1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yeah, so the team came out and said that?

Say this for me, "I'm we ta ted"!

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

AdamWexlerCSN ‏@awexler 9m
    Among the most important #Texans info you'll see today: Houston now has an AJ, CJ, DJ, JJ & TJ (Bouye, Fiedorowicz, Swearinger, Watt, Yates)

3. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Killer J's?

4. Remii

Remii Member

I posted two football related post and you posted two insulting none-football related responses...

And you shouldn't use that word like that. Because in your attempt to insult me you are offending other people who may read this site who have special needs children or know special needs people... Like Coach O'Brien.

Keep up the great work tmacfor35 :)

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was what the Texans HAD to do with the draft given the losses in FA and the new regime. We potentially got the draft's best DE, OG, NT, and FB in this draft.

If these four guys go on to become starters and contributors this year and any of the late round picks hit (especially Savage), this will supplant the 2006 draft (Mario, DeMeco, Winston, Daniels, Anderson) as the franchise's best ever.

6. tmacfor35

No means to offend anyone but yourself. You post utter crap constantly.

1 person likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mario and Ryans were very good players. Not saying these new guys can't be that, but they will have to play pretty well to beat 2006.

8. tmacfor35

Pagan might make it as a starter as well.

You said DE so I assumed you meant Clowney. The Texans were high on Pagan.

9. basketballholic

I am very satisified with the draft. I think we will be just fine at all positions including QB, except for possible RT and the defensive backfield. I think this team will be in the playoff hunt for much of the season and I think the odds are favorable for us to reach the playoffs...as long as nothing major explodes with Andre Johnson.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm happy with draft, but don't expect playoffs.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt, but that should be what we're all hoping for with this draft. It just speaks to how the team was managed over the past couple of years that we only had one playoff appearance with that core group (2011) before they traded DeMeco, cut Winston, and let Mario walk in FA.

No, you're right. Pagan would be the 5th starter. If he and Savage can become starters/contributors what is a very good draft on the surface becomes a great draft when you go back to grade it 3 years from now.

Excited about this group, and you have to supplement them with the guys we picked last year who never made it onto the field: Brennan Williams, Trevardo Williams, David Quessenberry, and Alan Bonner. :cool:

12. MystikArkitect

Solid A. I'm assuming anyone giving out B's is due to the fact we didn't address the QB position. We've seen teams crippled before (Minny, Jax, Cleveland, Tennessee, Buffalo, New York, Arizon) by hitching their wagons to QBs they reached for. I'm cool with rebuilding the team with a nasty trench-game and having a Wilson type of manager at QB. Keenum and Fitz are capable of filling in this role this year. We are stacked everywhere with our only gaping holes still at WR3/Slot, Nickel CB, and RB2.

Not sure how much more people could've wanted out of this draft.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Stacked? Strong side OLB, DE, RT, OG, CB, and safeties are all thin positions.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

FWIW Mel Kiper gave us an A-

Higher than what I gave, a solid B.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Like what you posted, but I don't think we have a hole at RB2, and I'm hopeful a slot WR will emerge.

A bit worried about oline and CB depth. Otherwise, I think we are solid. Not worried about the dline.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah with a weak division and a last place schedule the odds are pretty good, but we'd need some luck when it comes to staying healthy and we'd need some of our rookies to pan out. I think if the talk about Nix's knees was overblown and he can be the planetoid NT in the middle for us, we'll have a chance to win 8-10 games.....but I see that as the best possible outcome.

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

A solid draft.
    A bit mystified by the tight end at #3 with other keys needs being more desperate, but made up for it with Nix at #83.
    There was no way we were going to fill every need with quality picks as we had mathematically too many, so this has to be a solid A grade.
    We got:-
    Best OLB - Clowney
    Best OG - Su'a Filo
    Top 3 TE - Fiedorowicz (Bonus points for the N.E. Ninja psyche)
    Best NT - Nix!!!
    Best FB - Prosch
    With that many #1 prospects I don't see how you can grade this draft anything less than an A.
    Pagan was an interesting pick - boom or bust because of his attitude problem - hopefully he likes this team and coaches - if so, we have a gem here.
    They obviously did their homework on this draft.
    We made significant upgrades on both sides of the ball so if this was a "re-build", then they undoubtedly also gave themselves a chance to win games.
    It will take time for most of these guys to get up to NFL speed being rookies, but the effort of youth and desire to impress should make up for some of that.
    Hopefully, they can keep the "rookie mistakes" to a minimum and be playing good football by midseason.
    I realize we have a lot of rookie replacements that will take time to learn their trade but I also realize that we got rid of some deadwood including some stale leadership.
    Add to that a new fresh believing attitude and I have to believe that Texans will be better next season.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Call me overly optimistic, but am I the only one that sees an A+ future for this draft (best in franchise history)?

OLB - all pro
    LG - starter
    TE - starter: the Texans will be playing a lot of dual TE sets, so he is basically a starter along with GG.
    NT - starter
    QB - Joe Flacco potential (not too shabs).
    DE - eventual starter
    RB - rotational back
    FB - starter
    CB - nickel corner. Hal has exceptional technique.

I just have a really good feeling about it.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Don't get your panties in a knot just because your QB got passed up. I wanted Bridgewater and they didn't take him, but at least they didn't compound the mistake by drafting Carr at the top of round 2. To me that was the sign of sea change. When pick 33 came and S'ua-Filo was taken, that was when we knew that a new brand of football was going to be coming to Houston.

Grading drafts is dumb. For better or worse, I expect the classes of 2012 and 2013 (Mercilus, Hopkins, Swearinger, Posey, Brooks, Trevardo, Crick, Quesenberry, Bonner, Griffin) to have more of an impact on this team than the 2014 one. No matter what, guys like Clowney, Nix, Pagan etc will still be rookies. In a sense, this draft is building towards what we will become in 2015. That's a good thing though. That means we still get one more year of sub-.500 football to find that franchise QB that will put us over top in the end.

The goal is not to have a Fool's Gold type bounce-back year the way Kansas City did this year. The goal is to slingshot our way from worst to first. So I'm ecstatic that we passed up on Manziel and Bortles. This ain't a novelty act over here. We're trying to win a championship.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First off, the title of thread suggests that this is supposed to be where we grade the draft.

Second, at some point I was expecting a debate over the points I made. Didn't see that anywhere in your post. Here's a second chance.

Last, I didn't criticize the team for not drafting Carr (didn't want him at all, to be honest). And once they didn't move up one spot to draft Bridgewater, I was past that. They didn't like him (or Manziel, and Bortles was long gone). Oh well.

That said, they can't be given a free pass from criticism for nt addressing the QB situation.

And btw, no one should at all be surprised about the Tom Savage selection. They had been dropping Savage hints for weeks. They obviously were focused on him. And for all I or anyone else knows... he may become a good NFL QB. But its hard to see that based on his college career. We'll see over this season and next.

But I also questioned the decisions to not address ILB, OT, defensive backfield, and other needs. Needs IMO warranted addressing in the draft before OG and TE. Again, we will have to see how everything shakes out. But I feel my B+ grade is reasonable.