1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, well, well...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Mar 20, 2004.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the record, I think Steve played two years of JuCo ball...and one of them he WAS a point guard for the majority of his minutes. I was there for most of them.

2. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

If everything all of you is saying is true,,and we do move Steve what are we going to get in return??? He is one of our best players and our only point guard. We cannot dump him for nothing. We have to get and equally talented player. At least be realistic with all of your "rants".....if Steve doesnt fit fine....WHO DOES!!?!?!

3. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I really don't know because I think the entire league has taken note of Francis' short comings and I don't see teams throwing their talent at us in return. The time to move Francis was a couple of years ago before he signed his long term deal, but the Rockets missed the boat on that one. Now you have to depend on the ignorance of GM's to move Francis. Pippen caliber trades are a move backwards for this franchise.

I also think if JVG's words (if true, but Doc Rocket has been the best inside source I've seen on the BBS) if heard outside of the BBS could lead to teams offering less because they know we are creating a situation in which Francis will eventually have to go due to burned bridges within the organization. Furthermore, this is not the kind of thing you want your players to hear in the middle of an end of season playoff push.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Juugie,

Your anti-Yao trolling borders on obscene and ridiculous. If Francis gets moved, please tell me that you will go away from here.

Doc,

Great to hear from you! I didn't know what had happened to you. I am glad to see that Van Gundy has realized that Francis will never fit in with this team, at least with Yao as the focal point. I haven't been able to watch many games this season for a variety of reasons, but I really was looking forward to last night's game. And all I have to say is that it looked like the same old Rockets that I have seen the last several seasons - no clue on how to play smart team basketball. I used to think we were a lock for the playoffs, but I am now worried as our schedule is, by no means, easy. I think we still make it, but if we aren't careful, we may wind up playing the Kings, which is a terrible matchup for us compared to the Wolves.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Too bad fatman isn't still in charge. It would be a done deal then.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Doc - Great to hear from you. Please don't disappear again! We need your reports!

Now, if only Popeye would post again...

7. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

Rockets depend too much on Yao's performance. Their need an other super star, a TRUEstar player.
    I like T-Mac, who is unhappy in Magic. Let Yao + T-Mac be the backbone of Rockets.

8. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

He CAN lead us to another lottery - that's a fact
    [​IMG]

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Hey Juugie, moron, do you even read your OWN posts?

"when he (Yao) has a stink job like tonight, the Rockets will be completely blown out."

How many times have the Rockets be blown out when Steve has a bad game but Yao has a good game? How many times have the Rockets WON when Steve has a bad game and Yao has a good game. Go check your stats before opening your trap.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I still wish we could try this team with a real PG and small forward and let steve move to the 2.

If his only decision is shoot or drive - then he might be less prone to mistakes.

and spare me the "we have tried this with Mark Jackson" takes... I mean a PG that doesn't use a LARK to get from his car to the locker room

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Farhan has a point! This year is not the norm for Steve. Steve not being able to shoot is NOT A FACT!

12. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Aren't the Rockets making the playoffs this year?

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Before, Francis never functioned as a spot up shooter.

Before Yao Ming stepped up, most of Francis' shots were created on his own- he's an excellent pull up shooter when he's created his own shot, but when the ball swings around to him, he's just not good. Guys like Francis, and Billups as well are very good at bringing the ball up, breaking down their man, and nailing the J in his face. Unfortunately, we need him to be able to hit shots when Yao kicks it out, and that's just not his strength.

14. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Welcome back Doc, nice post.

15. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I agree that if Yao gets shut out, we lose...and I don't have a problem with that. It was kind of like that with that dream fella. They surrounded Dream with a cast off from SA for $50k, a trash pile PG from Sactown, a good PF dwelling on a bad team, an avg vet from all over (Mario), a white dude with 80's hair (Jent), two young kids with lots of college experience (Robert and Sammy), and your Airbulls, Herrrrrrr-rrrrrare-ruhhs, and Scotty Brook's. Oh yeah - AND THEY WON A CHAMPIONSHIP!

Why? Because they had roles and played as a team. Steve is very athletic and can dunk. Captain Kirk Hineyrick (LOVE THIS CAT!!) can play point guard and play his role. He's a 'player' - Wade is a player - Lebron and Melo are players...and then there's......uhh...let's see....uhh......hmm....... I mean, seriously, I think more value should be put on 2nd rounders because they have just as good a shot almost as being as good as a 1st rounder. Draft choices? I could care less. College players (For the most part) are terrible. There are a handful that are decent but does anyone remember 'the day' when the draft was 30 deep?

Today, and I think CD is as guilty as anyone, everyone trys to get whatever name player that's available...but they don't fit.

T E A M

You trade Moochie (Who does not fit) for Weatherspoon (Who DOES fit!). No, we're not going to build around CW. No, we're not going to depend on 40min a night from CW. No, we don't need 20ppg from CW. But, we do need hustle, unselfishness, hard work, rebounds, 15-20min and the occasional outside shot from him. THAT'S ALL WE NEED FROM HIM!!!! THAT'S HIS ROLE!! He plays it well.

He fits.

Padgett hustles his a$$ off, shoots ok, rebounds pretty good, is unselfish, and TRYS HARD on defense - He fits in HIS ROLE. He's not a starter by any means but for 8-10 mpg, he fits! Mark Jackson is slow, plodding, can't shoot that well but for 8-12mpg, he dishes and dishes and that's his 'role' for our team in 2004 only. In that role, he fits!

I'm not going to break down every player but you can see how people (Cat, Mo (off the bench), Yao, Cato, etc..) fit their role. It's NOT PERSONAL against Steve but he doesn't fit. He doesn't fit because (Let's go back to one of my other posts :p ) he doesn't GET IT.

We can win rings with the Brad Millers, Vlade Divacs, Tony Parkers, Steve Kerrs, Cat Mobleys, Mo Taylors, etc... We've got our Franchise - it's not 3, it's 11. Sorry but it's true. Everything you do is to help HIM help the TEAM get to where we need to go. That's the goal. If a player doesn't 'get it' you move that player for someone who does.

Anyway, IMHO, if you can move a player like Steve for:

Kirk H.
    TJ
    Tinsley
    Ray Allen
    Ridnour and Barry
    JW & Posey
    Kirilenko
    HIGH #1
    etc..........

you do it. These are just some random names off the top of my head. I look at from the TEAM not the player. If I could trade Yao and get Garnett and Kobe - I trade YAO. It's not personal Stevie. However, if we can't get decent value for him, we keep him..again, IMO.

Oh well..off to bed.
    CRAP..IT'S MORNING!! Great!! Just great!!

16. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Since Francis is the most hated player this year, the fans of the bbs have agreed to trade him for brent barry and rashard lewis.
    or Kirk heinrich and tyson chandler. Because of all the insider info just recieved it looks like a done deal. only a small task has to be done before francis is out the door. Someone has to tell Carrol Dawson, GM of the Rockets and someone has to tell the GMs of the Bulls and Sonics to make this deal happen.

As soon as Carrol Dawson agrees to get rid of Steve Francis, because the 100 or so members of the Clutchfans bbs said so, I will then start to respect the fantasy trade ideas offered here on this website.

17. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Good to hear from ya Doc. Although I do agree that Steve may not be the perfect fit for this team right now I dont know who would be. I would not trade him for anyone besides a point guard simply because they're too valuable. I know he's not having a great season but he's one of the few players in the league whom, when the game is on the line and no one else seems to be able to buy a basket, can step in and sink a few baskets or get to the line. Part of the problem I feel is that he didnt put the shooting work in this summer that he has put in throughout the past. He was content to go back home and relax. I think that next season his shot will be dropping as it has in the past and everyone will be happy with him. Do not trade this guy unless it is for a Kobe, Baron Davis, or Ray Allen type player. Steve is too special.

18. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

well one time, i don't remember who but may have been mobley, passed it inside to yao when yao was close to the basket and in good position. then yao turn to shoot and decided to fall on his ass.

those people who complain about yao not getting post entry passes tonight are off. that's usually true but tonight Yao got damn near 30 touches, and most of them good ones. he just couldn't do jack.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

QUIT blaming Steve for losing. How about blaming the team? How about understanding that the way to beat Houston is very simple? Play tough physical defense early. Houston is a soft team. Meaning our big three tend to back down from physical challenges. Get in their face and you get in their HEADS! Steve starts dribbling into trouble, Cat does not pass into Yao, and Yao becomes clumsy.

By the way, has anybody noticed JJ's mistakes on the court lately. From his passing to his driving, he hasn't been the veteran presence in the past two games!

Also, Mo boggs down the offense and does not play defense. I would love to package Mo in any of our deals this summer!

20. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Seems simple enough, all we need is:

1. a "true" point guard
    2. an athletic power forward who can play D
    3. another offensive threat once Francis is shipped away
    4. a good outside threat, well I guess this can be listed under #3
    5. some fans who stick up for their playoff bound team