1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congressman accused Democrats as Anti-Christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I guess we needed more evidence that Karl Rove is the most despicable man on the American political scene today.

I remember talking last year to a guy who'd been on shows a few times with Rove. And he told me how when you talk to the guy, there's nothing in his eyes, no soul. Just a machine, an animal.

Read this piece in today's Times, absorb it, give yourself 90 seconds for outrage, then rededicate yourself to wresting a great country from his hands.

Two examples: "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers ... Has there ever been a more revealing moment this year? Let me just put this in fairly simple terms: Al Jazeera now broadcasts the words of Senator Durbin to the Mideast, certainly putting our troops in greater danger. No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals."

Don't forget that these statements are meant to outrage you. You're a targeted audience They're meant to perpetuate a state of maximal polarization in this country -- the state of affairs most suited for vampires like Mr. Rove to suck the nation dry.

-- Josh Marshall

2. mc mark

more from Josh...

Rove should apologize or resign.

And that's only the start. For Rove, the war on terror, Iraq and Afghanistan have always been nothing more than tools of domestic politics. He speaks for the president and the president speaks for him. So all of that applies to the president too unless and until we hear from him.

The A-list press folks, especially on TV, are too well trained to call Rove out of bounds. So Dems will have to do it all themselves.

The president and his partner are more concerned with going to war with half the country than they are with war against the country's enemies abroad. Until the president thinks differently on that key point there's simply no point in dealing with him on anything.

-- Josh Marshall

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Krosfyah, and all, from my fuzzy memory,

In 1979 I converted to Christianity. In 1980 the Reagan revolution began and the Moral Majority was born. This was the beginning of a quote Conservative movement...

I remember going to a local precinct as a 'new' Christian and listening to the debate. The issue back then was get Christian morals and values into the Republican Party Platform. The profile issues were abortion and education-(school prayer, student bible clubs and Christian home education- issues like homosexuals and aids came later). The battle was being promoted and galvanized by growing high profile Christian ministries led by Farwell, Dobson, James Kennedy, Pat Robertson, etc, etc.

The target party was the Republican party. Conservatism was seen as the mantra of the party and the Democrats were characterized as liberal. To many Christian Conservatism meant true to the Bible, liberal conotated water down the Christian message.

By galvanizing around 2-3 issues a broader view of Christ and a biblical response to our world was lost and as a result the religious right was born. Litmus testing of Christianity was now politicized. You are either a Born Again Christian Right Conservative or you were a liberal watered down Christian. Neither were what Jesus had in mind.

The fullness and scope of the entire teachings of Christ were left somewhere shipwrecked on the agendas of well meaning crusaders who were focused on 'key' issues.

These large ministries further galvanized the issues by focusing their constituency towards the Republican party and the limited agendas of the Party Platform. With that kind of focus positions became hard line and many other equally Christian morals and values were neglected. The war became a war of Party Platforms.

All during the 80's the fall out was divisive. Many loving and well meaning Christians followed the issues that were Platform issues at the expense of losing the more important truths of Christ's entire message for a hurting nation.

Those galvanizing issues of abortion and prayer were very important, but they consumed an entire element of Christianity that politicized their faith and fought a battle that pitted the so called conservative Christian against the so called liberal left. Communication breakdown among Christians, division, hard lines, narrow agendas, pride, insensitivity and alienation.

What is sad is Platforms are always abondoned after the election.

So what happened? The Religious Right became the hypocritical Christian fringe who showed no compassion and love. The Social Democratic Christians became the hypocrites bent on destroying the moral authority of the Bible and the Christian heritage of America.

At least in each other's minds.

And it was all made political. (I am beginning to dislike politics)

There are lots of real Christians lost in all this.

I have two suggestions.

1. Take all the politicians who claim to be Christian; the Republicans, Democrats, the whites, blacks, hispanics, asians etc; the Conservatives, the Liberals - the whole lot of them (that claim Jesus Christ) and lock them all up in the Congress for forty days with just a Bible and knees to pray on.
    Lock them up, give them bread and water three times a day and ask them to pray together and read the Bible together. Forty days.

If there is a God, they will come out of those forty days with some Christian heart and answers for the problems of this nation.

My second suggestion is this..
    2. Every Christian attending a church on Sunday take $1.00 a day, that is $30 a month if you can afford it, you know cut out junk food and candy, but those who can afford $30 a month take that money and get together in your city (all of you together, no barriers) and go down to the low income areas of town. Find some youngster under the age of 25 and invest your life. Make sure they have their own Bible, clothes, food, and some positive role models. Read the words of Jesus to them. Say prayers with them. Help them get a good education and show them that Jesus loves them. Take the money we waste each month and help a kid read the Bible, meet Jesus, get an education, and have a better life.

#83 rhester, Jun 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  4. rhester

I just want to add-

1. I am so sick of politics
    2. I love Jesus Christ.
    3. I don't want Him to be misrepresented.

5. mc mark

Reid Calls on Bush to Repudiate Rove's Remarks
    Thursday, June 23, 2005

Democratic Leader Harry Reid released the following statement:

“I am deeply disturbed and disappointed that the Bush White House would continue to use the national tragedy of September 11th to try and divide the country. The lesson our country learned on that terrible morning is that we are strongest when we unite together, that America’s power is in its common spirit of democracy and freedom.

“Karl Rove should immediately and fully apologize for his remarks or he should resign. The lesson of September 11th is not different for conservatives, liberals or moderates. It is equally shared and was repeatedly demonstrated in the weeks and months following this tragedy as Americans of all backgrounds and their elected representatives rallied behind the victims and their families, united in our common determination to bring to justice those responsible for these terrible attacks.

“It is time to stop using September 11th as a political wedge issue. Dividing our country for political gain is an insult to all Americans and to the common memory we all carry with us from that day. When it comes to standing up to terrorists, there are no Republicans or Democrats, only Americans. The Administration should be focused on uniting Americans behind our troops and providing them a strategy for success in the war on terror and the conflict in Iraq. I hope the president will join me in repudiating these remarks and urge Mr. Rove to take appropriate action to right this terrible wrong.”

http://reid.senate.gov/record2.cfm?id=239436

6. rhester

Someone remind me what is the connection with 9-11 and Iraq?

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Um, oh yeah, there isn't one. Minor detail.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Oooh, a good thread for the bushfish..

[​IMG]

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

makes me cringe everytime i see it

10. rhester

Tears....

11. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

"Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers"

How anyone can take anything this administration says as resonable or the truth is beyond me

they twist, spin, and ignore

Al Franken had a chapter in his book called "operation ignore" and it fits so well with how this administration acts

Karl Rove, did you just happen to forget what happened on Sept 14, 2001? a mere 3 days after?

Congress authorized the President to protect the United States in self-defense against those who attacked us

the resolution passed 98-0 and 420-1

12. mc mark

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 7:15

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Interesting comments rhester. I saw the movie "Bush's Brain" and it spoke of a meeting with several political strategiest for how to get Bush Sr. elected president. Karl Rove was in attendance of that meeting. Rove interupted the meeting to discuss Bush Jr. Everybody was stunned wondering why he would bring up Jr. as he was irrelevant at the time. Karl Rove clearly saw the Moral Majority movement and decided he'd better find a candidate that can get aligned with the religious folks. Pure genius...evil genius...but genius.

14. rhester

I need to compose myself, I feel like throwing stones at the politicians professing Christianity. I must stop and think.

I must admit the more I think of these subjects the more I hurt inside.

I need to pray.

I wish I could reflect more of Jesus Christ to this world. I fall so short.

I am so saddened by our government.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent post.

It is sad what is being done supposedly in the guise of Christianity by politicians.

16. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

Al-Jazeera broadcasts Durbin's words...
    http://abuaardvark.typepad.com/abuaardvark/2005/06/aljazeera_broad.html

Karl Rove says:

"Has there ever been a more revealing moment this year? Let me just put this in fairly simple terms: Al Jazeera now broadcasts the words of Senator Durbin to the Mideast, certainly putting our troops in greater danger. No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals."

An aide to Bill Frist says:

"Well, when you say something that appears all over Al Jazeera, you have a lot of work to do."

Leaving aside everything else which could and should be said, let me just point out that Senator Durbin's remarks do not currently appear anywhere on the main page or news page of al-Jazeera's Arabic language site. Its search engine produces only one hit for "Durbin" in 2005: a story from June 16 about his remarks and his refusal to apologize.

I haven't been paying enough attention to the broadcasts, or watching regularly enough, to know whether or not the story has been reported more heavily than this on the air (though I haven't heard anything about it this morning since I started paying attention). But I can say with some degree of confidence that Condi Rice's remarks in Egypt about reform has received far more attention on al-Jazeera than has Durbin's remarks about Guantanamo.

Just for the record.

17. Major

Major Member

Democratic Leader Harry Reid released the following statement:

“I am deeply disturbed and disappointed that the Bush White House would continue to use the national tragedy of September 11th to try and divide the country. The lesson our country learned on that terrible morning is that we are strongest when we unite together, that America’s power is in its common spirit of democracy and freedom.

“Karl Rove should immediately and fully apologize for his remarks or he should resign. The lesson of September 11th is not different for conservatives, liberals or moderates. It is equally shared and was repeatedly demonstrated in the weeks and months following this tragedy as Americans of all backgrounds and their elected representatives rallied behind the victims and their families, united in our common determination to bring to justice those responsible for these terrible attacks.

This is the Democratic Party's problem in a nutshell. Instead of saying Rove should apologize (what is that really going to do?), the Democrats should use his words against him - keep pushing to portray the party leadership as a bunch of nutjobs. This kind of junk turns people off - get it into the mainstream so people can see how ludicrous Republicans are acting, and quit being wusses and asking for apologies.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

anyone see Family Guy this past Sunday?

Our buddy Karl Rove was portrayed on it....as a Sith Lord looking evil figure that eventually transformed into a bunch of bats at the end... :D

rhester,

you seem to be a good man and a good Christian...
    you do all you can...no one can ask any more from you.

American politics is something that would task even Christ's legendary patience. :(

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't worry, I'm sure Cheney & Rumsfeld will have him detained in Gitmo before long. After all, he's from the Middle East and doesn't have a passport.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Old news for some.

'Religious left' launched in US
    A group of progressive Christians in the US have launched a new political movement to counter what they describe as the power of the religious right.

The Christian Alliance for Progress aims to "reclaim Christianity" and influence the political agenda.

"We can no longer stand by and watch people speak hatred, division, war and greed in the name of our faith," said Patrick Mrotek, the Alliance's founder.

The body joins other liberal religious groups formed around the 2004 election.

Key issues

Polls suggest that those who voted for President George W Bush on account of his values may have swung the election in his favour.

"We are here because the language spoken by the religious right is Christian - this requires a uniquely Christian response," Mr Mrotek added.

In particular, the Alliance hopes to speak out on issues such as stem cell research and abortion.

"Many Americans, especially people of faith, are ready to hear from Christians who are tolerant, and who understand the many ways that our faiths impact our views of public life," it says on its website.

The group based in Jacksonville plans to recruit members nationwide.

A poll conducted last November by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found 63% of people who attend church services more than once a week vote Republican, while 37% vote Democrat.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/4124418.stm

Published: 2005/06/23 16:49:36 GMT

© BBC MMV