1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, pushing Parsons to early free agency suddenly makes sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This point has been made a few times, and I'm going to say this again because it holds no water.

Even if Parsons is angry at the Rockets for lowballing him, he's not stupid enough to choose another team if we are offering him the most money. We are a winning situation; a title contending situation. We have carved out full starters' minutes and built our roster around a guy with his strengths. He fits here. The MOST you can say if Parsons is angry is that he won't give us a hometown discount. SO WHAT?! We will have his Bird Rights in 2015. We can pay him any amount and go over the luxury tax to do it. Les has said he will do this if we are a championship contender, and we should ONLY do it frankly if we are a championship contender.

2. basketballholic

You're right smarty pants. Now make it work by changing the guarantees and signing bonus around. Since you know this well enough to catch it, I'd bet money you know how to design the contract to make it legal.

3. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

No, even if you change the guarantees and signing bonus numbers around, such a drop off would still be illegal. As Larry Coon stated in his FAQ, certain contract structures are just not allowed. In this case, a contract where the drop off between years is one that exceeds the 7.5% birds right limit (without the benefit of jumping a poison-pill/Gilbert Arenas thing) is just not allowed, no matter how much you try to jungle the numbers with the signing bonus or guarantees/partial guarantees. Just like no amount of number jungling or messing with signing bonus/partial guarantees would allow you to have $1M in one year, and $50M in the next.

Basically, your entire premise of using a signing bonus and messing with guarantees to create a frontloaded contract with a dramatically underpriced non-guaranteed last season team option is hogwash. The last year, whether guaranteed or not guaranteed, is still subject to no more than a 7.5% decline.

Signing bonuses are basically just like getting an advance on your future salary, if you consider the total compensation as a pseudo-full salary. There is no cap benefit to using a signing bonus in future years of the contract, since you need to account for it under the cap.

1 person likes this.
  4. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

juggling*, not jungling (sorry, mind stuck on League of Legends junglers, lol)

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I don't see Houston low balling Parsons. Chandlers bee too loyal to the Rockets and he's performed too well. Believe you me, we're gonna do right by Chandler.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why would Morey ever want to acquire either of them? It would take Asik and Lin to approximately match salaries and neither Portland nor the Wolves have any interest in a point guard. Are you willing to give up Parsons??? Love does fit with the Rockets current offensive game plan, but LMA is road kill. Ask me why. I will be glad to give you the gory details. Love cannot be had because MN does not need a center or a point guard. You can dream on, but it is not happening. With the current Rockets lineup all they need from the power forward spot is somewhat below average defense and 35% from beyond the three point land. Why invest ~$15 million a year at that position???

7. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Nice read. I needed something fresh. MAN, I can't wait for the season to start!

8. autoprt

autoprt Member

all i know he is a major piece, when he is on the team goes to another level.

9. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Looks like its not according to plan

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Yeah because Parsons isn't worth the max lol

11. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Why the release one

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Daryl Morey owns restricted free agency

Oh he sure does.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He will be organically growing in Dallas.