ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[Video] Same play? Lin brings ball up to call timeout, Westbrook lunges for a quick steal
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, nba, oklahoma city thunder, patrick beverley, russell westbrook Tags
Clutch is offline Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
What say you guys -- similar play?

I dug this up from the Rockets-Thunder game in November. Rockets down 17 late in the third, Jeremy Lin brings the ball across halfcourt, dribbles to the ref trying to call timeout and Russell Westbrook lunges for a quick steal.

Whistle does not blow until much later, but the timeout intent seems there.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
pippendagimp is online now Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
pippendagimp
pippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchpippendagimp is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post

I dug this up from the Rockets-Thunder game in November. Rockets down 17 late in the third, Jeremy Lin brings the ball across halfcourt, dribbles to the ref trying to call timeout and Russell Westbrook lunges for a quick steal.

in the eyes of barkley, it's not a similar play b/c lin is not a superstar like westbrook and therefore doesn't deserve to be treated with white gloves on the court

mig0s is offline Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
mig0s
mig0s is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmig0s is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30524
Quote:

Good point clutch. The timeout intent wasn't as obvious as the Thunder's one where Bev went for the steal but indeed it was there. I've seen people do it numerous times. Not a dirty play at all.

In Morey we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstain
Please don't have discriminations on me even though I'm really a little bit retarded .I mean , lower intelligence doesn't mean lower love for the Rockets .

Carl Herrera is offline Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Both of them are steal attempts before a timeout. I think the difference is that Westbrook's attempt came right when Lin went across the half-court line and Lin was still at full attention and thus saw Westbrook coming and could protect both his body and the ball while Beverley's attempt came right at the moment the whistle was blown when Westbrook was beginning to relax and wsan't expecting Beverley's body to fly across.

Dgn1 is offline Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Dgn1
Dgn1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDgn1 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50687
Quote:

Clutch with the smoking gun. This happens all the time.

BE4RD is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
BE4RD
BE4RD is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBE4RD is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #55029
Quote:

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

imaginedragons is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
imaginedragons
imaginedragons is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #54233
Quote:

same play. the only reason the time out was called a few seconds later was that Lin saw Westbrook lunging and wanted to make sure the ball was protected first but it was obvious after crossing mid court that he was going to call time out.

great video. no excuse for Westbrook to seethe at Beverly if he does the same thing on occasion

BEAT LA is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
BEAT LA
Contributing Member
BEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43559
It's the same play except Westbrook is a SG playing point and he was not quick enough to counter the steal.

Horry4theWin is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Horry4theWin
Horry4theWin is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49932

pnr is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
pnr
pnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51940
Westbrook used his leg to try to fend off Bev it seemed but that just did more damage. Lin did more of a pivot. Anyone saying Bev's play was dirty is just butthurt and an OKC fan.

BEAT LA is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
BEAT LA
Contributing Member
BEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horry4theWin View Post
This is dirty.

hooroo is online now Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
hooroo
hooroo is Omer Asik -- working the boardshooroo is Omer Asik -- working the boardshooroo is Omer Asik -- working the boardshooroo is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14431
The only difference here is how Lin did not try to get the last word in by attempting to stick his knee into Westbrook's back.

gate470 is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
gate470
Rookie
gate470 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53338
No, they're not the same.

Zboy is online now Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Zboy
Contributing Member
Zboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6676
Any idea if Derek Fisher has asked the OKC management to release him because of "family reasons"?

swyyyguy is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
swyyyguy
swyyyguy is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineswyyyguy is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineswyyyguy is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29829
i don't think the video clutch posted is dirty at all. the whistle wasn't blown at all so i have no problem with westbrook doing what he did.

i don't have a problem with what beverley did in game 2 either but if anything, the video clutch posted isn't close IMO.

HOUSTON ASTROS

u mirin' brah?

BEAT LA is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
BEAT LA
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gate470 View Post
No, they're not the same.
It's the same exact lunge for the ball. You don't stop playing until you hear the whistle. Westbrook is too big to play PG and reacted stupid.

rocketsfan4 is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
rocketsfan4
rocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrocketsfan4 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50010
Clutch is on the money. Westbrook was every bit as aggressive as Beverly was. Hooroo is also correct that Westbrook may have actually caused his own injury.

kwongadong is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
kwongadong
kwongadong is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8760
Same play. Westbrook just got lazy on Wednesday and didn't see Bev. Play to the whistle.

BEAT LA is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
BEAT LA
Contributing Member
If Thunder fans/fake fans want someone to blame then blame the officials for taking forever to blow the whistle.

If Beverley stops playing and Westbrook drives in for a wide open dunk then it's the same thing. You don't stop until you hear the whistle blown.

hocash is offline Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
hocash
Contributing Member
hocash is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53540
No one is arguing that going for the steal by itself is dirty or reckless. It's how you go for it. WB is going 2/3 speed there...not full bore when he has no angle.
But yeah if Lin gets hurt there we'd all be pissed. Just a silly play.