1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Motiejunas and Jones both move out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Who's in?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2013.
  1. Neither Dmo/Jones - We are contenders - No Babies Allowed

22.2%
  2. 1 out of Dmo or Jones - Still room to grow

58.9%
  3. Both Dmo and Jones - I just want to watch the world burn

18.9%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Something I've been saying for awhile now is that only 1 out of the 2 young PFs are likely to be in the rotation. The team has championship aspirations and simply cannot withstand 20%+ of its rotation still learning how to play NBA basketball. Neither of them are good enough currently to contribute positively to winning, so the less they play, the better the team will do. I think the general consensus of the board is coming around to that now, and simply wondering which out of the two will make the rotation.

However, I am wondering now if NEITHER of them should be playing regularly.

Howard and Casspi are likely to take up a big chunk of the time at PF. Both McHale, and Morey today have mentioned how they see Casspi's strength/role is at PF, not SF(another thing I've brought up previously). If Casspi plays 25 MPG and we see 'twin towers' for 10 MPG, that is 35 MPG locked up, and only 13 more to spare.

Would you rather see Dmo/Jones taking up those 13 minutes, or giving that time to Garcia or Brewer, and sliding Parsons to PF?

I'm not sure if everyone has been watching the preseason games so far, or last year's regular season, or the summerleague or Eurobasket. I'm not sure if people are judging Dmo and Jones based on their imagination or what they actually see on the court. Because right now, I would much rather have Garcia/Brewer playing those minutes.

I've mentioned this somewhere else: we are contenders now, the time for development and babying is over.

2 people like this.
  2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If Casspi becomes a starting PF than a PF trade is the most important item on Morey's Agenda.

Last night he proved he is not ready for prime time and I am not talking about his shooting. He will get better but he is a below average PF at best. Off the bench he can focus on Shooting and rebounding and get away with poor defense against the second unit. As a starter he better shoot lights out because he is a major drop off on defense. DMo and TJones or both better defensively

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Agreed that he is below average, but then what does that make Dmo/Jones? Subhuman?

If we make a trade for a PF then this won't even be a topic, because then Dmo/Jones definitely won't sniff the court.

4. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Hard to judge off last night when pretty much everyone but Beverley was still jet-lagged.
    We probably have room for some bench time for one of those two to develop. At least during the regular season.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They will have to play well in order to have some trade value. Both of them need to work hard to get into the rotation. They are limited minute bench players at best.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Mchale needs to stop playing around, this season will be starting soon.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It comes down to:

(a) How effective can Casspi be when his shot isn't falling. Can he defend and rebound against opposing front-lines?

(b) How does the Howard+Asik experiment pan out? If it turns out to be too much of a liability to occupy two front-court positions with players who can't hit jump shot, then that will also yield more opportunity for D-Mo or Jones.

It really is clear that PF is our "weak link". I'm not encouraged by the play of either of those players during the preseason.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Both of your questions need to be comparative rather than absolute.

As in:

Can Casspi defend/rebound better than Jones/Dmo?

and

Is Howard+Asik more of a liability than Jones/Dmo?

Because there is a possibility that even if neither Casspi nor "twin towers" works out, they could still be better than the alternative - Dmo/Jones.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

All 3 guys have proven they are not ready for prime time and are best suited for coming off the bench. A trade is coming. No way Morey leaves a giant hole at PF with this team so close.

10. AXG

AXG Member

If either of them will get minutes, it'd be TJones. He is versatile enough to be a young Horry-esque type player.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There is a lot I disagree with here. I am not going to make a statistical argument here. It is just my opinion.

Howard and Asik are not going to get more than a few minutes a game on the court together. Contrary to what most people believe that lineup is a train wreck on both sides of the floor.

On offense it is obvious. Has there ever been a successful starting lineup featuring two players who were only an offensive threat within 6 feet of the basket? Asik has hands of stone so you just have to have him covered within 8 or so feet from the basket.​

On the defensive side when Howard and Asik are on the floor together every team is going small, fast and mobile. SAS will play Leonard at the PF. IND will play George. And so on. Those players will drive Asik/Howard stupid chasing them around the floor.​

Casspi against many if not most starting power forwards in the league is road kill. Blake, Bosh, Randolf, West, Duncan ... Bad things will happen in those match ups.

This response is long enough. But if you wish I could go on.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This. The reality is that all three are pretty bad right now. On a contender none of the three is even good as a third stringer.

What the Rockets do for the PF spot to address this issue should tell us about what they think their aspirations are.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

At this point in Jones career he and Horry have nothing in common. Absolutely nothing. Now or probably ever.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I assure you management and coaching staff have given up on both and are just hoping one of them can produce a little trade value. These guys are more inconsistent than Marcus Morris, who was traded for a 2nd round pick.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Howard+Asik doesn't have to work, it just has to work better than Jones/Dmo.

Again, Casspi may get abused by starting PFs, but he just has to get abused less than how much Jones/Dmo would get abused.

Casspi is currently a better 1 on 1 defender AND rebounder than Dmo. He is a better team defender than Jones.

Not to mention he is far and away the better player compared to either.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. And what do you base your heartfelt position on? Your extensive knowledge of basketball? Your stellar ability to wring the meaning out of stats? Your baseless uninformed opinion? I vote for the latter.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Dmo + jones for Morris and Morris.
    Let's take the twins for the hell of it

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

McHale will continue to play around the rotation even during regular season. That's his job. Casspi is best coming off the bench. He is shooting happy. He can't start when he's the 5th option. He needs to come off the bench where he is the 2nd or 3rd option.

backcourt rotation is set
    Harden/Lin/Beverley/Garcia

so is SF and C
    Parsons/Garcia and Howard/Asik

big question is PF
    if Asik can play with Howard then everything is perfect
    just start Asik and Casspi as backup

if can't, then Jones will start, if don't workout then will switch to Motiejunas

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Nope. Just know how much people like you love to overrate some of our players. And how seeing neither of these guys have been consistent in a string of games, and still finding themselves competing with nobodies.

Really if you can't separate yourself from Greg smith dmo and casspi at PF, then you're just not gonna happen on this squad.

Secondly, you're the same guy that chirped my thread predicting the western conference standings, then a page later posted your own predictions.
    Keep it up!

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Howard and Asik will never work. Their paint clogging presence will short circuit any possible dribble drive from Harden or Lin. And how many points is that a game? Doesn't Harden get almost all of his nine free throw points a game off of dribble drive penetration? Do you really believe that ... Well I could go on but you can see the direction of my argument.