Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal
anthony1604 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
anthony1604
anthony1604 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28273
http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/08/j...-trade-offers/

Quote:
The Atlanta Hawks are entertaining trade offers around the league for forward Josh Smith, but have yet to decide whether they will deal the ninth-year forward, according to league sources.

The Hawks met with Smith's representatives this week, at which point the team indicated it was not willing to give Smith a max contract after this season, according to a source.

Smith, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution late last month that he believes he's a max player, which would mean he'd be in line for a five-year deal worth around $94 million from Atlanta.

But the Hawks, which expect to be major players next summer in free agency or through trades, do not want to tie up that kind of money going forward.

Smith, according to a source, is prepared to move on. He has been one of the most enigmatic players in the Hawks' history, capable of incredible feats at both ends of the floor—as evidenced by his 23-point, 16-rebound performance against the Bulls in the 2011 playoffs—but also capable of driving coaches and fans crazy with his decision-making. Last month he was suspended by the team for a game for "conduct detrimental to the team," after a run-in at practice with Coach Larry Drew.

Yet the Hawks have not formally decided to trade the 27-year-old Smith, who leads Atlanta in scoring and blocked shots, and is second in rebounds and assists. Team president of basketball operations and general manager Danny Ferry is in fact-finding mode now, seeing what the market is for Smith.

The website Hoopsworld reported earlier this week that the Suns had had exploratory talks with Atlanta about Smith.

If the Hawks hold onto Smith for the rest of this season, they could still trade him this summer in a sign-and-trade deal. However, the market for such trades will begin to narrow; teams $4 million or more above the luxury tax threshold, or that would become $4 million or more above the threshold by making a trade, will be prohibited from doing sign and trade deals.

The Hawks traded for signed for eight players on the last year of their contracts this summer. Five of those players came from the Nets in the deal that sent Joe Johnson to Brooklyn last July. They can clear more than $30 million in cap room by just letting those deals expire; only Al Horford and guards Lou Williams and John Jenkins are under contract for next season.

If the Hawks let Smith walk without taking any salary back, they'd be able to clear more than $40 million off their cap.

The Hawks could be a player for free agents like Dwight Howard, who is from Atlanta, or guard Chris Paul, who famously was skipped over by the Hawks in the 2005 Draft in favor of forward Marvin Williams, taken with the second pick overall that year. But if they find they can't attract a premier free agent, they might still be able to deal Smith in a sign-and-trade for an impact player under contract similar to that which they might find in free agency.
any chance Morey pulls the gun and goes after him???

Sponsored Link
cheke64 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
cheke64
cheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42238
I'll take a one-year rental experiment.

Morris, Patterson, Aldrich and thats it

713 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points713 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2011
Member: #48858

Carl Herrera is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1604 View Post
any chance Morey pulls the gun and goes after him???

don grahamleone is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
don grahamleone
Contributing Member
don grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdon grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdon grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdon grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdon grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdon grahamleone is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #3034
Yes Way,:

Raven is online now Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
I. Am. Intrigued.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

Aruba77 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Aruba77
Contributing Member
Aruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereAruba77 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 1999
Member: #589
amazing player to get for a playoff run, but it all depends on what Ferry is asking for him. We have to assume that Morey isn't interested in maxing him out, but some other team will, so it's all about what we'd have to give up for a half a season rental. That said, if another team maxes him out this offseason, his bird-right will be worth something, so we'd be in position to recoup some of what we'd be giving up to get him. I'd be excited if it worked out. He'd be an excellent fit for our team ...assuming we could reign in his terrible 3-pt shooting.

Gil is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Gil
Gil is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGil is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #52062
There's a reason Hawks aren't offering him the max.

cml750 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
cml750
Contributing Member
cml750 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecml750 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecml750 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
There's a reason Hawks aren't offering him the max.
This!!! He is not worth it!!!!

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me
Philippians 4:13

Arthurprescott2 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Arthurprescott2
Arthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArthurprescott2 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51824
I've yet to hear a coherent argument for Smith though I've heard numerous arguments against Smith.

Smith fans: make the argument for why HOU should allow Smith to mess up the cap and/or why HOU should give up assets for him.

I no longer have to watch RGV games to see DMo!!!

The Cat is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurprescott2 View Post
I've yet to hear a coherent argument for Smith though I've heard numerous arguments against Smith.

Smith fans: make the argument for why HOU should allow Smith to mess up the cap and/or why HOU should give up assets for him.
His contract expires after this year, and I'm fairly confident Morey isn't giving a max deal to him. So it's not going to significantly hamper the cap or our ability to go after Dwight.

Basically, it comes down to what Aruba77 said -- is using Smith as a half-season rental and whatever costs we could recoup this summer (S&T) worth the assets we'd have to give up? I'd say it's unlikely. Atlanta is a playoff team themselves, and even if they know they aren't going to re-sign him this summer, they'd probably hold tight and see what happens later rather than go for a Patterson/Morris/Aldrich type deal.

But, if they're desperate to quickly turn the page and/or have a fascination with a young player of ours that we don't particularly value... I think there's a pretty clear case that Smith would be a great fit on this year's team. Probably won't work out, but under the right circumstances, he's a fit.

SupeR2706 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
SupeR2706
SupeR2706 is Royce White -- lots of promise, bad first impression
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47502
Eff Howard and Eff Smith... LEBRON IN 2014 baby!!!

Joe Joe is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Joe Joe
Contributing Member
Joe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJoe Joe is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 1999
Member: #467
Don't know exactly what he is worth, but

He runs floor
Plays defense
Rebounds

J.R. is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
J.R.
Contributing Member
J.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32628
PASS. PASS. PASS. and PASS again.

davestrate is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
davestrate
davestrate is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #31275
All in- once he's here perhaps he and Howard can work something out ala Bosh/James to sign for less.

All the better superstars in the past decade have been drafted out of hs we'd have our two who also happen to be friends.

JayZ750 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1604 View Post
capable of incredible feats at both ends of the floor—as evidenced by his 23-point, 16-rebound performance against the Bulls in the 2011 playoffs
I lol'd at this. Apparently 23 and 16 in the playoffs is just incredible!

Samdogg36 is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Samdogg36
Samdogg36 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50023
He can add much needed defense and would be perfect fit for our fast style of play. It all comes down to is that what we need most. That or a post player (which we obviously need)...tough call

Raven is online now Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupeR2706 View Post
Eff Howard and Eff Smith... LEBRON IN 2014 baby!!!
LeDiva would be more likely to join Dwight in LA as Kobe is shoved out the door.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...sg=T+E+X+A+N+S

OremLK is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurprescott2 View Post

I don't count myself a "Smith fan", but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rockets uniform... at the right price.

He's a definite upgrade over what we've got. He'd instantly be the most athletic player on our team. He blocks shots and rebounds at a higher rate than our PFs. He plays better D. He has a better PnR game. By staggering his minutes with Asik we could always have somebody in the game capable of blocking shots.

He would be a significant upgrade at least in the short term. But he's not worth a max contract, especially if the Rockets have to give up legit assets like D-Mo/Jones/etc.

LonghornFan is offline Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
LonghornFan
Contributing Member
LonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe View Post
Don't know exactly what he is worth, but

He runs floor
Plays defense
Rebounds
He throws up airballs, shoots too much, doesn't keep mentally focused. I love the guy if I were drafting for fantasy basketball, just not a fan of giving him max dollars, at all.