1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, well, well...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

How good it is to be back, I must say! However, the return does not come without passion.

First of all, not much info other than the following -

One of the coaches pointed out something that Steve was doing wrong. Van Gundy, obviously in a bad mood responded - "Yeah, I Fu(#in& know that but there's nothing we can do with him right now is there?" Not much but interesting.

Also, one of the people on the inside who WILL be leaving (Source gone!) said he 'believes' that VanGundy will move one of the 'pieces' and it could be Steve but not because he doesn't like Steve but because Steve doesn't fit. His words.

***************RANT***********************

I know people are going to go nuts, but like a 10 year child would say....."Who cares?!?!"

I know there are people who love Steve. Given the right opportunity, he'd probably 'love' you back (ok that was a shot!) However, I feel the need to do a little breakin' down the sitch-I-ation!

I look at Steve. I look at the guy that lots of people on this BBS call talented. Well, let's look at this:

He's our point guard - that's a fact.
    He wears #3 - that's a fact.
    He can NOT shoot the outside shot - that's a fact.
    He can NOT pass the ball to an open man - that's a fact.
    He can jump high and is extremely athletic - that's a fact.
    He can NOT dribble - that's a fact.
    He CAN dribble...and dribble, and dribble - that's a fact.
    He can NOT run a break - that's a fact.
    He can NOT play defense - that's a fact.
    He can not finish a layup - that's a fact.
    He is not basketball smart - that's a fact.
    He can rebound well for a guard - that's a fact.
    He leads the league in techs - that's a fact.
    He hustles - that's a fact.

Of course, these are just facts and I could be right. However, why do some feel that Steve is so untouchable? What is it actually that he does so well? I mean, seriously? Why is the $11 million dollar guy so UNTOUCHABLE to some? Where is this talent? I think Steve is a good dude. I really do. But to say that he doesn't commit crimes or drink and drive make him worth $11 mill? I mean, this guy WILL NOT get up off the floor without someone helping him up (Which drives me nutzzzzzzzz!)

Anyway, that's my rant. I just don't think that the argument that Steve needs to adjust for another couple of years holds a drop of water. Yao had to adjust and is. Mo had to and is...Cat had to and is...Cato had to and is. They're pros - everyone adjusts. Steve can't shoot, pass, dribble, or play defense and he certainly doesn't do it in the $11 mill range. I just don't get it. How many 4 of 18 nights will we go through before we say 'Hey, Steve, you'll be better on another team. No ill will, it would just be better for everyone.'

He had a nice 5 game streak the other day. It was nice. He can't sustain it. He doesn't know how, it's not in his nature. He's a scorpion and I'm tired of being Kermit. It's time for ME to grow up. It's time for ME to say 'I think he's wrong for OUR team.' Iverson is a HOF'er but he's wrong for OUR team. Why can't Steve just not be the right fit at point guard for us? Is that such a bad thing?

1 year of high chool, 1 of JC, 1 of college and at no time was he a pg. He's still not - it's time to be creative and find one. See, I think Yao is the one who needs to lead us to next level. If Steve (Or Cat or MO or Cato, etc..) hinder his progress, you move them - period!

That's it. Should be an interesting offseason. Oh, BTW, I'll still be excited when Steve hits a J in the playoffs. But please, don't use this as your 'stage for the nation' - just play ball...DUMP IT DOWN!! As Trump says, 'it's not personal-it's business!'

"Yao Ming checks back in!" man, I still get excited when I hear those words!

I'll check back in time...take care!
    dr

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

This is gonna be a loooooong thread. :)

3. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

wow.. good to have you back. see ya, stevie.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great to hear from you Doc Rocket

any word on what they would be looking for in return

and is Sheed an off season target

will they be busting to try to use the rice TE

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad you are back.

And, you are right about Steve, but the people who really don't understand basketball will surely be here to defend him.

Steve is an athletic player, who is one of the dumbest decision makers with the ball, I have ever seen.

At least once a game he is on a break and runs over a defender for a charge, and we all know it, so I am sure the rest of the league knows that if Francis is on the break just get in front of him and stand still.

Francis MUST go...period !!

DD

6. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

7. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Welcome back, Doc!

Watching this team is absolutely brutal. What's so difficult about a decent entry pass to Yao?

I will be shocked if the Rockets make the playoffs.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Good to have you back, Doc.

nyrocket: Shocked if we'll make the playoffs? What a drama queen.

9. farhan007

farhan007 Member

if he cant shoot outside, then how did he average 36% from the 3 line for his career INCLUDING this years percentage in that, so it actually will be around 37%! Is that bad 3 pt shooting?

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Steve definitely has to go. His play tonight was terrible. If the Rockets do get rid of him, we can definitely improve our backcourt and work around Yao. Now that's a positive about Francis. :D

11. birat

birat Member

ARe we talking about Steve...

Well, here's my two cents..

He's a loser.

12. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Awsome support from the fans like usuall for the city of houston!!!:D

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Possibly the longest thread ever, I want in.

Combines the two biggest passions of GARM: pro-Steve/Anti-Steve, and trade rumors.

And, as a Bulls fan, I must re-iterate -- you cannot have Kirk "21 and 13 tonight" Hinrich.

14. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Glad to see an insider back in action. Thanks for any and all input.

15. birat

birat Member

One time Yao was close to the basket in good position asking for the ball from Mobley who was in front of him...

and Mobley dribbled away .... and turned it over..

Excellent team play.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, haven't heard from you since you called JVG as our next coach and then erased the thread. ;)

I was worried that with the new JVG regime you had lost your sources, or worse, your job.

After tonight's game this is going to be a looong thread.

17. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

I'd suggest two things. One, watch this team play. Two, take a look at the remaining schedule.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Well now, since you had to go and bring Trump into this...I've got the most lovely two words for Stevie....."You're Fired!!!" :D

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Good to see that report DR.

I think SF and the Rockets will both be better off next season if SF is moved to the EC. This is a case where a trade can benefit all sides. Those fans foremost attached to Steve Francis should want to see him flurish in a system/situation more conducive to highlighting his talents--and that isn't the Houston Rockets.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I've done both those things. I've also looked at the cushion we have over Utah, Denver and Portland. At that's for the eighth spot. You'd actually be shocked if two of those teams didn't pass us? If you'd said something like 'there's actually a chance we could blow our 6 or 7 game cushion to TWO teams and miss the playoffs,' I'd say there was but it's a worst case scenario. Saying you'll be shocked if we make it is just silly.

edit: Just checked the schedule and the cushion's less than I thought, but I still think not making the playoffs is a serious stretch.

#20 Batman Jones, Mar 20, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2004