1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Motiejunas and Jones both move out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Who's in?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2013.
  1. Neither Dmo/Jones - We are contenders - No Babies Allowed

22.2%
  2. 1 out of Dmo or Jones - Still room to grow

58.9%
  3. Both Dmo and Jones - I just want to watch the world burn

18.9%
  1. MONON

MONON Member

I think 1 of TJ/DMo will be involved in a deadline trade. Until then, they will be in the rotation, either by themselves or combined, to see how they develop.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You really have not been playing attention.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

if only nba allowed zone defense so you did not have to play players 1 on 1 then we could avoid asik or howard playing a leonard out on the perimeter.... oh wait we CAN do that .. and howard has enough feet to guard most players inside the paint and destroy them on the boards on the offensive end

4. dje243

dje243 Member

To me you have to start twin towers and bring D-Mo off the bench.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

So do we just throw Casspi down the well?

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Project dmo nomoe.

7. Reach

Reach Member

Then my country can be free.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd be doing him a favor playing him off the bench, he'd be in a better position to score. He's a Delfino/Garcia type player, a bench role backing up SF and maybe playing a little PF is what's best. He's not a starting caliber player and he's not a PF so starting him at PF is setting him up for failure.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know if I speak for anyone else on this board, but I feel compelled to say that you are just too smart for this board, jtr. You should really consider not posting here anymore, because we are all way too dumb to appreciate and understand your wisdom. Why waste your time?? Please consider this strongly - please!!

10. dje243

dje243 Member

No he would fill the Delfino role. Could play the 4 depending on matchups. Basically this is how I view the situation:

Outside of a twin towers situation we have 3 players that play the 4. They are all largely unproven and inconsistent. As much as we would love to believe that preseason performance translates into regular season production that has over time not proven to be the case. So basically it's somewhat of a toss up. But if you look at who has all the physical traits to become the power forward we need the most likely scenario is D-Mo. He's a legit 7 footer, has speed and above average basketball IQ. His defense has gotten better. He seems to understand spacing. He seems to be more than willing to set a good screen or make a pass. The ball rarely sticks when he's in the lineup. His rebounding seems to be average. Ultimately all 3 have skills that you would like to develop... and the only way to do that is to give them playing time. If you could "max out" any player in terms of what they're able to become I would choose D-Mo. Just look at the guys highlights to understand why.

Also you can't teach 7 feet. D-Mo is a rare player these days. He is underrated on this board because we expected him to come into the league and dominate with all the crazy post moves we saw on youtube. But ultimately bigs take a while to develop. But I see improvement. And that is encouraging.

11. dje243

dje243 Member

Also Jones and D-Mo have one freaking year experience in the league. Lets hold up on writing them off just yet.

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

DMO has pleasantly surprised me so far, TJ hasn't. DMo is active, plays good D, scores in the post, rebounds adequately and passes well. However, if he were to be a good starter, his bread and butter should be 3 point shooting and it hasn't been good for him. Lin has visibly improved his 3 point shooting, seemingly turning it to a strength from a weakness; in contrast DMo is still struggling with it, hopefully he could do the same. If that happens, I'd say DMo should start right now.

Casspi just doesn't have the size and athleticism to be a starting 4 in this league. He is definitely good coming off the bench. It's gonna be a huge battle between Casspi, Garcia and Brewer for those few minutes available, all every good players.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

First of all, they are more in win now mode than they are concerned with the future. Secondly, the future isn't jeopardized when you're not moving harden and Howard and parsons and Lin, hell, no mention of bev either, just tjones and dmo. Thirdly, dmo and tjones' future ain't looking too bright.

The line up you want going into a playoff series is haslem or battier over tjones or dmo. I'd bet most gms would agree.

Anyway it's not like haslem is someone I want, but you and your buddy whos agreeing ith you just seem to be delusional about dmo or tjones and their worth.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo is over 7 feet tall and is extremely quick, you do NOT trade those guys, you let them develop.

Did I mention he was also left handed, yeah, he is a keeper.

DD

1 person likes this.
  15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

And why do you say that????

The hate/antipathy for DMO on this board is quite astounding. I don't think he is a perfect player by any stretch of the imagination and maybe he would be better served coming off the bench but the fact that we are having a conversation about 'trashing' DMO after he has had a pretty good preseason, has amazing post moves, is a 7 fter who's game is still evolving and coming off his ROOKIE season, and you guys want to dump him???? WTF??

Give the guy a chance, he has incredible promise and I'm glad none of you haters are the GM. I don't feel like we are even watching the same game?!?! I also think Jones is raw but has some upside and can be a solid contributor. Everyone wants a 3rd star (Aldridge, or Love or bosh) but I'm not sure people are thinking about how that elsusive third star can a) be paid for and not hamstring our salary cap and b) integrate with our other 2/3 stars (including Parsons) and how their role will be seriously diminished since they will only be the 3rd or 4th scoring option?

news flash, we don't need another star, we need a role player, who WANTS to be a systems guy, who WANTS to pass, rebound and do the dirty work and who is OK with giving up shots. Does that sound like Love, Aldridge to you?

Give the young guys a chance we can AFFORD TO DO IT because we have 3-5 other scoring options. Seriously, is everyone taking crazy pills on this board????

1 person likes this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Edit: obviously meant to write "hamstrung" not "Hamstring"

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We don't hate dmo, we just don't think he's a starter. If we had him or jones starting, we automatically have one of the worst starting pfs in the league.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

mchale has to try different lineups. thats the way the team is built right now. there's no lock for pf, and pg has potential for competition. it wont be the end of our championship chances. only put a small dent in our record, at the most.

and fyi, most teams ALWAYS try different lineups when the season starts.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this is one of the resons we keep dmo. too much potential.

btw somethign that goes criminally overlooked, is that he is always ACTIVE on the court. he never just stands around. even when he's in the paint boxing out for a rebound he cant stand still lol jk, tho not really

on p&r defense, he almost always does what he can to stop the dribble penetration. keep him and tell him to bulk up.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sadly enough, these options at PF are so bad i'd be willing to see how howard and greg smith together would work.....gulp..