1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets’ season was a big success — so too must be their offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 28, 2015.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah! i think scola would sign here for the vet min. we were just in the WCF! we will be a top destination for older players who want to win. and if we trade jones (so that we don't have to pay him as a free agent next summer) AND smith gets a overpaid by another team... we will need a PF. scola gives us another player who can create his own shot, rebound, and still defend a bit.

i think the rockets have to figure out if they can trade for lowry, lawson, or jennings (best PGs that might be available) before deciding what bev is worth to them.

for example... assume we trade for lowry, and then bev receives a 4 year $8M/yr offer from the mavs... do we match? probably not worth spending that money for a 3rd guard. now lets say we can't land a deal for any of those PGs, but rather traded a bunch of assets for faried... do we match that offer then? probably, since we need a starting PG.

now, what happens if dallas decides to make the offer to him before we know if our other options are materializing? they did this by signing parsons before we heard back from bosh and it really forced the rockets to move quickly. well, if they do that again, we probably let him walk. however, this year we can prevent that by looking to trade before the draft. if we can't make a deal with toronto, denver or detroit before free agency starts, then we have to plan on matching any decent offer to bev.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Capela is a keeper... He can develop to do a good time split with D12 and ease his minutes and knee - and hopefully take the starting role whenever and whatever...
    Josh is a keeper. Despite the inconsistencies, give him a fully season tossing those alley-oops to Howard and we will contend for best record. MLE or whatever - keep him - a DMo/JSmith duo at pf can be a sufficient for a ring - imo... with Howard and Capela - I'll take that 4 man front court rotation.
    Brewer - love to keep, but don't know if the chips are gonna fall that way...
    not interested in retaining Terry at another year slower...

otherwise, it's all about the pg position....
    If teams are scared off PBev because of postinjury, maybe we keep him - if it can be done at minimal expense -happy with him as a backup - but obviously its all about getting a better starting option... and filling out the roster with vet mins...

3. Nook

Nook Member

DMO has showed improvement in his three point shot. If he can up his % by another 1-2% and increase his volume, then he becomes far more valuable. He will never be a good rebounder but if we ran with him at the 4 and he showed that marginal improvement, we could address the PG position.

As it is, I think Jones is gone and DMO too if we can get one of the bigs being discussed.

Post more in the GARM.

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

Would love to get Lowry and Faried. I don't think Scola and Brooks will do as the primary backups. A few seasons ago, probably. Brooks is a bit too undersized. Why not keep Terry as the backup? I suppose Brooks would be slightly better.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Dwight isn't going anywhere. He really wants to win, he isn't leaving the team that made the WCF and Morey has treated Dwights agent with kids gloves to secure trust with future possible max level free agents.

6. Nook

Nook Member

After their playoff dismantling there were numerous reports they were seriously considering firing their coaching staff and rebuilding. However the fact Casey saved his job tells me there won't be a fire sale. I think the Rockets will jump at a chance to fet Lowry, keep in mind he was far less effective in the second half.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How does a stretch 4/5 who can't board (but can hook) help us against the Warriors? Especially when they go small. I just don't see how the pieces fit to equal warriors kryptonite.

Motiejunas is such a weird player. Can't board for ****, but is somewhat OK as a post defender, is an elite hooker, and developed into a passable stretcher. It's an odd bundle of contradictions. A lot like the rest of the Rockets.

The Warriors have a lot of players with interchangeable skill sets so they can play the same way no matter who is out there. The Rockets currently have a ton of weirdo outliers and I don't mean it in a bad way, it's just harder to maintain a consistent identity when your have the island of misfit toys. That's really one of the bright spots with Capela - he was basically a mini dwight skill set with no ability to demand post ups so it was surprisingly easy to integrate him on the fly.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yeah, it was a little strange. I'm wondering if he was playing injured before it became publicized.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets stand not far from where they were last summer-- a good but flawed team that needs to be a whole level better to become a contender. I suspect that Morey's summer strategy will be similar to his strategy last summer, too.

He will go after several elite players regardless of position and hope to land one (no guarantee any of them chooses Houston). If he gets one, he will try to fill out the rest of the roster with limited assets. If he fails to land any, he will once again go the "asset and flexibility route" and hope to land an elite player later.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Players that can shoot with high IQ have to be the priority. I'm absolutely sick of watching Brewer in the playoffs. Yes he has won us some key games, but he is then a negative in the rest of the games.

I think we will try to go after Mike Dunleavy in the offseason. Not a great defender, but neither is Brewer. But he gives you consistent shooting and is a high IQ player.

Brewer will help more in the regular season, but Dunleavy will help tons when it comes to playoff time.

Also we need somebody else that can attack the rim.

Harden is the only one on this team that can create his own offense. Look at the Warriors and almost everyone can either score on their own (Barnes has one of the highest scoring % in isolation plays, Draymond isn't useless on the post and can attack, Klay is obvious, Livington is good on the post with his mid-range shot, Iguodala has moments and can create for others etc).

11. dje243

dje243 Member

Just get a PG and resign bev, KJ, and Smith. Trade Priggs, Papa, TJ, Llull and whoever else it takes for Lawson or Lowry.

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/KJ
    DMO/Smith
    Dwight/Capela

12. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Brandon Wright
    Marco Bella eli
    Brandon Jennings/Louis Williams

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bye Howard!

14. dream2franchise

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hope so!!!!! <a href="https://t.co/myd4VIP9K6">https://t.co/myd4VIP9K6</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21/status/604153257133350912">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No not really. I'm excited. Just pissed I couldn't help my teammates. <a href="https://t.co/BvjBdokytI">https://t.co/BvjBdokytI</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21/status/604152917638012928">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think dwight goes anywhere, unless he demands it. We're is he gonna go that will allow him to play with a better player than harden? Obviously heading back east would make it easier to get to were he got this year but no way a dwight led team with say Paul George would be able to beat the cavs. As long as lebron is playing he's coming out the east for the next 4 years. The only way I would trade dwight is if okc was open to trading KD for him. I know it sounds far fetched and prob is but if KD says he will go to Houston in the offseason maybe they try and snag Howard and picks for him, although Howard could walk that offseason also so really no point from okc standpoint is rather have one year for KD than Howard all day.

I think houston doesn't need another star player but they do need a Allstar level guy. Gsw don't have another superstar next too curry but they have klay who will prob make a few more Allstars games in his career. Getting a Ty Lawson or lowery would be huge now obviously getting a lamarcus Aldridge Marc gasol would do wonders it not needed when you have James harden.

Another name that could be out their imo could be Dwayne wade. It looks like things are going sour in Miami and we no pat Riley won't cripple his team for anyone. Hardens so good that wade and Howard could rest for half the year just to be ready for the playoffs. It would be interesting but I think wade would be had for a 2 yr 28 mil year with player option for 2nd. Him and harden would work wonderful together as he knows exactly how to play with a guy like harden. If wade can be had I think he's who the rocksts should go for as long as they can get him and Retain Bev smith and ariza.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Didn't you hear? Harden isn't all that great. Not a superstar nor a viable #1 option. Most likely an alcoholic with possible other chemical dependencies. Also clearly more interested in partying than taking his career seriously.

Dwight the poster boy of seriousness and commitment to being the best he can be and playing to his strengths is gonna be out of here asap.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if there is some opportunities with Miami. Wade is allegedly far apart with Heat on a new contract. I don't really want Wade (health, age, decline, limited shooting range), but if he leaves, maybe Dragic becomes less interested in staying and Miami needs to think about cashing in on Bosh?

I would love to have either Dragic or Bosh.

18. MistaK

MistaK Member

Why would you want Howard and DeAndre though?? As you mentioned, you can't play both of them together and if the Rockets did it wouldn't work out great, as Harden wouldn't have the room to operate. Also thinking about the FTs gives me nightmares already. We literally couldn't play half our players in end game situations because they wouldn't be able to hit a FT to save their lives.

Gasol on the other hand would make sense, you could play Gasol and Howard at the 4&5. Gasol is a good enough shooter to spread the floor and he is a great passer out of the post.

I have had this feeling for some weeks now, that we will be going after Lowry. Toronto seems to be flaming out in the first round. They will need to make changes up there and Lowry didn't look too happy towards the end of the season. Lowry is on a relatively cheap contract and would be exactly what this team is missing. A playmaker who can shoot the 3 at a decent enough clip, attacks the rim, hustles and plays decent defense.

Eventhough I'd like to see the 4 upgraded, I don't think it is a main priority. Our 4s had to go up against elite 4s and they did a somewhat decent job (albeit inconsistent). I think our priority is:

1) Secondary playmaker (at the 1 or from the forward spot)
    2) Pure shooters (we saw the need throughout the season and playoffs)
    3) PF position upgrade

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yep, i think the odds are by august the front office narrative will be "durant in july 2016"

20. baubo

baubo Member

The cap will rise so high next year that the Rockets can effectively do anything this offseason and still be in the Durant race next year. Durant in 2016 is a totally independent scenario compared to the 2015 offseason because we can go after him whether or not we sign LMA or Gasol this offseason.