ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, pushing Parsons to early free agency suddenly makes sense
Tags:  basketball, chandler parsons, clutchfans, dwight howard, houston rockets, nba Tags
The Cat is offline Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/4721/c...ns-free-agency

Sponsored Link
sammy is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
sammy
Contributing Member
sammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5635
Great read

DorianTurk is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
DorianTurk
DorianTurk is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDorianTurk is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33853
Awesome article man! Keep up the good work

Team Kuya West Productions

Joe Joe is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Joe Joe
Contributing Member
Joe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 1999
Member: #467
I think the Rockets go this route if they can get a third star (or develop one) before June 30, 2014.

Clutch is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Really good job, Ben.

One thing I think will be interesting is that whether it's 2014 or 2015, there are still a lot of games left to be played between now and then. Parsons has to keep a high standard of play going and prove to be a terrific fit around Harden and Howard. I'm sure he will since there are many dimensions to his game, but it's easier for all of us to call him the perfect fit when he's making less than $1 million.

I think Lin is probably the one under the most pressure to prove he's a fit around the star core, but this is a big year for Parsons.

I think if you got Parsons at $7M like you mentioned, that would still be a bargain.

Will be interesting to see the moves that Les approves when luxury tax bills are a factor.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
I'm not sure which approach is better in regards to Parsons. The bottom line is that I want him to be a Rocket for the next 10 years. I trust Morey knows how to deal with this complex situation.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

OlajuwonFan81 is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
OlajuwonFan81
OlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOlajuwonFan81 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Really good job, Ben.

One thing I think will be interesting is that whether it's 2014 or 2015, there are still a lot of games left to be played between now and then. Parsons has to keep a high standard of play going and prove to be a terrific fit around Harden and Howard. I'm sure he will since there are many dimensions to his game, but it's easier for all of us to call him the perfect fit when he's making less than $1 million.

I think Lin is probably the one under the most pressure to prove he's a fit around the star core, but this is a big year for Parsons.

I think if you got Parsons at $7M like you mentioned, that would still be a bargain.

Will be interesting to see the moves that Les approves when luxury tax bills are a factor.
If parsons keeps improving do you really think he'd sign for 7 million per? I highly doubt it. Look at the type of money that was being spent this offseason. Players like Tyreke Evans got 11 million per.

I trade 4 or sign Dwight Howard all day. Everyday.

Clutch is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlajuwonFan81 View Post
If parsons keeps improving do you really think he'd sign for 7 million per? I highly doubt it. Look at the type of money that was being spent this offseason. Players like Tyreke Evans got 11 million per.
Personally I don't think so ... the number I would guess is $9M (but again, we'll see how he plays this year). I would think a Batum-esque contract ($4 year, $46M) is an absolute ceiling and seems high. But you better be a pretty good team offering Parsons that kind of money. He's a good player and could be even better, but not sure I'd want that kind of money tied up unless he was complementing a star or two.

All it takes is one willing to overspend though, as you mentioned with Tyreke.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Raven is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
I'm skeptical that Morey can get LMA without giving up Parsons, but how can the Rockets afford four big contracts and still have enough for a decent bench?

Dwight - max
Harden - max
Aldridge - max
Parson - probably in the neighborhood of ten million a season

Carl Herrera is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Parsons may play well this year and still see his (traditional box score) stats decline. Dwight Howard will command more touches than Omer Asik did and those have to come from somewhere. The team may also be deeper and can rest him for more minutes in the regular season grind.

Morey may not evaluate players this way but they do make a difference in the market, I think. Would be interesting to see how this plays out.

Besides, certain "advanced" numbers like RAPM suggests that Parsons is overall an average NBA player-- perhaps the most average player in the NBA-- and will need to make a major leap before earning close to star salary. But then again, he is The Face of the Franchise and The Free Agent Recruiter...

Carl Herrera is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I'm skeptical that Morey can get LMA without giving up Parsons, but how can the Rockets afford four big contracts and still have enough for a decent bench?

Dwight - max
Harden - max
Aldridge - max
Why would Portland want to pay both Batum and Parsons big $?

rockbox is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrockbox is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
If he makes any kind of jump this year, he will be a 10m a year player.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

JuanValdez is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
JuanValdez
Contributing Member
JuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Member: #35
Even in restricted free agency, I think Parsons has a strong hand for negotiating. While he may be happy to get a pay raise a year early, it's also quite easy for him to take the qualifying offer to run out the restriction and enter unrestricted free agency if he thinks Morey is lowballing him.

The Cat is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlajuwonFan81 View Post
For clarification, my hypothetical $7 million reference was for a possible starting salary. Given raises, my guess is the deal would average closer to $8 million/year. But as Clutch said, a lot will be dependent on how things play out this year and how good of a fit he is with Howard here.

JustAGuy is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
JustAGuy
JustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Even in restricted free agency, I think Parsons has a strong hand for negotiating. While he may be happy to get a pay raise a year early, it's also quite easy for him to take the qualifying offer to run out the restriction and enter unrestricted free agency if he thinks Morey is lowballing him.
He's got the risk of getting injured and losing out on a big payday altogether.

Joe Joe is offline Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Joe Joe
Contributing Member
Joe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJoe Joe is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 1999
Member: #467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Dwight - max
Harden - max
Aldridge - max
Canaan - <1 mil
Covington - <1 mil
Beverley - 1.2 mil
Motijunas - <3 mil
Jones - <3 mil
Garcia - <2
Casspi - <2

That puts you at 11 players at under 68 million for next three seasons with exception of Beverley who only has 2 years left on contract. I'm thinking luxury tax will be up to at least 72 million giving Rockets a little flexibility after a couple of seasons. I do expect they will make the plunge into luxury tax range at some point, but don't know if it will be more than 5-7 million over.

JustAGuy is offline Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
JustAGuy
JustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodJustAGuy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53274
What happens if we get to the Finals *this year*, and all three of Parsons, Asik and Lin are important contributors to that; what does Morey do then?

larsv8 is offline Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
I think it comes down to two names: Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge, and how we acquire them. We heard rumors that Morey was on the verge of acquiring LMA via trade before they were gifted Robin Lopez and apparently decided to give it another shot with their current group. What was involved in that trade is unclear but I tend to believe that it did not involve Parsons. Likely it included Jones, Asik and picks.

If Morey feels he can acquire one of these guys via trade in the next year (and it doesn't include Parsons), I think he lets Chandler hit restricted free agency. If not, I think Lin and Asik play out their contracts, and Morey preserves his cap space for 2015 (Love and LMA both potential free agents), while hoping to sign Parsons afterward, utilizing a very low cap hold and Bird rights.

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

xiki is offline Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
Why would Portland want to pay both Batum and Parsons big $?
Valid point. But, Batum to the 4 in replacement of LMA would make sense. Except - - IMHO LMA is Lin-esque. The wrong fit for the pieces already on roster.

I like Lin; I like LMA (a lot). I think Knight might just fit this squad better and at fewer $s while Aldridge would work, there have to be better options out there.

xiki is offline Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsv8 View Post
We heard rumors that Morey was on the verge of acquiring LMA via trade before they were gifted Robin Lopez and apparently decided to give it another shot with their current group. What was involved in that trade is unclear but I tend to believe that it did not involve Parsons. Likely it included Jones, Asik and picks.
I missed that completely. DM the GM was on the verge with an LMA deal?