1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ASIK vs HOWARD value ? Dream helping ASIK catch and finish?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Nov 8, 2013.

?

who is the better value

1. asik

106 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. howard

93 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Play07

Play07 Member

asik 7reb 24mins
    Howard 8reb 40mins

Howard is the better player but morey went out and spent $22,000,000 on someone who can just catch and finish better, and blocks shots when he feels like it....

2. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

I wrestled my brain with this topic all summer...I think the Rockets has stunted Asik growth as a player but it doesn't matter what the fans think

3. Play07

Play07 Member

yes you're right

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

One big issue you forgot...Howard sometimes tends to be a chemistry destroyer; since his arrival here there's been a lot more finger pointing and distrust between teammates from last year.

There are some guys where I think Asik is actually the better overall defender than Howard. Asik's free throw shooting has improved too.

The big question is though, and forget stats...how well does each guy fit into this particular up-tempo style offense?

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Oh and has also single-handedly taken a team to the finals.

He has an efficient post game when we go to him.

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Howard does have an efficient post game; however by having that post game it requires the Rockets to dramatically change the style of offense that they are geared for and which they played last year as the number 2 offense in the league...which is run and gun.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is Asik even motivated to show his A game?

8. Deniz

Deniz Member

Asik looked very unhappy and demotivated which is understandable. He's a ''starter'' but he plays less minutes than the bench players (did he play in the 4th quarter yesterday?)...LOL.
    It's totally understandable that Asik wants out.

However he played a good game yesterday especially in the third quarter.

9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

A couple of things Asik is way better than Dwight at are:

1) Defending the PNR by moving his feet laterally and pressuring the ball handler +recovering quickly to find his man. Dwight kinda just camps out in the paint.

2) Positioning in general but especially on rebounds. Dwight doesn't box out, mainly just jumps over everyone for the rebound. Asik actually fights for position and does the 'dirty work' underneath.

Everything else Dwight is ten times better, especially catching and finishing.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Add setting screens, free throws, & effort to that list also

11. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

not to discredit anything you just said but the year Dwight Howard got drafted was Asik first started playing basketball at age 17...Howard is terrible in the post he gets ripped constantly everytime they go in to him. Me personally I would have just signed Josh Smith to play PF and would have spent better money on the bench but Morey get paid to do this I just get paid to kill bugs lol

12. Play07

Play07 Member

Good game tonight for Asik, rim protection & defense was much needed, I still respect the effort that was given last year.

13. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Dwight is so much better than Asik at almost everything. His post game may look bad at times and he can turn the ball over alot, but he is 18pts, 13-14 rpg, and 2.4 blocks. Thats damn good for Dwight and he's doing this as mainly a post up player and very little pick-and-roll. Dwight all day.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Nothing against Howard good he is here, but scoring was never a problem with the rockets last year. Please read my full post from almost a month ago

15. conquistador#11

easy to understand why other gms are saying daryl wants too much for asik. He is worth it! Keep them both til contract is up.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

Remember this post is about VALUE not who is better

17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I think Asik is actually better in several areas. He's a better pick and roll defender, better at grabbing contested rebounds, and sets better picks. He's probably also a better man to man defender.

Also, the offense seems to flow better with him out there because he doesn't bog things down by demanding the ball on the post.

Howard can finish lobs much better than Asik, but honestly, I've been disappointed with his ability to catch and finish on non-lob passes. He seems to bobble it and get stripped a lot more than I expected.

In terms of post play, Howard's perception of his ability does not jive with his actual production. I know he's had a couple recent good performances against single coverage. But his turnover rate is awful and he hurts our offensive flow.

I'm personally going to miss Asik when we trade him. I think I'd rather have him on the team over anyone we could get for him. I wish Dwight would embrace a high energy/defense/rebounding/pick setting role, but I don't think that's going to happen. If he doesn't embrace the pick and roll, then we're never going to be real contenders.

1 person likes this.
  18. pnr

pnr Member

This. If Asik can play 20-25 minutes a night depending on matchups without pouting, that production will be equal if not better than what we will get with an incoming player IMO.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

Feel you, all about value

20. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

You can't be serious , Dwight is a superstar. You can't just compare numbers, it doesn't work that way. You're forgetting the intangibles: the revenue, ability to attract other FA etc.

Do you think Tjones will have the same stat line if he were to play next to Asik? Maybe but highly unlikely , he gets a lot of easy look because of Dwight.