1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ASIK vs HOWARD value ? Dream helping ASIK catch and finish?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Nov 8, 2013.

?

who is the better value

1. asik

106 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. howard

93 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Play07

Play07 Member

ASIK 2012-2013
    $8,000,000
    30min
    11.7 rebounds
    1.0 turnovers

Howard 2012-2013
    $22,000,000
    34min
    12.4 rebounds
    3.5 turnovers

ASIK 2013-2014
    $8,000,000
    23mins
    9.3 rebounds
    1.0 turnovers
    0.7BLK
    70% FT

Howard 2013-2014
    $22,000,0000
    34mins
    14.5 rebounds
    3.5turnovers
    1.1 BLK
    50% FT

ASIK value / dream
    Why did dream never come in and help ASIK ? Of course asik is an uncoordinated player who is never going to be half of what dream was, but I feel like he could have helped ASIK catch the ball and finish around the rim better which was the only thing he was lacking. I feel that this is something he could have improved on with time and the right amount support. He had no issue with running P&R, he set good screens, played good defense, and never brought any drama on the court & he has also worked on his free throw shooting if you have watched all games this season.

HOWARD value / dream
    He has worked with dream but don’t think he will ever be a great post-up player. First of all we have a SG that needs the ball in his hands and is our go to player down the stretch. I don’t think we will ever go to howard with 24sec on clock for a post up you take the risk of him getting fouled or turning the ball just not a smart play. Howard was brought here for supposedly better defense ( i would say him and asik are really the same), shot blocking (he is no hibbert) better finisher (I will give that to him but was just that worth the money $22,000,000 ?) We said he could kick ball out shooters with double teams like in orlando well the way mchale runs his offense through harden this does not happen. When he does get ball in post he never kicks to the 3 point shooter, he is looking to attack and score, do what mchale and dream wanted him to do in the post. (so I cant blame him for that) Long story short the only thing the rockets gained with $22,000,000 was a center who could catch the ball and finish better vs asik (but you can still argue greg smith is the best at that on the rockets roster)

Morey
    If he is a stats guy did he take a look at the numbers and know that he would still have $22,000,000 to spend on different players and still get just about the same production from the center spot.(see stats above) Morey did a great job on getting asik here on that contract. I just feel that we could have upgraded a spot like PF. Wing defenders that can shoot would be nice but we have that in vet min guys (casspi and garcia) who are great so really could have just saved the money and waited on that.

Howard Hater
    I was excited when he came to Houston because I am a ROCKETS fan not about his production but was hoping he would be a good fit here. I stood out in front of the Toyota center in the 100 degree heat for hours waiting on howard to welcome him to Houston with the other thousands of fans so please don’t call me a HOWARD hater. But I will like to discuss things in an respectful manner and understand everyone will not agree.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, sometimes you just have water it more and take better care of yours.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There seem to be some pretty significant statistics missing from your post.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Why do you only have those stats? Why aren't you comparing points, FG%, blocked shots, FTA?

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Nice cherry picking!

5. Play07

Play07 Member

haha thanks

6. Play07

Play07 Member

blocked shots on there, pts ok howard 6 more a game , FTA oh what cost us the game last night and FT% is on there...

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You can't coach hands. Howard will always catch and finish better than Omer.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

thanks for the reply, but my post was is that worth $22,000,000

9. justtxyank

6 points a game is pretty significant, especially when you consider how few shots Howard actually takes.

I love Omer, and with the exception of blocked shots I think he is just as good if not better at playing defense than Howard.

However, Howard is significantly better at the other end of the floor. Significantly. He's more efficient, more explosive, has better post moves (lol) works better in the PnR, etc. He's also a better rebounder and his ability to block shots better than Asik helps the defense.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

understand but what blks are you seeing from howard ???? check the stats again and read full article. hibber ibaka chandler are shot blockers

11. justtxyank

You chose to only show the blocked stats for this year.

In a small sample size, Dwight is blocking the fewest shots of his career right now.

Omer is good for about 1 block a game and Dwight is good for a little more than 2 the past few years, but about 3 before that.

Edit: Hibbert is off to an amazing start right now obviously, but he and Dwight are pretty close to each other traditionally in the blocks category.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

is the worth $22,000,000 ? you guys really take up for howard

13. justtxyank

I'm having a reasonable discussion with you like you asked. I guess if I don't agree with you then I'm "taking up for Howard."

The Rockets, Mavericks, Lakers, Hawks and Warriors all thought that he was worth $22 million. Those are some pretty good front offices according to most people, at least lately. Maybe you should have sent all of them your stat breakdown ahead of time?

14. Play07

Play07 Member

ok i understand other teams wanted him, and yes howard averages 2 more blocks per game last year, not this one.

15. justtxyank

We are only 6 games in right now. None of the stats mean anything yet. Hibbard isn't going to average close to 7 blocks a game for the year.

Dwight will end up averaging more points, more rebounds, more blocks (per game and per 36 minutes on all of those) higher FG%, more assists, etc.

The one area where he has a good chance to be worse than Omer is FT%.

Dwight will probably lead all centers in every significant stat other than blocks and will probably lead the league in rebounds and rebounds per 36. That's incredibly valuable.

16. Awkh

Awkh Member

Every penny. You gotta PAY to WIN in this league.

Big Name All-Stars = A team the NBA will be willing to build up showcase = More mainstream = More revenue = (More Ref calls) = -Cycle of the NBA-

You're NOT going to win in this league with "mediocre brand name" players. Those days are GONE. I'm sure we experienced that long enough ever since the Yao & TMac era ended with all the good players that came thru Morey.

Mediocre Brand Name Players = **** blocking the NBA Playoffs = No Mainstream = Less Revenue = No Ref calls (Early playoff exits) = Cycle of a team stuck in mediocricy (example go back few years with the Rockets)

Which top 8 teams have a roster full of "mediocre brand name" players, and are in Western Finals year after year?!

All the team needs is time settle down play basketball. It's the first 6 games out of 5 more years of Howard and Harden ball. I'm sure Morey is taking note weeding out our weaknesses.

Having a All-Star getting paid 22mil is NOT one of them.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They are both incredible values. Asik makes less than Oberto and Howard took less money to join the Rockets.

18. Grinds

Grinds Member

Remember when comparing turnovers.... if the player (Asik) doesn't catch the ball, it's the passer's TO.

19. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Wow Asik has more votes....

20. Play07

Play07 Member

ok......