1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets’ season was a big success — so too must be their offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 28, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. basketballholic

IBTL. Just kidding of course.

Good stuff as usual.

I'm just wondering if Morey promised Ariza no trade for a specified period of time. While I like Ariza and I don't want to see him go, I do see his contract as a trade chip that if necessary may need to be moved for us to take the next step.

Also, I think we have to consider secondary playmakers at other positions besides just point guard. Playmaking is a problem obviously. But the solution for playmaking may come from the 3 or 4 spots with the 1 spot being a 3&D player and perhaps the backup 1 spot being a player with more playmaking ability. I really like the idea of having 2 bigger playmakers on the floor and using the 1 spot for an ace defender and 3-point floor spreader. Shouldn't write off that possibility.

#2 basketballholic, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

beautiful article. Thank you for the much needed information heading into this off season.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

The Warriors are going to be there for a long time. I think every move we make ought to gear towards how to get better over the Warriors.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

fantastic write up.

I love the idea of Gasol, more than any other available UFA. The combination of he and Howard would be unstoppable. His ability to pass from the top of the key presents so many possibilities for our team to become read and react. It also gives us freedom to trade Howard (if he demands one) or let him walk to make room for KD in 2016. Add in Llull and I think we are ready for lift off.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

going to be interesting what happens with gs after this season

nice article

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is obviously the juicy part:

Interesting that you say Marc Gasol, but not Deandre Jordan. I feel like Jordan might be the better piece, as he is younger, plays more within himself (IE doesn't demand a post up) and is a local kid.

If we nab one of those, I can't really think we would want to play a dual center lineup, although maybe we do? Jordan and Howard won't work, but Gasol has the range to play PF, so that is interesting. If the Rockets were only interested in Gasol, maybe they are willing to do that, or maybe I am just overrating DJ.

Either way, I think this is going to be a really exciting offseason. Not quite sure what happens to a lot of really good free agents. One thing is for sure though, I hope some of them head east.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Reach out to Gasol? That is new. Clearly, the rockets need go after LMA hardly. If we can not improve the team lots, next year we could be no.4 in the West.

"Go after free agent power forwards LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love, but as crazy as it sounds, I’ve also been told they will reach out to Memphis center Marc Gasol, also a free agent."

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the Gasol thing is more like when we reached out to Paul... - hey we want you, but we don't think we'll get you - type thing.

Daryl always tries. And every time it surprises me. "Will you trade Dirk?" - lulz.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A great read, Clutch. The hole at the point was a killer. That we advanced as far as we did with 37 and 38 year old "point" guards (Terry really being a two dressed up as a one) is a freakin' miracle. The big surprise, at least for me, was reading that the Rockets have some serious interest in attempting to steal Gasol away from Memphis. He would be tremendous. The first thing to pop into my head was where does that leave Howard?

edit: Man, I'm slow on a keyboard. Twin Towers? Mind blown!

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

What kind of flexibility does Memphis have? Can they improve this offseason? Guess my round a bout question is what would lure gasol away from Memphis to Houston?

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Love, Aldridge, Gasol ... I think Howard ... might be expanded.

14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I want to keep Ariza. Only way he goes is if we upgrade at his position.

I think we were a good team this season, and not much changes need to be done player-wise. We also need to COMMIT to someone being our starting 4. Can't keep switching between Dmo, Smoove, and Jones.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Paul Millsap would be a great pick up if we could get him

16. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

Thanks Clutch.

I couldn't help but go back and look at the immediate post-mortem you wrote at the end of last season. That seems like forever ago, but that article turned out to be very prophetic.

Hopefully we'll read your post-mortem next June and say the same thing about today's article.

1 person likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks #1

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

After this deep playoff run, I bet Morey is kicking himself for not going all in on Dragic. What a difference he would have made. I thought and hoped he would pull the trigger on a Dragon rental but maybe something will happen this summer that results in a better (and longer) window of opportunity.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

good writeup, but one correction. The warriors were not a poor defensive team in 13-14, but rather the third best defensive team in the league. Inserting Green into the starting lineup, did however bolster their defense to #1 in the league this year, as well as improving their spacing, playmaking and versatility.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know this is fairy tale and 99% won't come to actuality, but if Gasol agreed to come to Houston would that mean Howard is out?