1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name the PGs in the NBA that are better than Ty Lawson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Nov 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

Simple question. How do you rank him? Especially defensively, how good/bad do you think he is defensively?

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

Curry, CP3, D-Rose, Westbrick, Parker, Rondo........ and Lin

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

of all the starting pg's lawson is probably ranked right in the middle of the pack out of 30.

assuming good health in no particular order CP3, curry, rose, wall, westbrook, irving, rondo, lillard, parker.

after this ill group pg's like dragic, conley, lowry, lawson together

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Name the worse ones:

Lin.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Lin can take all of them in math.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Jeremy Lin

/thread

7. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

You're criminally underrating Lowry.

He's the 4th best point guard in the league right now, only behind Westbrook, Curry and CP3.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't watch a lot of basketball other than the Rockets, and I'm not particularly gifted at the eyeball test for defense. Still, just looking at stats (which obviously only tells part of the story), I have to wonder why Irving, Conley, Lowry, and maybe even Wall are so obviously ahead of Lawson. When I think of point guards, I think of guys like Rod Strickland - guys who get in the paint and create offense. In my limited analysis, the following three stats somewhat measure a PG's ability to create offense. Notice I didn't include 3PT%. To me, that's a finisher stat. Your studs like a Lawson or a Harden draw the double team that allows an open man to hit a 3 point shot. Anyway, this is my limited analysis:

- Assists per 36 - Lawson had the highest of these 5 - 8.8 per 36 last year!
    - FTA / FGA - Lawson's ahead by alot. This is one of my favorite stats period;
    - Finishing (FG% within 3 feet of the basket) - all five are pretty comparable.

So, given this, why are these other four guys on another tier than Lawson? Does Lawson suck at defense? I know Kyrie sucks at defense, so I think ranking him higher is questionable.

9. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Lawson doesn't do anything spectacular. He racks up higher assists because he's VERY quick and in a floor race nobody touches him, but he doesn't have playmaking abilities that Irving, Curry, Westbrook and so forth have. Nor is he a great shooter like Curry and Lillard. Or a great defender like Conley. He doesn't have the passing skills of Rondo. Tony Parker just has qualities that really no other PG in the league possess, really the engine of that incredible Spurs offense. Lowry is an absolute warrior on the court, puts everything on the floor, tough as nails and great defender.

Lawson has speed but is usually only effective in the open court, thus he depends on fast breaks to showcase his best asset, his speed. He's small too and while not a terrible defender, could never be great defensively.

All around solid point guard but could never touch the top tier of guards.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nothing wrong with where I placed Lowry. I like Lowry a lot actually. All those pgs especially the first nine are amongst the elite. He hasn't jumped that high yet as far as top 5 but Hopefully he can make his first all star team this year.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Kyrie isn't better than Lowry, Conley, Lawson, or Dragic.

Having a flashy game =|= being an elite pg.

12. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Well, Raptors may end up with the best record in the league, just beat a really good Memphis team, and have a roster on paper isn't amazing. Lowry makes that team better which is what its all about.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Agree but still got a long way to go before the season is over. Way too early to tell right now. And on paper their roster is actually pretty solid. They have players that can play

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

May I ask the OP what prompted this thread?

15. basketballholic

Just curious about him. He's got a long-term deal in place. Denver is going nowhere. He gets to the free throw line like Harden. And he's very good in A/TO ratio at almost 3:1 which is what we need big time. And....he can shoot.

Just wondering if he may be more easily attainable in a salary dump for Denver. And if he is....is his D good enough to be worth his price. I really think our PG has to bring D above everything else. Defense and playmaking with the ability to knock down the 3-ball at a decent clip.

Personally I don't think his D is very good. But if he were acquirable in a salary dump, perhaps attached to Javale's contract, maybe we could trade for him without giving up much besides contracts and some second rounders. Then he could possibly be flipped with other assets for a true 2-way PG and a shooting PF.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

he can get into the defense and probe in and out..

which no one on this team currently does..

harden is either shooting a stepback, a 3, or going full steam to the bucket..

17. NotChandlerParsons

Offensively, he's very good, but not $11m good. Defensively, not great and he's also 5'11". I can only think of a handful of PGs I would pay $10m+ and he is not one of them.

18. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Why would Denver trade Lawson?

They need to dump like 6 guys off that team before they'd even consider moving him. He's still a building block. They need to figure out the direction they're going in as an organization but usually the answer is not to first trade your best player to figure out that direction.

19. Asian Sensation

This. With one caveat ....being ... unless said best player wants out of current situation/starts demanding trades.

20. basketballholic

The direction they are going is to the lottery. And they have no trade-able assets to get them to the playoffs. Javale's contract is dead weight and is killing their cap and flexibility. They have a plethora of mediocre forwards that will generate nothing in a trade. And no team is going to trade them a great player that gets them into the playoffs so that team can then have their first round non-lottery draft pick. They're at $73 million payroll now with not enough cap room to sign a difference maker next season. Kroenke lost the team when he ditched George Karl. Shaw is doing nothing with them. A coaching change isn't going to save them. They are headed to the lottery. (And they know it.)

Dump 6 guys off the roster? Good luck with that. This isn't 2002.

At some point they're going to have to blow it up.

I suspect right now that Denver would part with Gallo IF they could send out Javale with him and take back expirings and a second rounder. Don't see how it's stretching it too far to think that Lawson could be on the market at some point with the same Javale contract tied to his ankle.