1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Sushi vs Fish and Chips

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 14, 2020.

?

How do you like your fish?

1. Sushi

45 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. Fish and chips

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Fish are friends. Not food.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Fish is icky.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I should also take a moment to say that in addition to how drunk, it also matters a lot where I am.

High quality place? Sushi.

Questionable quality place? Fish and chips.

Also, shout out to Iceland. BEST fish and chips I have ever had. Best seafood damn near. Can't find a bad fish dish in that country.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They say cleaning a shark with 45 mins, the meat is good to go and doesnt allow the natural ammonia secretion. After that 45 min mark it is very hard to cook/eat.

Ive had a lot of fermented stuff and Ive had shark cooked after its secreted a lot of ammonia before. I would pass on fermented shark with high ammonia levels.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Htown ain't with all that monocultural **** !

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

I like both. Started trying sushi in college, stuck with it. Fried fish, think i've had always had them. Don't eat both too often, but I enjoy them when I have them.

Think i saw in one of those travel videos; Sushi in Japan is one of the cheapest street food. In the U.S. it can be a bit overpriced.

#26 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. SemisolidSnake

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm always telling people from all over the country that Houston is the most diverse city in the country. Except that I use the term "functionally diverse." And what I mean by that is that we're all just in it together down here, and we just coexist. I can go 5-10 minutes in any direction and find any type of food and any type of culture. NYCers don't like to hear that, because they think NYC is tops in everything. Psssh, NYC diversity as with almost everything NYC is mostly show with little substance. Like most NYCers.

Anyway, to answer the question: probably sushi. I would be glad to have some recommendations for some really good fish and chips in the Houston area. There isn't much good food I don't like.

I'll also be that guy that points out that sushi is named for the rice and there are many types of sushi that do not involve fish. That said, I do enjoy a good nigiri plate. Just the featured ingredient (often fish) on top of a ball of rice. None of the gaudy rolls many places put out to appeal to Western eyes. Still, I don't eat sushi much. I prefer other Japanese dishes.

Now I want sushi and fish and chips.

Deckard, Xerobull and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I chose fish and chips... but good fish and chips is much harder to find than good sushi.

When I do find a spot with the right breading and bomb malt vinegar I’m in heaven.

Deckard, jiggyfly and No Worries like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So they eat sharks that are 300 years old, but they hang 'em out on a clothesline to ferment and smell like ammonia first? Actually, I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmern ate this. It probably ranks up there with lutefisk. I'd still eat either one of those before even thinking about attempting something like balut, though.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a nature special about how the Inuit Greenland shark. They hang it in the sea for awhile to leach out the ammonia. Unfortunately the lose a lot to other sharks that might eat the carcass.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had some fried fish last night but didn't feel like shelling out the money for good fish and chips so instead got some fried catfish. Got it from one of the fish and chicken places along Lake Street that had been damaged during the riots and they still were boarded up. Glad to see them back in business.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The far north Euro countries have some nasty fish dishes.

I was raised on Hernekeitto (Finnish Split Pea Soup) though. Delicious.

13. Buck Turgidson

14. Buck Turgidson

I call bullsh@t, but I hope I'm wrong.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Fish and chips is satisfying but it’s still just a deep fried food and any deep fried food has a glass ceiling with regards to how “great” it can be. Sushi, on the other hand, can be a work of culinary and aesthetic art. No one has ever gone to a Michelin starred fish and chips joint. Sushi easily wins this round.

thegary likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Where's the fried and beer battered sashimi option? Sounds very Texanese...

NGL, my guilty pleasure has been LJS trashy combo plates.

I thought everyone on Clutchfans was Asian?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Michelins on my car, fried fish in my belly. Suckaz.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My grandfather was pure Finnish and my grandmother would make it weekly. I lived with them until I was 6.

Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Depends on the occasion:
    Sushi while in a restaurant, Fish&Chips when travelling and just having a quick meal.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What am I missing? Looks basically like "regular" split pea soup with different aromatics.