1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I think by home run plays McHale just means hero ball. Don't try to force the issue and turn the ball over instead make the extra pass or take an open shot (rather than contested) (singles, doubles). James Harden is the home run ball/hero ball because he can do it more efficiently on most nights.

2. Good Times

Good Times Member

I don't like how Mchale wants players to change their game to fit into his ideal system. A good coach learns how to use the strengths of his players.

I want to see Lin drive and make plays rather than having him sit in a corner waiting to launch a 3. And come on now, do you really want Delfino at PF just because Mchale wants a 3pt shooting PF?

Mchale has this ideal system that he wants but he doesn't have the right players. Rather than adapt to his players and use them to their advantage he forces them to change into what he envisions as ideal for his system.

3. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Harden had more possessions and went to the line 10 more times.

1 person likes this.
  4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

See post #13.

5. Akim523

Akim523 Member

He actually connects them quite often.

6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

This weak argument needs to go. Pop goes off on everybody including Duncan, you see McHale go off on Harden ever?? PLus the only reason he's effective is because by the time Parker showed up Pop already had a ring...what has McHale ever done in his coaching career?

D'Antoni is throwing his hands up all the time in LA, how's that working out?

1 person likes this.
  7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

How is it better for the rockets? We would be down to Beverley as our only PG and I doubt we get a good PG in return for Lin (better than him)

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Dude is calling Lin selfish straight up, by referencing that lin would rather score 29 points at the expense of TO. End of story, no ifs and buts.

9. trock

trock Member

What I don't like about the comment (other than the exaggeration on TOs to make a point) is the implication that Lin's about getting his numbers over winning. It actually seems the complete opposite.

10. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Long term, we can get Felton type pg (but younger and faster) or someone who has the right skill set for what mchale wants from his pg.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He didn't mean literally 9 TOs, he just meant he'd rather score a lot of points with a lot of TOs. And by the way it's quoted I think Lin is the one that says he would rather have that, it's not Mchale saying those numbers. So there's no reason for the stats to "confuse" you

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I can't believe McHale actually said that, that's one truly ****ed up comment towards any of your players. As a coach you are calling a player out for being selfish and only care about his own stats.

I've defended McHale plenty of times, but this is just wrong.

1 person likes this.
  13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Actually, it's pretty widely known how harsh Pops was when it came to Tony Parker. Pops picked on Parker more than any other player on the team.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a good analogy.

Popovich was very hard on Parker early in his career. An aggressive, fast PG who dribbles into trouble a lot needs a whip. You don't want to change him too much, but you have to make it clear that control is required of the position.

People saying McHale is trying to turn Lin into Fisher are misguided. He is trying to turn him into Parker, except Ginobili is playing 39 minutes...so Parker must give up control of the offense in bunches.

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Makes sense that we could get someone at fits better, like a good 3P shooter (kinda like Douglas was-not a good PG but shot the three well). I'd rather keep Lin though.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL not going to cut it? Based on what? Westbrook is at 52.7% and OKC is the best team in the West. Joe Johnson is even lower than Lin and the Nets are streaking. Paul George it at 53.7% as the #1 guy and the Pacers are killing it.

WHat %age would be cutting it and what would you even base that on?? It's a weak argument and weak stat. Freaking Tiago Splitter, Jose Calderon, Danny Green and JJ Hickson are top 10 in the league in TS%. Calderon is rotting away and the other 3 are role players.

1 person likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

Lin doesn't seem like the type to care if he scores 10 or 30 in a victory. Mchale just doesn't like the fact that lex industries and Morrrie gave him lin, when he trusted gogi. Nothing wrong with that.

I would like it if Mchale was equally hard on anybody that keeps turning the ball over trying to force things when they aren't there. People bring up Pop, saying that if parker can take it so can lin. The thing is.. pop will go off on timmy or manu just as hard. that's coaching democratically.

18. philchips

philchips Member

Mchale is a joke of a coach.who will not be here at the end of the season anyway. Lin has been excellent with his to's this year, has played off the ball, has reduced ball handling, reduced shots and at times reduced minutes. I believe he is handling it very well and is doing everything asked of him. Now mchale has questionable rotations, benchings, strategy, play calling, leadership and to everyones benefit they haven't said anything about mchale. Your shorthanded and jeremy plays with the flu but you still feel to come out with this comment. What a clueless coach who never takes blame for anything!

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thats different. What happens on the court stays on the court, has Pop ever made any remarks about Tony Parker's issues openly?

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

what? did you read what I posted? I never said he didn't pick on Parker.