1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congressman accused Democrats as Anti-Christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Democrats Called Anti-Christian
    http://cbs4boston.com/news/topstories_story_172102343.html/resources_storyPrintableView
    * Later Withdrew His Remarks

Jun 21, 2005 10:00 am US/Eastern

A Republican congressman from Indiana created an uproar in the House on Monday by accusing the Democrats of being anti-Christian.

"Like a moth to a flame, Democrats can't help themselves when it comes to denigrating and demonizing Christians," said Rep. John Hostettler.

Hostettler made the remark during debate over a proposal introduced by Democrats that would have put the House on record as opposing "coercive and abusive religious proselytizing" at the Air Force Academy.

According to the Washington Post, Hostettler claimed that "the long war on Christianity in America continues today on the floor of the House of Representatives" and "continues unabated with aid and comfort to those who would eradicate any vestige of our Christian heritage being supplied by the usual suspects, the Democrats."

The congressman's remarks infuriated Democrats, who demanded that Hostettler withdraw his statement. The imbroglio broke out while the House conducted an otherwise routine debate on a $409 billion spending bill to fund the Pentagon budget and provide an additional $45 billion for the war in Iraq.

The dispute brought House business to a halt for about 45 minutes, when Hostettler agreed to retract his remarks. The Democratic proposal on the Air Force Academy was defeated.

The House instead approved by voice vote a Republican plan requiring an Air Force report to Congress on the steps it was taking to promote religious tolerance.

At issue was how Congress should respond to allegations of proselytizing and favoritism for Christians at the Air Force Academy.

The Air Force is investigating numerous allegations of inappropriate actions by academy officials, including a professor who required cadets to pray before taking his test and a Protestant chaplain who warned anyone "not born again would burn in the fires of hell."

Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., a co-sponor of the Democratic proposal, said a senior chaplain at the academy was transferred to Japan after criticizing what she saw as proselytizing.

Republicans said they did not want to jump to conclusions before the investigation was complete.

"We don't prejudge that there is abusive proselytizing," said Duncan Hunter, R-Calif.

"If you tell Christians they can't tell others about their faith, then they can't exercise their Christian religion," Hostettler said later. He said proselytizing involves a forced conversion to Christianity, something that did not occur at the academy.

Obey said Hostettler's "outburst ... is perhaps the perfect example of why we need to pass the language in my amendment."

Hostettler, a Christian and social conservative, made headlines last year when he was caught carrying a loaded handgun in a carry-on bag in the Louisville, Ky., airport. He pleaded guilty to carrying a concealed weapon and received a 60-day sentence, which he will not have to serve unless he has other criminal troubles before August 2006.

© 2005 CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Even if he withdrew his remarks, he probably won some points for saying it. It's still random, given the many other hotbed issues lying in wait for Congress, that his outburst would occur at a spending bill for the military.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Poor Christians. It must suck being such a minority in the US.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how far can i distance myself and those i know who are followers of Christ for this??? i'd like to try.

the equation between the flag and the Cross is so troublesome to me.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

As it should be....to all of us.

I saw a great bumpersticker in my neighborhood yesterday....

It was red white and blue, and it said...

"God is not a Republican.....or a Democrat!"

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I have a "Boondocks" cartoon in my office that is really good.

First pane is a kid reading his email and he has one from "SonofMan@YeshuabenYosef.com" to "Mass Recipients" with a subject of "Please help!" The kid says "Sheesh, how do these people get my e-mail address?"

Second pane is the body of the email which reads "To whom it may concern: I have been hijacked by crazed right-wingers. Please assist. This is not spam. God Bless. Jesus"

Priceless.

6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Waitng for a reply from the right. tick tick tick tick...come on boys waiting for you guys to explain this BS.

7. MadMax

i'm guessing most here would characterize me as "on the right." my response is above.

but my concern for this is less for the nation or a particular party..less about politics and more about the implications for the Church.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Not me, I see you as very centrist and balanced, a couple of issues aside.

9. MadMax

nah, i'm a freak! :D

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Good thing he is not from my district. :eek:

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I was just gonna ask you about that.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

just because rep. hostettler had a few good years in the NFL doesn't give him the right to talk that much smack

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you are right, what do we call T_J and BigTex? There isn't a scale that far to the right. :D

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Jesus was a liberal...(not a democrat)

There are 10 times as many references in the bible about protecting against the rich to help poor people than protecting against homosexuality.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Jesus wouldn't have condoned homosexuality anymore then he would have prostitution. Jesus would have sat down, had dinner with them, shared his message and told them to simply sin no more. Jesus brought a message of peace and salvation which was/is more easily accepted by the poor, then the rich.

16. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay this doesn't directly apply, but this seems like a good place to share. And this is in no way meant as a gratuitous slam against Christians.

Anyway, Last night I was listening to some preacher on shortwave radio (there are many, kind of kooky, religous shows on shortwave) and he was talking about the age of the earth (about 14,000 years old if I remember correctly). He explained that all species that have ever existed on earth were present at its creation. Pretty standard stuff, that I'm sure we've all heard before.

Then he started talking about dinosaurs and Noah's ark....

He said that, in fact, Noah's ark did carry two of every species that has ever existed on earth. Then to explain how the ark could have been big enough to carry two of all the huge dinosaurs, he said..... wait..... here it comes....
    that Noah probably brought BABY dinosaurs on board.

I never would have thought of that one. Baby dinosaurs. Whew.

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Unless you're a Pantheist, then he's both.

(that's Pantheist, not Panteist)

18. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Well the way species are going extinct today, if there ever has to be another ark it can be downsized.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Did the salty flood water kill fresh water fish, or did Noah have fish tanks?

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Shortwave radio has a market in US? I know people in Far East or some parts of Europe had to resort to shortwave programs not available from local stations, such as Voice Of America, for whatever reasons (mostly political).

#20 wnes, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2005