1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Whitlock turning the flamethrower on Katie Nolan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 21, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just throwing stuff against the wall.

And you still have not answered the question of why somebody needs to go to school to give there sports opinion.

Nolan is not writing a column or a book.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They don't... but in all forms of society, typically those with better training end up delivering a better product. People do get lucky and take shortcuts... and there are more avenues than ever before to serve in a profession than there used to be... but it doesn't mean that there will be a sustainable increase in overall quality over the time.

Nolan isn't writing a book. She's also not a journalist, an analyst, a commentator, or an 'expert' on any one particular sport. She's a social media/TV personality that would not have existed in a previous era. I actually do find her entertaining, in small doses... but that's all it is, entertainment. Its not newsworthy, her opinions are really not ever taken seriously, and while she's involved in this made-up controversy, her reach/impact on the sports world is still a blip.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can going to college make having an opinion on sports a better product?

Diction?

I can't believe you are still trying to continue with this line of reasoning.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Centers of excellence for broadcasting, that have produced some of the most iconic TV/radio/print personalities throughout history (sports or otherwise)... has no impact whatsoever? On a similar note, there are a lot of people who have the ability to "teach" things well... but if they wanted to be a teacher, why should they go to school?

Specifically in sports media, getting a start as a producer with no experience, vs. one that's studied for it, makes no difference?

In her case, her career started on youtube with one-liners, emulated from SNL weekend update, and its now basically the premise of her show. While she's had tremendous success thus far... I would question what her ceiling truly is. Will she be closer to Robin Roberts and Hannah Storm in 20 years (two individuals who went to school specifically to end up doing what they ended up doing).

Or hell, Erin Andrews... who was a commuincations major.

Anybody can give an opinion, but to say that professional school has no bearing on future success/ability is extremely myopic.

It also belittles the accomplishments of those who have made it while paying their dues and perfecting their craft post education... including Bill Simmons.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Is ESPN that channel that talks about Lebron 24-7? Or do they show American Pickers?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it's the channel that takes 2 guys and has them scream at each other and puts some eye-candy lady in between them.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dam can he not get along with anybody?

I'm surprised he did not get more traction during the Trump years.

Looks like I missed this, thank god.:rolleyes:

The African American journalist interviewed former President Donald Trump at the White House for OutKick last fall. He has appeared frequently on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and “The Ingraham Angle.” He’s also guest-hosted Glenn Beck’s national radio/digital TV show for Blaze Media multiple times.