ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""
Tags:  basketball, houston, houston rockets, kevin mchale, nba, nets, shooting Tags
Lucky Charm is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Lucky Charm
Lucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineLucky Charm is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52488
The Houston coach calls his playmaker “a home run hitter,” and doesn’t mean that in a good way.

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

Sauce

We need more Lin threads 'round here
Seriously though, this comment was made by Coach McHale stood out and I want to know what you guys make of it.
This comment comes the day after the win over OKC when Jeremy got 29pts on 22 shots (most taken on the team).
Do you guys think he shoots too much?

Is this why he's hesitant to keep shooting even when he's got his shot going, trying to focus more on playmaking? I personally find it frustrating (no, not because I want my "precious" Lin to get his points) but I know that's his game, in NY he was very unselfish but you better believe he was always looking for his own shot

I don't know, Coach McHale confuses me.

Sponsored Link
Sydeffect is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Sydeffect
Sydeffect is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSydeffect is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSydeffect is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSydeffect is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSydeffect is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2010
Member: #47064
Now everyone is going to hate on Mchale for being hard on Lin. Pop did the same thing with Parker throughout his career and now look at him.

An Optimist...Usually

FearTheBeardJH is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
FearTheBeardJH
FearTheBeardJH is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52759
He is either has to shoot better or less. 52 TS% isn't going to cut it, especially when you have such an efficient teammates.

iconoclastic is online now Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
Confirms what perceptive Rockets fans have seen all along and what LOH brush off as ramblings by LOF, that McHale is telling Lin not to play his aggressive style of game and instead play a Derek Fisher role.

rockbox is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
Its not about shooting. Its about decision making. Sometimes Lin makes dumb decisions. He dribbles into a crowd of people with nowhere to go and picks up his dribble.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis...ith+statistics

joesr is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
joesr
joesr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finejoesr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Charm View Post
The Houston coach calls his playmaker “a home run hitter,” and doesn’t mean that in a good way.

“Sometimes he’d rather have 29 points and nine turnovers and I tell him, ‘Jeremy, we’re trying to win,’ ” McHale said.

Sauce

Seriously though, this comment was made by Coach McHale stood out and I want to know what you guys make of it.
This comment comes the day after the win over OKC when Jeremy got 29pts on 22 shots (most taken on the team).

Is this why he's hesitant to keep shooting even when he's got his shot going, trying to focus more on playmaking? I personally find it frustrating (no, not because I want my "precious" Lin to get his points) but I know that's his game, in NY he was very unselfish but you better believe he was always looking for his own shot

dont understand why this confuses you....

MyPlayer on NextGen, please change 'The Park' method of multi-player.

YaoMac09 is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
YaoMac09
YaoMac09 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodYaoMac09 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34047
Should aim for 29 points and 3-4 turnovers!

#1 Priority = Hire an exorcist
#2 Priority = Burn everything Juwan Howard touched/wore while he was with the Rockets

hocash is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
hocash
Contributing Member
hocash is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53540
Quote:

I don't think McHale understands that most turnovers on "home run" plays are just like a missed shot. Old school guys can't get around that concept. Turning it over in the backcourt, though, is awful since it usually leads to a high % shot for the other team.
Getting your teammate a 100% FG attempt followed by a turnover is the same as getting your teammate 2 50% looks.
Ultimately of course the good PGs get those home run plays and limit their turnovers. But the idea you don't turn it over and play safe isn't sound.

TC777JLIN168 is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
TC777JLIN168
TC777JLIN168 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Sep 2012
Member: #52245
Quote:

Sauce

WTF with 9 TO's - where did that come from? The most Lin ever had in a game was 7 and the Knicks won. Those two do not conflict with each other. I am confused by McHale too.

TC777JLIN168 is offline Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
TC777JLIN168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC777JLIN168 View Post
WTF with 9 TO's - where did that come from? The most Lin ever had in a game was 7 and the Knicks won. Those two do not conflict with each other. I am confused by McHale too.
*Not including that infamous Miami game that is.

dharocks is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
dharocks
Contributing Member
dharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12819
I wonder if by home run plays McHale's referring to those full court football passes that Jeremy never connects on.

OremLK is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBeardJH View Post
He is either has to shoot better or less. 52 TS% isn't going to cut it, especially when you have such an efficient teammates.
52% true shooting percentage isn't bad at all. It's not great but it's certainly not to the point where you're saying "shoot less".

HMMMHMM is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
Its not about shooting. Its about decision making. Sometimes Lin makes dumb decisions. He dribbles into a crowd of people with nowhere to go and picks up his dribble.
This.

Context is key here. McHale made those comments after the Nets game, in the context of Lin being "a home run hitter".
McHale isn't accusing Lin of actually being selfish, but rather being too careless.

I already commented on this in the Fire McHale thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Ball movement and execution was an issue last night and you could see/hear McHale asking his players multiple times to stop forcing the issue and move the ball.

Just after he did McHale again had voiced his displeasure with the lack off ball-movement, Lin and Parsons again tried to make things happen on their own, resulting in back-to-back turnover.
McHale subsequently took them out, subbing in Beverley and Anderson.

Lin didn't have a good game at all and there's nothing wrong with McHale's criticism of Lin. It's totally fair. There's a fine line between being aggressive and being careless.
Lin was careless last night and generally has a tendency to be so.
Obviously you want him to be aggressive and attack, but he has to learn to be more opportunistic.

Now, whether or not you want McHale to be as frank about it is another story, though I for one think Lin is secure enough in himself to take it. Obviously, that's just an opinion and you can feel free to disagree.

SuperStar is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
SuperStar
SuperStar is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodSuperStar is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jan 2008
Member: #29917
Quote:
You were hungry while making this thread o_O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockieGuy09
What's your obsession with brains?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveFox View Post
i am a young artist men

pnr is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
pnr
pnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodpnr is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51940
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharocks View Post
I wonder if by home run plays McHale's referring to those full court football passes that Jeremy never connects on.
Uh.. Exaggeration much.. Those passes are usually 50 50 and if successful
Is basically a 90% guaranteed shot. He needs to keep making those passes.

BleedRed is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
BleedRed
BleedRed is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39327
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclastic View Post
Confirms what perceptive Rockets fans have seen all along and what LOH brush off as ramblings by LOF, that McHale is telling Lin not to play his aggressive style of game and instead play a Derek Fisher role.
Right, why did we get Lin again??? Dude was never a spot up shooter

FearTheBeardJH is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
FearTheBeardJH
FearTheBeardJH is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52759
Quote:
Originally Posted by OremLK View Post
52% true shooting percentage isn't bad at all. It's not great but it's certainly not to the point where you're saying "shoot less".
It's not terrible, but it is the point where you say shoot less, because it's below league average.

BleedRed is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
BleedRed
I always gave Mcfail and Sampson the benefit of the doubt but after this comment, I think we should just trade Lin. He will never be used the right way in this team.

TC777JLIN168 is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
TC777JLIN168
Illness or not, I think McHale's comment has a lot more to do with Lin's performance in the last two games.

BleedRed is offline Old 02-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
BleedRed
Lin needs to do throw some tantrum like Lowry and get himself traded. Better for both rockets and for Lin.