1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New McHale Interview: "Recharge your batteries?!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Mar 12, 2013.

1. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

"Yeah, what NBA coach isn't enthralled to have a bunch of 23 year olds to coach? ???? Oh wait... That's right: No coach in the ****ing league wants a young roster. "

Good, then he can ****ing quit and do the team a favor

And Lol @ "developing" Parsons, maybe the guy is just talented?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok, and Lin sucking the next game and the one after that is HIS fault though right? :rolleyes:

3. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

im pretty much saying that the players on this team got us where we're at. and you're pretty much saying the opposite, crediting the coach for the success. then you go and use how successful this team is as an argument. shouldn't your argument be about WHY the coach is the reason for the team's current success? lmfao! what a moron.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

LosPollosHermanos is right: MrSabotage implies that a player's "development" is not affected by his coach (e.g. Lin-McHale). Glad we don't have to hear any more whinging about that.

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

LMFAO. I thought u left?

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would like to apologize

Well, that didn't last long.

4 people like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dear god :eek: I don't think I can GIF this ownage.

8. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You really need to let it go already. It will clog your pipes and that can't be healthy. :grin:

Back on topic, this was my absolute favorite McHale interview yet. And he's had some good ones. And you can tell, all the Rockets buy in, even though they hemmed and hawed a bit when asked about McHale.

McHale's not a perfect coach, but he is the undisputed leader of this team.

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I doubt it. He went to Harvard after all.

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

SMH at some of the responses in this thread. McSuccess's statement would be relevant if the players were actually some boneheaded lazy guys, like those guys in Sactown, Detroit and even Phoenix. McSuccess is basically saying that his players don't care enough and are trying to find excuses. What do you want to believe? That the players are really lazy, selfish guys? Or that they are simply burnt out from playing at the fastest pace in the NBA with a reduced rotation? At first it was Lin, then the four non-rebounding players and now it's the whole team thrown completely under the bus. McSuccess is going to lose his locker room if he continues with those shenanigans.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know you're trying to blast McHale, but what you're saying only support McHale.

There are two possibilities here.

1. McHale is correct and his team is lazy and boneheaded as our TO rate and defensive lapses suggest. If so, then he should blast them for being such players. Hence, McHale is right.

2. Your statements are correct, and that the Rockets players are playing at their 100%, to the best of their ability each game. If so, then this means McHale's methods are still correct, because the job of the coach is to have his players play hard. And whatever McHale's methods have been, they have been successful and therefore should continue to be used.

My layman's opinion? Our players slack of on defense way too much. EVERYONE except Asik and maybe Beverley does this, including Lin, Harden, Parsons, everyone. It's the same thing I saw in the last year of Adelman's team here, where you could tell players were mailing it in on defense. I see the same thing here.

13. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

just a fyi that was a hochen questions...he really get riled up by asians!!!

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Howard Chen is much better doing this kind of reporting than reading in-game corny tweets.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Anybody who thinks Adelman or Jackson or JVG would be doing better with this group of young guys is stupid.

People like Rudy T now , but I remember all the grousing about how he was not as smart as Coach X, Y, and Z on his X's and 0's. Now he is revered.

I think the same thing may very well happen with McHale.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

With regards to Rudy T, you are correct. He had great rapport with his players but was never that good at X's and O's, but I doubt McHale has the same respect and admiration from his players that Rudy got as a coach. McHale is respected because of what he did as a player and how he knows the big man game. He is also heavily involved emotionally and cares about losses, just like Rudy.

However, their approach is way different and Rudy took credit and always talked about WE. McHale (and also Adelman) tend to speak of the players have to do this, players have to do that as if they've tried enough as a coach. It's up to them and not US which makes a huge difference. Rudy was very frustrating after the golden years, especially with the Francis-Mobley duo when he seemed to be unable to have any other strategy than give it to them and go. Kind of similar to Lin-Harden now.

Truth of the matter is though that Rudy did a great job with Yao in his first year, but we would've never won another championship with him and JVG was the right man for the job. McHale is also doing a good job with this young group, but similar to Rudy, he's not going to bring you a championship unless we get lucky and find some players with clutch genes + a dominant center + a strong rebounding PF who can bring it home.

Rudy maximized the talent he had and started to use Olajuwon more than Chaney. The strategy of going through Dream and having 3/4 shooters to launch it was brilliant and he also shaped up our defense. McHale is not maximizing the talent he has yet, though he does seem to get most of some players and the strategy of run and gun with these youngsters is more Morey than Kevin. We'll see what he can do in the long run, we just going to have to be patient. I am very impatient so that's why I rant and rave a lot about getting rid of McHale, but I did the same with Adelman and he did great so it's 90% emotional when people say they want him gone or think another coach can do better. Everybody is praising Kevin so he's doing fine.

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This forum as currently constituted would have despised JVG. Absolutely hated the guy. The "FIRE GUNDY" thread would have reached 1,000 pages by the ASB.

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

One of those threads I just shake my head at.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Red Dynasty horny for the ban hammer.

20. andersongo

andersongo Member

Reverse psychology can only take you so far. More often that not, it results in the targeted people getting pissed off. Whether the Roxs are burnt out is I think by now not up for debate. Energy levels have been dropping since before the ASB and the players are being forced to play against set defenses, something they have not been doing consistently up to now because they are apparently not "talented" enough to run McSuccess's earth-shattering plays. The intelligent thing to do when your players can't push up the pace anymore is to adjust, bring down the pace and try to predominantly run plays in the half-court (although it is quite late in the season to reverse course). Instead, McSuccess doubles down along a blind alley, demanding energy when there is none left.
    Defense? The inadequacies you are seeing on defense have been here since the start of the season. Harden playing matador D, Parsons ball-watching, Lin over-helping and our PF not rebounding have been fixtures up to now. The reason that McSuccess is crying about it now is that the offense has sputtered, if he was so pissed about it, why did he not do something to correct it like any good coach would do? Where is the accountability? Where are the adjustments?