1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alfred Blue-Texans 6th Round Pick (#181)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you like the pick?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. Yes

79.5%
  2. No

20.5%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

With the 181st pick in the NFL Draft, (6th round) the Houston Texans select Alfred Blue, running back out of LSU.

Here is an article:
    http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/alfred_blue_2014_nfl_draft.html

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hope he can tackle because he will only make the team as a special teams player

these polls need a never saw him play option

3. justtxyank

He can make the team as a 3rd running back.

4. Dubious

As could any street FA or late cut veteran, but they will keep the one that can play ST

5. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Ugh, why did we choose him over Seastrunk.... Think we made a mistake.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thumb? is that you?

7. Dubious

As I read about him it seems like he might be the FB when we need one, the red zone hole puncher
    *edit*
    oops

[​IMG]

#7 Dubious, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I really like the prospect of blue. Doesn't have a lot of wear and tear from heavy use. Very strong YPC. Yeah, he's had the ACL tear, but that's not as concerning as it used to be.

Silky smooth runner with good speed. I could see him being a solid RB.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Because he doesn't fumble and has size.

1 person likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Not very agile at all which hopefully means he doesn't dance in the NFL. Straight ahead burst.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wasn't he a backup in college. Seems raw. Why him, so other more accomplished backs on the board.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just because he didn't play doesn't mean he isn't good. I like the pick. No reason not to gamble at that slot. LSU has had backup RB's play well in the NFL in the past. They're also fresher coming in. SEC backs are getting 1-3 years taken off their careers coming out these days.

13. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

FWIW, he was actually the starter at LSU, until he had his knee injury.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

If there were no more RBs who have accomplished a lot left in the draft, I would get this. The dude got injured and his backup did much more than he ever did. Not saying he is horrible but Seastrunk and Storm have accomplished more. Not to mention he is not a change of pace back.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Ya it's headscratching given O'Brien's earlier comments about needing three backs the way NE has it set up. There's your three down back (Stevan Ridley:Arian), your smashmouth back (Blount:?Prosch?), and your scat back who runs screens and catches passes (Vereen:?Johnson vs Graham?). That leaves Andre Brown and now Blue who are both in the Foster mold.

It really makes you feel like the coaching staff is doing everything they can to make sure Foster doesn't get comfortable in his role, that he knows that there will be people breathing down his neck all year. And maybe by the next offseason his contract will preclude any kind of performance from saving his skin. He's almost assuredly gonna be a cap casualty by then I think.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Seastruck is gonna be a bust. I liked Storm Johnson.

If Blue doesn't get hurt he's a 3rd round pick. He's got a lot to prove and I think he's determined.

Great 6th round pick!

17. Aruba77

Because Seastruck literally can't catch and is going to be a huge bust.

18. showa13

showa13 Member

As a huge LSU fan I'm excited for the pick of MY BOY BLUE!!! Ha but seriously he runs very smooth, not as smooth as Foster though. He's big, but more of a finess back than a power back. Doesn't have the best cutting ability and isn't the quickest, but in open space he has the speed to break away from defenders. As mentioned he has elite ball security, only fumbling once, and IMO has more upside that Seastrunk. His knee injury hurt, without it he would've started over Jeremy Hill(who is better and someone I had hoped would be available to the Texans later) but got washed into the glutton of LSU RB's(at any other school, he would've been the feature back). He'll be a good backup to Foster and Brown.

19. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Andre Brown is your bruiser back at 6' 0" 227lbs. I do wish we had held on to Cierre Wood as he would have gotten a lot of carries last year and I liked his ability. Blue is not Tate, but could he be like Dominick Davis? not sure. He is a decent insurances policy in case Arian totally flames out (injury, can't break a tackle, etc) and gets cut next year. "You're my boy Blue!"

20. Aruba77

Any undrafted free agent who gets a shot in the nfl and blows it by smoking herbs is a fool and worse. Not someone worth holding onto. Wood has talent but so do 100 other rbs.