1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets will match on DMo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Dec 4, 2016.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This guy held our franchise hostage for months. We're just supposed to let him waltz right back in on good graces and give him a pass when he comes in rusty and out of shape?

Not gon be able to do it!

How many passes did Harden get last year for being out of shape hmm? Got him left off the All NBA team. DMo fans better prepare themselves to answer the tough questions.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  2. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Not sure this is true. Don't believe you can re-sign a waived player

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

flexIbility with an I knowledge is power

So, I'm gathering you are down for DMo and think it could be a chip worthy squad? I really do believe they could win with this squad, I'm drinking a little koolaid and every chip came with some good fortune and good luck along the way but I don't think many teams can post rosters like the one we have. GSW has top end talent but it falls off dramatically, same for Cavs. To me, it's just a matter of not giving into the super teams...finding and allowing for the depth and variety of a squad like this to succeed. I think Dmo is another piece, he's the guy who can fill in stretch 4 behind Anderson OR he's the guy you can go to for postups if the game needs it. Was it the Raptors who were straight running shooters off the 3 pt line? But they had no other alternative. Utah maybe. Both maybe lol...but when teams have the answers to stop Harden's drive, the answer to shooters hanging out on the 3 line....THAT'S when you needed Dmo to go to work on the post. The attack right now is to spread the floor and let Harden work. When opposing defenses have the means to spread with you AND contest Harden is when you need to switch it up. Having everyone spread out, give DMo room to dance and scoop shot his way to glory and they'll crash back down on him....then you have your spread attack again. Punch, counter punch.

BigMaloe, HakeemOnlyFan and Communist like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

We wouldn't be waiving him...I think. Just not picking up his 2nd year option. Could be wrong though.

5. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Well for F sake. Busy day. Just now could log in and check. I really thought there would be resolution. sh*t or get off the pot guys.

6. craguin

craguin Member

He would have to be waived by 3/1/2017...

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thanks. Yeah, that changes the dynamic some. Makes me think you really have to commit to both seasons if you match.

Tough decision. I trust Morey on this, but I hope we match.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

BamBam and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    I don't even want to know what's behind that door.....

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But then why not just sign that $60m/4yr contract with the Nets in Sept that you reported, when he had a chance.

Matching insures no trades for a year, too.

Probably because there was no Big Deal *ever* in the Summer. So, he pushed the deadline to call Morey's bluff. Didn't work, so they then put out a call around the league for best offer ... and this is it. $8.3m base salary....with 2yr Year Bust Protection allowing waiving up to March 1st ... and incredibly Team-Friendly Yr 3 and Yr 4 with guarantee trigger dates *after* the July Moratorium.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm slowly coming around to this idea also. What if houston really is a true contender. They have wins at SA and GS played the Cavs close in an early game with no bev.

I'm also of the belief that this team is a lot better than they have shown. Not matte what they say because I know they wouldn't..... there tired especially harden.

They been on the road for 75% of the time since preseason. We were out of the country for a week.

Harden is prob not a 50/40 shooter like he started out the first 10 games but he's also a lot better than what he's shown the last 5-6 games..... and we're still winning and to make it even better against good teams.

Wait till harden starts shooting 46/38 like I think he will and is very capable of doing and things will open up even more for himself and the team.

Grabbing dmo assuming his back is fine at 9m a year is worth a shot to see if you can really make a run at a chip this year.

Why not we have nothing to lose. If a max player wants to come here via signing or trade I'm sure morey will and can make it happen very easily. He's flipped off much worse assets to clear space in the past.

And if dmo succeeds, having a 7ft player with his skillet locked in for 4 years under 10m is awesome even if he's just a first big off the bench.

Richie_Rich and Dankstronaut like this.
  13. alethios

alethios Member

So we're banking on this being the team going forward to take us to the promised land? Not much chance of signing a big FA this summer after matching.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's movable in the offseason; if he's as healthy as the Nets say he is, then I think he's going to be considered a value deal.

I personally like it. Nene and Anderson may get hurt. Capela is having trouble playing big minutes. Harrell has been good but he still needs work if we are going to play him big minutes. We could use a 5th big, especially as Nene has declined on both ends of the floor - we shouldn't be relying on him to play heavy minutes for us.

This is a reasonable deal under the new cap and while it would have been nice to have him signed 2 weeks ago, he's still movable in the offseason. In fact, that may work to our advantage if he's productive and we do need to move him in a trade.

15. gory

gory Member

Brooklyn said they intentionally waited for it. They wanted DMo being not so attractive for Rockets to match.

16. opticon

opticon Member

@heypartner

I ment to quote this guy not you.

I think Morey has a trade brewing to create roster space.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought Morey used an iPhone. Didn't he use an iPad for his FA pitch? :D

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

If Blake or CP or someone else wants to come to Houston, it will happen. Dmo is not the difference between signing a max level guy and not.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That makes no sense. Did you get that from RealGM's Nets forum, who also reported (wrongly) a 3yr/$40m offer, because they thought that would put us over the tax line -- which is wrong?

As ppl have said countless times here, any match forces a Player Veto Power on the matching team for an entire year. It's a CBA rule. So, what reason do Nets have to wait, other than for DMo to get desperate and drop his asking price, which seems he clearly did, just like Varegao and Fegan did in Dec 2008.

DMo holding out was about a direct signing with the Rockets.

The one-yr Veto Power could have happened from Sept signing to Sept 2017 or anytime in the year. The Nov 24th deadline was only important if DMo signed directly with the Rockets.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Samsung for his left ear, iPhone for his right. He's a busy dude.

Easy likes this.