1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Key to season: Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

CXbby,

Integrating Ty Lawson is not a given. We are looking for a significant change in our offense to help Harden. That's never a given.

Spurs Analogy

Let me mention the Spurs for second, and hopefully don't turn this into a Spurs thread. But they are in a similar situation. They need to integrate LMA. That's not a given, either.

Sure, Pops can design a system to maximize LMA and team wins, but can the role players adjust to a new system. The role players were picked and positioned for a motion offense. LMA is a great PF, but he's on the black-hole side of PFs vs Duncan. LMA needs the ball and is not the passer Duncan is.

Like I say, I have no doubt Pops can maximize LMA for the team, but since he's no Duncan in a motion offense, can they still run one. Certainly, motion is not a requirement of winning, but it is a requirement of maximizing the role players on the Spurs as currently designed.

If the Spurs don't rack up wins as predicted, I can already here people say, "LMA is great and having an awesome season under Pops, but he's a detriment to team ball." No he isn't, those comments just mean the roles players can't adjust to a new star...thus, integrating LMA is more difficult than maybe we think.

Why Ty is the Key

Same with Ty. Can we integrate Ty flawlessly? You say it is a given. If it is, then credit needs to be given to both McHale and Harden to make it happen with the other role players.

Saying the key is for DMo or Jones to take the next step versus just stay healthy is overstated. We primarily need to integrate Ty Lawson and allow him to apply pressure to defenses with his speed.

#21 heypartner, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

late on rotations, sucks int he playoffs, and no post game. he's a good backup pf, but players like him are dime a dozen. motie is a big if this season. he's the one with size, a post game, and when he tries can play good defense. having a twin tower lineup that works is a huge advantage

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Injuries can have an affect on a lot of things. Plus nobody could stop Blake or LMA because they're Superstars. Before those injuries Terrence was playing solid defense. Especially help defense.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Jones is pretty unimportant.

There is about 15 things more important than Jones.

This false narrative about Terrence Jones is pretty typical of the fan base who, for whatever reason, likes to create a controversy every season about nothing.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=160031
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=158628
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=163199
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=196403
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=197998
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218063

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

There's a difference between no one can stop Blake or LMA and no one can stop Blake or LMA EVERY TIME THEY GET A BALL. And that's what been happening last 2 playoffs with Jones, he was getting abused EVERY SINGLE TIME LMA or Blake would get the ball. And it's not just those 2, H. Barnes was doing impressive stuff at the 4 when Jones had to guard him. Can't forget that sick rebound he got while jumping over Terrence's head.

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Ideally I think we want Jones to start or at least take a leap in the playoffs. DMo while he's a solid defender when he isn't forced to run around too much is too slow. I remember Atlanta carved our defense when him and Dwight started that game. DMo was just too slow rotating around because he's not as athletic.

Jones upside on defense is significantly higher and he did play pretty good defense in the regular season (before getting abused by Blake).

If Jones can manage to improve his shooting, he is the perfect fit next to Dwight and this starting lineup. His alley oop potential with more Lawson penetration and his amazing finishing ability around the rim is exactly what that lineup needs.

DMo on the bench is perfect also because he won't have to deal with as many situations where his lack of athleticism can be abused. He got abused badly in PnR situations vs athletic bigs. And we will have a consistent scoring option when for that unit to help limit any droughts on offense.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's never been even a passable defender, it wasn't injury related. He gets blocks sometimes, but that's about the best anyone could say about him defensively. He's constantly out of position and any decent PF just destroys him.

If anyone wants to make a case for Jones starting he'll have to finally learn how to play proper defense and he'll have to learn how to shoot the 3. Till then, there's absolutely no valid case for him starting. Honestly I could see Harrell being a better option by the trade deadline, if you are going to have someone who can't shoot, at least make them a good rebounder.

8. treeman

treeman Member

This.

Oh, and the key to the season is Dwight Howard staying healthy, I think. That, or Harden playing at MVP level again.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why does anyone have to make a case lol. Coach Mchale have went with Jones at the starting PF spot 3 years in a row. So anyone of us making a case is irrelevant. He's the coach and he's know more than you and me put together.

Harrell is not getting any minutes unless there is an injury. They will send him to the D league after the last preseason game.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, sure you don't have to make a case, but if you don't then most likely people will just reject your opinion out of hand since it's not supported.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bobbythegreat we have no voice in the decision on who starts. And man come on, rejected because I'm telling you the truth. Really man, you take sports forum's too serious brother.

All we can hope for Jones to stay healthy and improve on the things he needed to work on.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if jones gets traded im ok with the backup pf splitting between ariza, capella, harrel and dekker. whichever combo/player works best. u dont need every backup to be perfect. its not like they're gonna stop the blake griffins, just need to make them work.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just said that if you propose something here, or anywhere, without supporting your theory, people will probably dismiss it out of hand. It would be like if someone just randomly said that KJ McDaniels should be the starter at SF and didn't support that opinion with anything valid....would you be likely to go along with that?

I absolutely hope Jones stays healthy and raises his trade value, it will go a long way towards helping the team if he can do that.

14. Chamillionaire

TJ has been hitting the weights hard the past 2 seasons. He's gotten substantially bigger since he's gotten here. How his strength will translate onto the court? That's anyone's guess, but he looks like Dwight... not quite but...

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What lol Jones be starting for how long now bro? That's the support right there.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think strength has ever been his problem, it's more the mental side of the game. Knowing where to be on the court, knowing how to make proper rotations and when to rotate, having proper footwork, that sort of thing.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And why you keep talking about trade value. Let it rest man, you've been singing that same song for two years.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He only started last year due to DMo's injury and couldn't even hold that job down over Smith in the playoffs. There's no reason to think that Jones would start over a healthy DMo because DMo just brings way too much more to the table for the starters......unless, like I said earlier, Jones learns how to shoot the 3 and learns how to play at least passable defense. If he can do those things, he has a small chance of holding on to the starter job.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No sir, wrong that's not the reason why he started. Now since you're talking about support. Do you have any evidence of Mchale saying Dmo was the starter?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how much '99ers like Batman Jones and I try to promote a non agenda discussion about our PFs in an up to date manner

Bobbythegreat will destroy the thread by making it about his agenda

Like clockwork

It's so cute how he does this. So fresh