1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Motiejunas and Jones both move out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 17, 2013.

?

Who's in?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2013.
  1. Neither Dmo/Jones - We are contenders - No Babies Allowed

22.2%
  2. 1 out of Dmo or Jones - Still room to grow

58.9%
  3. Both Dmo and Jones - I just want to watch the world burn

18.9%
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

My demographic is currently "elite NE liberal" who actually had season tickets to the Rockets for years two decades ago. Serious Southern family and upbringing.

I do wrongly get irritated by shallow analysis. The Rockets are going to win the match ups at three or more positions almost every game. And they will win the match up at the center and SG positions by a very large margin. So Morey's game is just not to lose the PF position by a large margin. He has accomplished that. And in today's NBA his priority is to not spend money on the PF spot because he is going to need it to resign Parsons.

Contrary to popular opinion the Rockets are very well staffed at the PF position. Heck they have a seven foot 262 pound PF with a serious low post game. And that PF only needs to hit another three treys per hundred to become relevant from beyond the arc. Coaches drill into their players that you have to challenge a trey if the shooter hits 32%. That skill will propagate to more offensive points than even LMA could generate in the Rockets offense. There are not enough shots to go around. Every shot that is taken by the PF position is one less shot for Harden, Howard ...

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

How can they be "creative" if they are just pulled from the box scores?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are "creative" because they don't agree with the current popular narrative about the PF situation in Houston.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And that is what I am here for. I try to take a look at the facts and bring them to the attention of everybody. I made a great living in corporate America just doing that.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This time I did actually laugh out loud.

For instance, based on the box score, Indiana PF's only played 27 minutes in the game last Sunday. What, was the rest of the game 4 on 5?

Either you're smart enough to know you are bull*****ing us, or you are just a stat parrot.

I guess if you are an elite NE Liberal, it's probably the former.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do understand the implications of the box score. And the other two games cited? Things like that will even out over time. I rely on numbers to do my analysis. You rely on your lying eyes and misguided opinion. Huge difference.

And I did graduate from a private university near downtown Houston summa c*m laude.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Preseason box scores will even out over time? There's only 7 or 8 of them, using significantly different rotations than the regular season.

If you use garbage time numbers to do your analysis, you're going to get garbage results, just like anything else.

That is something to be proud of, but also not relevant.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dmos pnr defense is that god awful slide in front of the dribbler, that leaves his own man with a free path to the basket. It's the technique of the slow plodder, people like Pau Gasol do it because they don't have the lateral speed to do an Ice trap (which Jones can do btw).

And this is one of the reasons i really don't want him as the starter over Jones, it causes Dwight to have to commit too much to helping players with open paths, they're not even corralled, they just get a free path, and whilst he was picking up stupid offensive fouls against indiana, against new orleans, he was picking them up trying to help.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahaha.

By the start of next season I doubt either of these guys will be our starting power forward. They're here now cuz we have no other options.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but I guess the readiest guy will play a lot.

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

So how many shots have the 4s been getting in the preseason? (And, yes, I know it's a small sample size.)

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

My answer is that I really have no idea. I do think only one of DMo/Jones play though. And I think DMo's better as a starter while Jones is definitely a bench player.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

They were also major contributors with clearly defined roles. Guys like Canaan are developmental only at this stage. D-Mo and TJ need defined roles soon. Not sure if TJ has the mental acuity to fit in with way current team is set up. He is a ball stopper still.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Gasol slow plodder body won two NBA championships. I think DMo will end up being ok on D. Would you rather have Jones or Gasol as your starter?

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Another problem is we log a lot of minutes without a natural power forward, and it will increase even more if Asik and Howard find a way to log some minutes together.
    There is really not enough minutes to have both these guys in the rotation; in order to improve one will have to play enough minutes rather than keep rotating them. But their inconsistencies will make it really hard for the coaching staff and management to determine who sucks less.

16. Aleron

I think it'll be easier because they're role players, you're not really looking at who is the better player, moreso who is better at the required skills with players a, b, c, d.

Scoring seems to be the least of the problems with our starting unit.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah that's fair. If you cant get a stud then for sure a complimentary player is the way to go. But when you're looking for the perfect complimentary player that player needs to be really good at a certain thing and not be a total liability at anything (like Ryan Anderson, a pf 3pt shooter (still don't think I'd want him and give up Asik)).

I don't think dmo or tjones fit the description.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I tend to agree, although I'd knock both down a notch on the pecking order - Dmo a bench player and Jones a (stay on the) bench player.

Jones, I just don't see him playing much this year. With Dmo it is more of a toss up, if we play 1 of them, then its him.

Problem with Dmo is that he seems to have a case of the Aaron Brooks syndrome:

Not a terrible player overall, but at times, can get on a roll. And not the good kind. Dribbling the ball off your foot on one end, and getting manhandled on the other. Just a Dominant player(for the other team) at times.

Not sure if you spotted this in the first half of the Orlando game, but Dmo was an impact player in the worst sense.

I prefer my players to be merely ineffective on their bad days, as opposed to HIGHLY effective(for the other team), with the potential to lose you games.

#118 CXbby, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't know if you have ever had to deal with a big time shift let alone two big shifts in a week, but it does make a big difference in your mind and body. Some people adjust easier to these shifts than others, so I wouldn't put to much into the Orlando game one way or another. DMo's first half and Casspi's shooting could have been and affected by the time shift.

20. Aleron

Jones/Dmo is like the Chalmers/Cole rotation, as sad as it is, they both suck for the role they're being considered for (we can call it inexperienced if you like), we all know it, it's almost a case that Jones is better at not being a liability, whereas Dmo has spent 2 games, NO and Orlando playing for the opposition. (I wonder if Miami fans have similar debates) The worst Jones has given us, is not being able to hold off David West in the low block, but then Lebron can't do that either so...

#120 Aleron, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013