1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got the new Pixel 4: damn it is nice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, May 2, 2020.

1. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

If you want the BEST ANDROID EXPERIENCE. PURE Google Phone is the way to go! I'm still rocking my Pixel 2 going on almost 3 years. Will upgrade to pixel 5 this winter. Everything on this phone still works. No defect or slow down.

vupac1 and Richie_Rich like this.
  2. what

what Member

So Huawei is open source? Now that is interesting. If the company embrace the Linux community: this could be a game changer.
    A company that big coming out with a true Linux phone would be something I might sit up and take notice of.
    Again your hated of the pixel is unfounded.

3. what

what Member

Yeah it is a great great phone.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ok so which phone do you recommend?

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am not making recommendations. Huawei P30 pro worked great for my needs but it might not for you. I didnt want to get another pixel after poor experience with them.

It's your job to do your homework and pick a phone that suits your needs.

I was just pointing out that Pixel is more about software than hardware. It's hardware is lacking, has had issues, and for the well known mic problems, they even had to pay out in a law suit.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm on my first iphone for the last couple years and it's pretty sweet. I wish the screen was a higher res, but that's about it.

Don't have to worry about getting malware from its own store either.

I used to spend time rooting my phone and putting random crap on it. The only thing I miss is free hotspot tethering, but I haven't traveled in a long time and haven't had the need to use it a lot.

To each their own.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Don't listen to the haters. The Pixel is a great phone. It's simple and not over featured. Sure it's not the best bang for the buck but for what it does it's great. I haven't experienced any of the issues Zboy outlined though I'm not crazy to think Pixels don't have their issue. I assume you're using the new google assistant on the pixel 4. Let me know if you experience this as others I know with the Pixel 4 have. I've brought it up to Google support and they can't figure it out.

1) Start navigation to any destination
    2) While in the current navigation, try to use the voice command to route to a new location.
    3) Check to see if it actually changes the destination even though it says it does.
    4) Most likely it did not change.

Example

1) OK google, navigate to work
    2) navigation starts
    3) OK google Navigate home
    4) Google confirms its going home
    5) Check the route and it should still be trying to navigate to work

8. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

iPhone gang.. I got an iPhone 3g that still works fine...

got a android g3 or wtv it was called, use it as paper weight

9. what

what Member

I did this and it said welcome home, although I had to do it fast because Google already had me there.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I have MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Mac mini, and, of course, a pixel 4xl...
    Makes sense to me...

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Try something other than home then. I've been able to reproduce it on every pixel 4 i've come across. Only way it works properly is if you're not using the updated google assistant. (comes with pixel 4 series only), or using a language that is not supported by the new google assistant. Factory reset won't work.

Maybe it's better you don't try it. Everyone's phone I've tried it on I was able to reproduce it but the user was never aware. Now they are disappointed it's broken like that hahaha.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've had multiple pixel phones with zero mic issues.

13. fchowd0311

Almost every phone manufacturer in existence probably had to pay up to a class action lawsuits for a defect in their device from Apple to Samsung. That statement really doesn't say much.

14. what

what Member

The only thing that frustrates me about the pixel 4 is the fact that Google refuses to allow you to mirror your phone without Chromecast and Chromecast requires wifi. That alone will cost me an extra $25 per month, because Google wants you buy all of their home products.
    It is sad.
    If it wasn't for that the pixel phone would be the greatest phone ever.
    So then you have to go to Samsung Galaxy which is a terrible phone to begin with.
    It is so frustrating.

15. fchowd0311

Not an issue form me since I already had a Chromecast but I can see how that's frustrating for someone who doesn't.

16. what

what Member

It's not Chromecast that I hate: it's the dedicated wifi that I hate. I would happily pay for chromcast if it didn't require wifi.