in America’s legal system.

#922 DVauthrin, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

What a winning ticket you Dems have in Biden/Harris.

Neither one of them believes in anything and only one knows what day it is.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s disgusting and sad that there is a still a large percentage of Americans that think women shouldn’t hold high-ranking positions in businesses and government, no matter what. Kamala Harris is more than qualified to be Biden’s running mate, and she was very impressive in her initial speech yesterday. I saw an eloquent, intelligent leader when she spoke. That’s the kind of person I want leading America.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I didn't mention Trump because I thought it was glaringly obvious especially given everyone here knows my opinions of him already. I think pulling out hot sauce in a podcast centered around Black issues is severely out of touch and and is obvious pandering. I think pulling out the sexism card against Bernie or coming out and bragging about being 1/1024 native American is blatant excessive pandering that an above average politician in this specific skillset is going to be significantly more self-aware in.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Pulling out hot sauce is pandering..... but she was already accused of it before that ever happened.

As for Warren, we will disagree on her with Sanders. As for the Native American issue, I do believe that she was sincere in believing she was native american. However, the issue did not die down and then she botched it.... I do not think it would be nearly as big a deal had she been a male. Just look at some of the stuff Biden has said over the years for example.

jiggyfly, Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Corn Pop/Copmela might pull this one off.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean I rag on Biden more than Warren. And what part do you disagree about Warren when she tried to get the media to call Bernie a sexist?

I'm sure Warren sincerely believed in her parent's claims. What was out of touch was thinking that sharing a result that says you are 1/1024th Native American to prove your point was a good thing.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If Warren is being honest about what Sanders said to her, I do not have a problem with her saying it. We just disagree on it.

I agree that how Warren handled the situation concerning her results was bad and it is part of the reason she did not win the nomination.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I though that IS what I said, or at least implied :)

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  12. generalthade_03

Try again. Can’t see

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Use your imagination...

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The Dem has a diverse base. As a consequence, they have more diversity for the last few candidates for P/VP - half-black man, white woman, biracial woman. The Rep was once somewhat diverse but has gotten less. They have less diverse candidates for P/VP - white man(s), white woman.

This is more a reflection of the party and their base than playing a race or sex card. I think you can’t expect a biracial woman as the top ticket of the Rep party almost as much as you can’t expect an all white men top ticket of the Dem party’s.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trump is currently talking about shower water.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you haven't seen it, here is her first campaign speech as Joe Biden's running mate. It's an excellent speech, one I highly recommend. In fact, I was surprised at how effective it is. She's a really good contrast to Biden. Everyone should give it a look, in my opinion.

Besides thanking Joe for picking her as his running mate, talking about what they want to do for America, and giving her thoughts about trump (which he won't like at all), she talks about her mother, who migrated to the United States from India, and her father, another immigrant who came from Jamaica.

As someone who spent a couple of months in India a long time ago, I find her Indian background fascinating and would like to learn more about it. One of my daughter's best friends, who she met in high school, is the son of an Indian family who came to our country when he was a small child. Today? He's a very successful software developer who lives in San Francisco. I think there are more Americans of Indian and South Asian heritage here than most realize.

Well worth watching. It made me feel better about the pick.

DVauthrin, deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Biden-Harris vs Trump-What's Left of the U.S. Postal Service.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. generalthade_03

I’ve been saying that for years. Water pressures from these regulated shower heads suck the big donkey doo. Mr Trump just wants to make America’s hair great again. What’s wrong with that?

19. generalthade_03

https://images.app.goo.gl/nordRpSJB3HWPzBa9

I’ll see your half blooded Indian and raise you a full blooded one.

20. Fantasma Negro