1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets’ season was a big success — so too must be their offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 28, 2015.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In addition to adding Draymond Green, they also added Harrison Barnes to the starting lineup, right? Didn't Iggy man the 3 spot for GS last year? That put Iggy and his D/playmaking on the bench and better balanced the team. What a luxury GS had with Iggy/Livingston coming off the bench to provide playmaking.

Great writeup Clutch. That Gasol mention was interesting. Rockets had interest in him before, but that was before Howard.

I love Ariza's role on the Rockets, but he is not untouchable. I would move him, but only for that clear "3rd star" type player.

I certainly would be all over that trade suggestion basketballholic mentioned with Ariza/Dmo(or TJ)/#18 to Detroit for #8 (Winslow) plus fodder....to create max cap room for Love.

2. thiefery

thiefery Member

Maybe the Asik,Howard combo is still bitter for me that I wouldn't want no parts of Marc Gasol unless it's because Howard wants out.

I also think a team out there will actually over pay Beverley, leaving the PG spot in glaring need..

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Had nothing to do with the offer and everything to do with Dragic preferring to run the lotto show in Miami and get paid rather than contend.

4. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

I hope this wasn't our last and best chance into the Finals.

If they could improve from here on out I will be ecstatic.

Go Rockets!

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

A long time? I don't think so. They'll probably match Green unless they can't find a taker for David Lee's contract. If they don't keep Green, the Warriors are in deep doodoo. That is nowhere near as good of a team without that dude.

Even if they do keep him, they'll probably lose Barbosa. He only made a little under 1.5 mil this season and I can't believe someone out there won't offer him more than that this summer given he's only 32 and still has plenty of game left in him. They also have a team option on Speights who would be due nearly 4 mil next year. They may have to decline that if resigning Green puts them into heavy luxury tax territory.

Then there's the 2016 offseason. They'll have to resign Barnes and Ezeli. Those two will be in high demand in the free agent market. And sure, the cap is scheduled to go up that summer and maybe the Warriors can hang onto both. But then what about 2017 when Curry, Bogut, Iggy, and Livingston are all free agents?

See the problem now? The Warriors at the very best have this season and the next 2 to contend with this core(minus Barbosa and possibly Speights) and that's if everything goes right for them. That's not to say the Rockets don't have to concern themselves with Golden State, but I have a feeling this is the best Warriors team we'll encounter over the next few seasons. It's all downhill from here for them(even if only slightly).

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So K-Pap, Priggs, Jones and picks is enough for us to trade for Lowry or Conley ($$ wise)?

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dwert, TJ, KJ McD + some scrub (K Pap) or two for Gasol and Conley

Get er done Murry

Conley
    Harden
    Ariza
    DMO
    Gasol

We got the white twin towers

8. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Gasol is a a longshot as are LaMarcus Aldridge and Love. That being said, if Morey tabbed any of the above mentioned players he could trade Howard for an elite PG or PF and possibly get a pick as well. Draft a PG, a shooter, and possibl y another PF with an extra pick.

Perhaps Dwight could be trade to his hometown Altanta for Milsap since they're both FA's.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Probably. Sounds like a sign-and-trade scenario. But why would Memphis do that? The funny thing is Gasol is almost a year older than Dwight, although he doesn't rely on his athleticism as much, so he'll have a longer career.

Personally, I prefer Dwight.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good article Clutch - thanks.

DD

11. basketballholic

.....or Gasol.

Gasol is the preferred get over LaMarcus for several reasons.

#1 being that he is a legit high-post CENTER. This is the best of all worlds for us. IF we sign him we've got a great Dwight replacement if Dwight opts out and wants to leave or if Dwight wants to be traded.

#2 being that he is a great high-post fit to Dwight's low post game. So he can easily play alongside Dwight for extended minutes and create mismatches for almost any defense in the league.

#3 Gasol is far and away the best playmaking big man in the business today. And he's the kind of out of the box playmaker this team needs. Would make it so much easier to get 3&D guys at the PG spot with Gasol being able to facilitate our offense, with Harden and when Harden sits.

#4 Gasol is just a 7-year vet, similar to Love. LaMarcus on the other hand is a 9-year vet. While both of their max contracts would be the same this season, LaMarcus has a lot more incentive to take a 1-year deal and revisit free agency next season when he's a 10-year vet and can get a much higher max since his max moves up to 35% of the cap (basically) versus Gasol's 30% of the cap. This may not seem like a big deal right now but in a year it could become a huge deal if the cap goes up enough. Because the difference in Gasol's or Love's max deals versus LaMarcus' max contract may be just the amount we need to sign a 4th max free agent or make an imbalanced trade for another great player on a near max deal.

I suspect Marc Gasol is target #1 on Morey's list in 2015 free agency. I think Morey would clear cap to sign him and would be wiling to give Gasol a 2-year deal with a player opt-out if Gasol wants to keep maxing his money next summer.

And I also agree its a longshot that Gasol leaves Memphis.

But it doesn't hurt to dream about a team with:

Harden
    Winslow/Hezonja
    Marc Gasol
    Dwight Howard (or whomever we trade him for or let him walk and sign)
    Great PG signed or traded for next summer.

#31 basketballholic, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

GS wasn't a poor defensive squad last year, they were 3rd in defensive rating.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really think it is unlikely that Gasol leaves Memphis. And clearly SA has an interest so that seems like a more likely spot for him to land IF Gasol leaves, which again I just don't think it will happen.

14. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Good article Clutch. I too would be disappointed if we lost Ariza, he has been a huge part of our success this year and his defensive skill would be a big loss. We need to keep these type of veterans as well.
    I would be keen on a big like Millsap or LMA. Love I don't think would work here, would be far too many holes on defence .

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Morey's biggest test comes now: time to truly build around H2o in the off-season so we can have our team ready from the start. Leslie needs to put his money where his mouth is and go deep into luxury tax! Agree with the succes of 14-15.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Defense is important, but fixing the offense is just as important. I believe the Rockets were top 6 in D rating but only top 12 in O rating.

The Rockets need to fix their "half court offense" so it is efficient. In doing this, they also fix a defensive hole which is transition D. Better half court offense means less rebounds and fast breaks for the other team.

The Rockets get better in the half court with more Playmakers and Shooting. The Rockets "fast break offense" should only be "value add" and not part of their core offense.

Just something to think about.

17. basketballholic

Dead on. Although I will add our other significant area of improvement needs to be rebounding. GS simply torched us. Behind Dwight we have no serious rebounders. Especially if McHale is gonna keep Capela glued to the bench in favor of Terrence.

So, along with the half-court playmaking and shooting we need to add rebounding as well.

Marc Gasol sure checks all those boxes.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I have them at 4th.

2015 - 1st (Draymond Green 2400 min, 79 GS
    2014 - 4th (Draymond Green 1797 min, 12 GS)
    2013 - 13th (Draymond Green 100 min, 1 GS)

The force is strong in this one.

It's not all Green but it's pretty obvious he's a catalyst for them on defense (whereas Lee is an anti-catalyst)

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GS out rebounding the Rockets perplexed me. Angered me really. Clearly the Rockets PF spot got destroyed in that area. And even if we had DMO, how much would he help with that? He is a poor rebounder himself.

I actually think Beverley would have helped greatly. He nabs all of those missed 3pt shots that land around the FT line area.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Marc Gasol. Interesting.