1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ASIK vs HOWARD value ? Dream helping ASIK catch and finish?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Nov 8, 2013.

?

who is the better value

1. asik

106 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. howard

93 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Keep Howard and Asik. Thats all I need to say. They are important. Asik played great.

2. bongman

bongman Member

How many free agents do you think want to play with Howard and possibly take a pay cut? Same question for Asik.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

It's not just the 22 million dollar price tag though.

You have to look at the next best option(s). If we did not sign Dwight, we would have cap space and what else? Josh Smith?

You can't just go by the most "efficient" dollar - otherwise we wouldn't have Harden or Lin either. It would be a bunch of draft picks, veteran minimum guys, etc. The team would only win 20 games a year. Parsons would average 20 a game and we would have a shoestring budget and each win would "cost" the lowest in the league in dollar terms.

4. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Asik is the better value.

Howard is the better player.

5. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

This. Thank you!

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Great what about 2 years down the line when Asik gets the max (like any one who is 7 foot and competent), yet he still has 1/2 of Dwight's athleticism and still no ability to catch the ball.

Asik has value RIGHT NOW because he was gotten cheap due to Morey's craftiness, but that is the perfect time to move the guy and get a superstar/near superstar talent back.

7. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah I think Asik was sufficient enough to man the center position full time, but then what else is out there to help put you over the hump. Dwight was the best use of the money at the time.

Although i'd be watching to see if Dwight doesn't start getting more fundamentally sound with his offense and defense. He's got alot of games logged and his athleticism is due to fall at a quicker pace heading into his 30's. He's going to need to develop some Tim Duncan skills if that contract is going to be worth it.

If he can't, then Morey better put his best Orlando Magic imitation roster together and win the chip in the next year or two.

Definitely don't want to be saddled with an Amare Stoudemire situation.

8. akxninja

akxninja Member

Diminishing returns in production per dollar is harsh in the NBA, but that's the system they run. Minor upgrades in production equate to big upgrades in contract pricing, just like technology, a chip that may only be 10% faster than the next will cost almost 2x as much as the previous, it's just the price to pay for premium service.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

Nawh not josh smith someone like Iggy maybe

- Howard has improved so I'm liking what I see, I just hope his post ups are more consistent by playoffs, because if not he is slowing down our offense when he has a off night by continuing going to him & the lack of screens he sets for Lin & harden compared to asik doing them every play,

-Morley made a good move regardless because I doubt he lets him walk for nothing regardless & should attract other players while he is here

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Howard is the best big man in the game, Asik is a limited big- a nice role player.

You always go for the better talent.

DD

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

On paper what looks like a small improvement on the court translates into the difference between just a top 10 defensive center who is very limited offensively to by far the best Center in the league, multiple DPOY awards, and a player that has consistently been in the top 5 in MVP votes.

Also Dream can't coach butterfingers. Asik isn't just going to wake up one day, do a few drills with Dream, and start catching the ball like Jerry Rice. Its kind of hard to score the basketball in the post if you cant hold onto the ball in the first place.

12. yummyhawtsauce

When you put Asik on the floor, the ball moves better and basketball becomes exciting again. Asik is pretty good on defense, but he won't score you many buckets. He will turn it over a few times a game.

For DH - the offense goes thru him and Harden. The offense slows down a lot. Players dont get to touch the ball as often and the game slowsssss downnnn.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

So the op wants us to role wih omer and always get the 14th pick..

Seems logical

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm not very good at math...

But 22 million is more valuable than 8.

15. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Wow he lead the NBA in total rebounds last year and the Rockets made the playoffs...so what are you saying. Morey just wanted Howard on his resume.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asik might be a role player on our team, but is a top ten center in the NBA...ergo..big value...Many folks will be surprised at what he brings back.

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Here are my ratings as of this moment in time in their careers:

Asik, Howard

Inside scoring: D-, B
    Midrange shooting: D+, D-
    Passing: D+, C
    Screening/boxing out: A/B-
    Ballhandling/Turnovers: D, C
    Individual defense: A, A
    Pick and roll defense: A, D+
    Intimidation, shot alterations: C+, A+
    Shotblocking: B-, A
    Rebounding: A, A
    Durability/toughness: A, B
    Free throw shooting: C, D

Howard wins 5 out of the 9 categories. Granted, these categories are not weighted, so some are obviously more important than others. But is it a landslide as it might appear to the eye test? Not as much as you might think.

That said, I think Howard is still MVP of this team. The attention he commands offensively and defensively cannot be replaced. This just shows how good and important Asik is as well.

18. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Edit--actually it ends up being tied 5-5 in categories, but again the categories are not weighted.

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

You can't teach hands. If you don't have it 5 or 6 years into a career, then you won't. Asik isn't that guy.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

You're right I would trust Howard more than asik in a game 7 in the 4th to catch that ball & finish on offense

But I trust asik more to get that stop or that rebound in a game 7 in the 4th.