1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Whitlock turning the flamethrower on Katie Nolan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 21, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sounds like you think Jobs and Gates should have went to college instead of creating Apple and Microsoft.

If people want to pay for or read an opinion from somebody on a message board why not?

How does going to college inform your opinion on sports?

He was also the The Boston Sports guy before ESPN so you got that wrong, since Simmons did do things the right way why did you use him as an example of how sports journalism has faltered?

So what if Simmons is bullshitting and giving his opinion if people like that and it generates money it's serving some purpose for people.

Simmons does a lot more than bullshitting on a podcast it's very telling that you define him as that.

2. omar23

omar23 Member

Jason Whitlock sucks. The "Fox News" of sports opinion. It's no surprise that he gets fired everywhere he goes. He seems to try to get a rise out of people with his idiotic takes. Glad ESPN got rid of this fool.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lol... Simmons self describes his opinions as bullshitting! He excels in his interviews, his ability to relate scenarios to pop culture (albeit his references are fixed and getting more dated), and his gambling addiction translates well to discussion.

And I did point out that he developed the Boston sports guy website well before espn and THAT, not his print journalism run at the globe, led to his stardom.

But it sounds like you’re not a fan of any formal schooling or training to succeed in life. Of course there are countless examples of people who made it without graduating high school or college... does that mean everybody should try and follow in those unique individuals footsteps?

The fear is more and more people attempting to become the next Simmons without any of the background print media training will lead to subpar products... just like those trying to make it on TV/radio without any sort of formal broadcasting training.

this is also not a phenomenon isolated to sports media. You’re more likely to see a NP than an MD for your medical care now, one that has a fraction of the formal training than somebody who completed medical school and residency.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Everyone knows Whitlock is a jackass and a gas bag but while he's busy injecting a bunch of dumb politics he makes some valid points. I like Katie Nolan, she's cute and seems knowledgeable on Highly Questionable which is where I've seen her however this white privilege, beauty privilege, and female privilege does exist within sports "journalism", no question. Is she a beneficiary? Probably, same with Erin Andrews and even Maria Taylor. The problem is that Whitlock doesn't point out there is a big difference between print journalism like newspaper and magazine writers and TV/social media personalities. The print side is more of a meritocracy because race, beauty, and gender matter much less than the quality of the writing. On the TV/social media side, appearance and personality matter much more than the quality of the reporting or hosting which is what gives rise to someone like Katie Nolan. Now he does seem to have some inside scoop on her ability to do live TV and her work habits which is something totally different and a fair critique if it's true.

I also agree with him talking about ESPN personalities highlighting social justice issues and then ignoring the different privileges that gave rise to Katie Nolan. It's easy for Jemele Hill or Dan Lebatard for example to call the President a white supremacist, lots people hate him, but bring up issues of privilege about a co-worker and then we're having a genuine discussion about it.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Some of these hosts also write for ESPN (magazine / online). But the gig is a TV host / panelist, not straight up journalism. While some overlap, it is a different set of skills.

* Should be have something meaningful to say
    * Should be articulate. (but not required, if other things weigh over it ex: Shaq).
    * Able to engage with other analysts on the show (chemistry).

There is probably is a decent pool of candidates who satisfy the general journalism and analysts criteria. But for the higher paying TV gigs, TV being a visual medium, physical attractiveness may set the person apart. They don't have to be a 10, but generally they are above average.

It goes both ways girls and guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#65 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with a lot of this but at the end of the day sports is entertainment and looking at pretty women is entertainment and I have no idea what social justice has to do the privilege of sports reporting.

What exactly should they be discussing, what is the impact on society by Nolan being employed?

You know what else privilege he ignored?

His own, how many jobs has he been afforded because of being a black ex athlete male journalist especially after all the times he has been let go?

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

To remove this beauty privilege, I suggest everyone wear face coverings while on air. Perhaps a white pillow case.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

That's a complete generalization. How did you conclude the bolded part?

If someone has an opinion about sports, is hired for that opinion, and remains hired for future opinions, then why does it matter if they went to college? You don't need a degree to have an opinion.

Also, your comparison to someone in the media who talks sports to someone practicing medicine is a bit strange. The NP may not receive as in-depth training as the MD, but both professions are still licensed to practice medicine. Last time I checked, you don't need a license to voice your opinion on if the Rockets will do well this year.

Overall, the traditional route of going to college and getting a job with your degree probably still remains the best way to find success, but if you can bypass certain things (all within legal means) and you're compensated for it...why wouldn't you go that route?

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah he never responded when I asked the same things.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had no idea who Clay Travis was. I swear I thought he was a country singer. Whitlock I knew of because of people mentioning him in GARM and seeing his pic here and there over the months/years. Sports ain't what it used to be. lol. :D

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Others saying Spike & Howard Eskin)

13. TimDuncanDonaut

That's it I'm going to lure Clay Aiken and Randy Travis to a science chamber, and blend them together for the next country music star.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

TIL Grimace used to have 4 arms.

#whatsinyourmcnugget

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When it becomes the “norm”... the public ends up suffering as the quality of analysis, articles, healthcare goes down. PTI remains one of the few well-produced, well-constructed, and endeared sports-talk shows in history, going on 20+ years now... nothing flashy, former columnists discussing sports opinions. I’d rather have the next generation of shows emulate this with similar quality, vs. hot-take “loud noises” banter.

The collective attention span certainly has decreased... people consume their sports info/analysis now via tweets vs. well written pieces.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I didn’t respond?

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not to that particular question.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Healthcare?

19. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I still don't know who Clay Travis is, but I got him confused with Clay Walker (Houston Texans official country music hack) in a thread recently.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Read one of the previous posts