1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New McHale Interview: "Recharge your batteries?!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

new interview with McHale

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2013/03/12/ZOOM0006MOV-2411440

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/8WUtnGvGsOsD?autoPlay=false&params=zone%3Drockets" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

"Recharge your battery? Every morning you should get up and get on your knees and thank God that you're playing basketball for a living."

"Aaron's actually had two good practices, looked really good."

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^Ha, was waiting for someone to post today's interview. Quickly caught it earlier today, and yeah, he was ranting about "re-charging your battery". Worth a listen. ;)

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coach McHale channeling his inner JVG; love it!

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

Love the first quote. this is precisely what's been missing in today's NBA. Skill development aside, I'd be happy if the players adopt this attitude about the game.

5. zoids

zoids Member

McFail is all about blaming others, look at his pathetic record on recognizing talents and in his previous short stint coach job.

If the coach is doing a horseshxt job, you think the fans have to tell you?

We are the boss afterall, we are the one paying tickets and watching the games on TV and buying jerseys.

Why he always gets it completely wrong? :mad:

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Omer) He didn't feel good today. Omer is a pretty diligent worker. If he doesn't feel good, I'm a little concerned.

If he's limited at all...

We'll find out tomorrow.

What's been the intensity like in practices the last few days?

It's been pretty good. You know, it better be. We're fighting for our playoff lives. You better have a sense of urgency. There is 18 games left. We had 2 good days of practice. Now you gotta carry over to tomorrow.

With additions to your roster and different things, how interested are you in back to back workouts?

Good to have practices. You'd like to honestly have more time. You don't. It's during the season. As I've said all year, our guys will grow but they aren't 5, 6, 7 year vets that you're bringing and saying within in a week, they'll be acclimated. We're bringing in rookies and first year players. There is an acclimation process that is normal then your compounding that by a new system and stuff. A lot different.

How is Aaron adjusting?

Aaron has had 2 good practices.

Growing pains for a young group?

Not sure what you call it but it's painful.

When you have 2 days of practice like this, how much of it is just physically and mentally recharging the battery?

I don't know. I guess I'm way too old. You're playing basketball for a living. Recharge your batteries? Every morning you should get up and get on your knees and thank God that you're playing basketball for a living. Someone is actually paying you, in some cases millions and millions, in other cases hundreds of thousands at the minimum to play basketball. If you have to recharge your battery to play basketball, I understand recharging my battery that I've done three double shifts, I'm laying cement, and I come home. I understand that. I don't understand that, recharge your battery for what? To be able to come out here and play basketball for a living? If we have to do that, you're in the wrong sport, you're doing the wrong thing. This is a high energy game that requires total commitment but it's a joy to play. It's fun.

#6 J.R., Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

GOLDEN.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One of the most epic things I've ever heard a coach say. I'm going to steal this for my sig.

9. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Hate to bring up anything Spurs related but I see a lot of Pop in McHale when he interviews.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Splitting this out into a new thread since I think it may have gotten lost. I also included the CSN video (which is embeddable) of the McHale answer in the original post.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My respect for McHale just skyrocketed after this quote.
    He's no offensive playcalling master like Rick Adelman but he's definitely got the right attitude for the job.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

laying it down old school I like it. This is why I like Mchale he is no nonsense. Who do you haters want btw? Phil jackson? avery johnson?
    SCREW ALL YOU HATERS. MCHALE IS YOUR DADDY.

13. houtown

houtown Member

I dont know how you can disagree with McHale on that one,

14. Little General

Why don't he just call a player out?
    Everyone is speculating about who he is talking about every damn day.
    Get it over with and then we can all move on.

15. pho

pho Member

Seeing McHale's attitude the past few days really shifts the blame I had on him to the players. The players aren't hustling, and I understand why he's pissed.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

If McHale also placed the blame on himself from time to time, he'd have the perfect demeanor, but he doesn't, and I think it may rub the players the wrong way eventually (or even right now)...

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well we aren't the number 1 seed in the west and he never says "it's on me" so he has to go. Mcfail mcfail mcfail.

- genius armchair NBA experts of clutchfans

18. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

McHale's an idiot. Yeah your team is gonna get exhausted when you bench your power forwards every game.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Our PFs are in SAC and PHX.

2 people like this.
  20. Ultimate6thMan

Of course McHale never makes McStakes, so it's all on the players and their fault when we don't win!