1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Whitlock turning the flamethrower on Katie Nolan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

King1 and Xerobull like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who actually rates Katie Nolan?

Thats whats hilarious this is who he has to pick a fight with to get relevance.

adoo and RustyHarden like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Money and success comes to those who are exceptional. Pretty girls who are articulate, good in front of the camera, and know sports( even at a cursory level) are exceptional. Fat dudes who may know about sports, have crappy personalities, that have no self awareness are not. He's a dime a dozen.

sealclubber1016, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only beef he may have is that networks are willing to pay more money for internet-sensations than they are for journalism majors.

The Bill Simmons-ification of sports media, in large part due to social media aspects and hell INTERNET MESSAGE BOARDS (such as this one) has certainly changed how the public consumes their sports.

They’re not flocking to the local paper. They’re not flocking to sports radio. They’re not flocking to the local news.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Let's not get carried away...
    [​IMG]

King1 and RustyHarden like this.
  6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bill Simmons-ification?

What the hell is that?

He had a thriving career before the internet he had a important writing career before the internet.

The Simmons hate is almost on Hardens level.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah her elbows are real pointy.

CometsWin, rockbox and TWS1986 like this.
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

He fills the Uncle Ruckus role

Reeko and jiggyfly like this.
  10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Jackie MacMullan was on his show last week and sort of scolded him about something similar. It was kinda awkward, especially since I think he just hired her for some work at the Ringer. Her complaint was that a lot of aspiring sports journalists want to skip the investigative reporting and relationship building aspects of the business and go straight into writing informal opinion pieces like Simmons did.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Would not seks doe....?

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

Rachel Bonetta is still goat with looks and sports knowledge.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Define thriving?

He was writing obits at the Boston Globe. He started approaching fame with the Boston sports guy website. He's now worth over $100 million.

Sure, at least he did get his 'start' as a journalism grad, but how many journalists-turned-TV stars now do you know that are worth that much?

Also, I like Bill Simmons... but I wouldn't say he's influenced more people to go get into a good journalism school, vs. make it big on the internet/podcast scene and become a name.

steddinotayto and TWS1986 like this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

She's definitely attractive. Not all time hot, but pretty attractive.

Sajan and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah.....you would.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STR8Thugg likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He wrote the book of basketball which was a best seller is what I meant thriving before he was on ESPN, he also had a news letter that was popular as well as the mailbag.

He is worth over 100 million dollars because he started 3 wildly succesful ventures in 30/30 and Grantland and The Ringer which he sold to spotify.

I have no idea why you are equating what he has done as a negative on journalism why is it his fault that many want to skip over the journalism school part?

Its criticizing Gates because he never finished college.

17. donkeypunch

Y u no see the ? doe.....

Sajan likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting but I don't see how that is Simmons fault he did the work and went to school and has said he could not find a job at an established paper so he started a news letter and wrote a book.

It's like saying Bill Gates and Steve Jobs cheated because they did not go to college.

I love Jackie M and I am sure it wa from a good place will listen to that pod but it kinda smells like jealousy.

I am a Donut likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So all of that happened (book of basketball) after he was a columnist for page 2 on ESPN, and that was after he started his Boston sports guy website that was bought by ESPN.

Before Grantland and the Ringer, there was page 2 and his column and his website that gave him those opportunities... and he's now best known for his podcast network which is the main medium that people consume sports-talk content now.

The reason why its seen as a negative is that others now want to bypass all the initial steps and become an internet/podcast and eventual TV star. In the end, Simmons is basically bullshitting on his podcasts and giving his opinions. Others have started podcasts that are largely just opinion based, but its becoming considered as the "media" when it really isn't.

Sounds like you don't think somebody should have to go through journalism training or broadcasting school training to deliver mainstream content now... basically just anybody with an opinion on a message board is deemed qualified?

And again, I'm not anti-Simmons... he did pay his dues and create the empire that exists today. But there are podcasters and contributors that had little to zero formal training getting opportunities that otherwise would not have existed.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So..no idea who Jason Whitlock and Katie Nolan were before this thread. As someone that has been subjected to the Houston media market....skipping the Chronicle and going straight to the internet is probably a plus. The internet has both real journalists and guys that are basically sports talk radio.

I don't understand the hate for Bill Simmons. I don't care for him personally, but overall I don't think the internet would have as many good writers if it wasn't for him. There have been quite a few articles written on the Ringer and Grantland that I enjoyed. If he created this hoard of fake jouranalists....it doesn't affect me much as it is easy to spot and avoid for me...except when I'm on this website.

jiggyfly likes this.