1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got the new Pixel 4: damn it is nice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, May 2, 2020.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Awesome. I think Pixels are trash honestly. My mother has the 3 and it's constantly having problems. No alert when someone is calling, texting issues, bad battery since day 1, etc. I hate having to try and fix every issue so I'm buying her an iPhone for mothers day. Easy for old people to use.

Zboy likes this.
  2. what

what Member

https://www.gottabemobile.com/iphone-11-problems-5-things-you-need-to-know/

We’re also hearing about Face ID problems, issues with first and third-party applications, RAM management problems, Exchange problems, iCloud issues, visual voicemail problems, Bluetooth issues, Wi-Fi issues, and sound problems.

There are also two security vulnerabilities impacting the iPhone’s Mail application. The issues, outlined by Motherboard, allow attackers modify and delete email messages.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Like I said, not surprising.

Pixel uses low grade hardware and tries to cover it up with software.

I dont have a problem with low end specs on hardware. Not many people are going to push the phone.

But I do have problem with low grade hardware which leads to quality issues and Pixel phones have plenty of them.

4. what

what Member

People also catch computer viruses all the time, ransomware: I haven't had one of them in 15 years or more.
    I can't understand how people catch viruses on computers and phones.

5. what

what Member

Hahaha

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I might try out the iPhone SE for my next device. Have been all Android so far (tho I did have a Windows Phone at one point!) but figured I should at least give it a try.

It's $400 at launch for the 64gb. When I can get one unlocked for $300 (preferably 128gb) then I'll jump.

I really just want a cheap phone that will have software/security updates for several years. The Moto G phones I've had in the past, and the LG G7 I have now, stop getting updates after a year (if that). That's annoying.

I think this move would mean I dump Fi, and that sucks. iPhones work on Fi but most of Fi's cool features don't work for iPhones... so what's the point. Will probably do Mint Mobile for $15/mo.

7. what

what Member

You have a pixel?
    I just came from a Moto z force 2 which I thought was pretty good till the pixel 4.
    I k ow zboy is ragging on it, but the phone to me is amazing, easily the best phone I have ever owned.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

no I have LG G7 ThinQ (terrible name). wife has a Pixel 3a. it's nice, imo. no issues with it.

I've never bought a higher-end phone and don't think I ever will, unless there's a price mistake somewhere that I catch. this LG was $550* which is easily the most expensive phone I've ever purchased - I usually try to stay around $200-250 and just get a new phone every 18-24 mos.

*I bought it directly from Google when they were running a promo where they would give you a gift card equivalent to the amount you spent on the phone. so I actually got a $550 hotels.com giftcard PLUS the phone for $550. a good deal! imo. but... the mrs is still not happy about it.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t think I’ve had a single problem with an iPhone in 10 years. I can’t think of a single thing at the moment.

10. what

what Member

Even when they slow down your iPhone in order to encourage you to upgrade? Or how about the $120 or $180 a year for applecare they charge you for the genius bar.
    Lol, Apple is a proprietary overpriced not worth the money load of baloney.
    Plus the extra money they charge for the repairs.
    I will never be a priority software shill. Never.
    I don't even think Apple products look that nice to be honest from a software standpoint.
    But yeah people have bought into the hype.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m using a Pixel 3A XL and really enjoy it, especially at its price point. I made this move after going from a Pixel 2 XL and decided that I really didn’t want to spend $1,000 for a new phone anymore.

It’s a simple phone that integrates well with all of the other Google products. I appreciate the streamlined pure Android OS and that they keep offering the A line as a “budget” phone going forward. Combine that with my low Project Fi monthly rate during quarantine (and how great Fi has been abroad, although that isn’t much of a selling point these days...) and I can't see myself switching any time soon.

12. what

what Member

Android on my pixel 4 is freaking great. I think that the Google Assistant is so good at this point that it can replace a mouse.
    I hated windows, I hated Linux, I hated Apple on principal: at one point I was running openbsd, which is an extremely niche unix-like os in the bsd family just to run nVi, a version of vim that I love.
    Now though I am seriously considering making my pixel my is, and using a ported version of vim called Droidvim and casting with Chromecast and a das keyboard.

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Enjoy your Pixel 4. It's a super nice phone. The soft-touch glass back that they carried over from the 3 and the textured sides made it my fav design.

I really didn't have the qa issues that others had on any of the Pixel or Nexus phones). Ram management was an issue for me though in the 3. The 4 is a good jack-of-all-trades device.

I wanted bells and whistles this go round, so gave up my Orange Pixel 4 XL for a S20 Ultra. I miss the face id, squeeze for assistant, and call screen.i don't miss the reloading of apps. My only complaint. I'm sure I'll be back in the fall for the P5.

Oh btw... the Pixel Buds are worth it if you're in the market for truly worked earbuds (and if you can catch them when they're not sold out). They're better than most out there.

cheke64 likes this.
  14. what

what Member

The buds are sold out. But yes I want them and I am also going to get the wireless stand.
    Crash assistance, too and even the screen attention that keeps the phone on when you look at it so that you can change the time out settings to 15 secs.
    Reloading apps?
    I haven't had that issue, also Google has already fixed the eyes closed issue with the screen unlock.
    People that buy a pixel on day one that phone will get better and better and that's why people loved the 3a so much. Because the software got better.
    My phone is so great right now.
    I had the Samsung 7 and then the 8+ edge when I nearly gave up smart phones completely because they annoyed me so much.
    The Moto z force 2 annoyed me a lot less so I was okay, but going to the Pixel changed the game for me.
    The assistant is lightning fast. Man I love that feature.

#34 what, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  15. what

what Member

I will say this that since I am not running the developer version that could be why I am not getting app drops.
    People tend to view the word developer as "the things Google should have done, but didn't" without seeing that developer is a synonym for experimental.
    I never add things like that because I don't care to be on the bleeding edge.
    And that's the main reason why I hate Samsung so much, because Samsung just throws everything in the kitchen sink at the phone and doesn't care anything about the UI experience.
    People rail about the uselessness of the Google Pixel 4's radar feature, but that's like the whole damn phone on Samsung is experimental s*** that makes things complicated.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I thought that Huawei phones did not work well on the LTE bands in the US. Also the fact they are banned from using Google services like the Play Store makes them a bad choice for US customers. I do agree with you about the hardware - it is very impressive.

what likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’ve never had Apple care nor needed it as I said. If it slows down??? I guess so but it still has worked and like I said I’ve personally never had a single problem. It’s from a small sample size of 4 phones though. I usually keep mine for about 3 years.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Rolling note8 still. I have been eligible for an upgrade for months but havent seen the need. This phone is in great condition

19. what

what Member

Nice

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Huawie P30 Pro was before the google ban so everything works fine and no problem with updates.