1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks taking trade offers for forward Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anthony1604, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Arthurprescott2

Smith is shooting 44.8% overall and 30.6% from 3.

While he finishes 75.1% of the time at the rim (166/221), Smith is only shooting 28.8% from 16 ft to 3pt line (49/170) and 35.4% from 3 ft to 9 ft (57/161).

He's not a post player. He's not a floor spacer.

He's an above average rebounder, excellent help defender and great weakside shot blocker, who runs the floor well, BUT he loves taking jumpers and can't kick that habit.

Defensively - Smith fits this team perfectly.
    Offensively - Smith is a nightmare.

Unless Morey works in a clause that says he gets fined $10,000 for every long 2, I don't think Smith fits on this team.

1 person likes this.
  2. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Until Josh Smith learns to behave and recognize he's nowhere near superstar status. I don't want him on the team creating trouble and damage team chemistry.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well, we may see Morey's honest opinion of our stock of power forwards.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

What argument needs to be made? Have you watched him play? He's a stud but someone who needs to be no 2 to a legit no 1.

I wouldn't give up any of our core but I'd let Patterson and anyone on the bench go in a heartbeat. If he shows what he can do this season then he deserves the contract he'll get. If he doesn't perform then let him walk. It's all upside with little downside unless you have to give up Parsons or similar talent.

...unless Morey doesn't think its a bad idea then I'm against it.

5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I meant...unless Morey thinks it's a bad idea then I'm against it. :)

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you were trying to build a big 3, then yeah this guy would be close to that 3rd impact guy. Like Bosh, Like Allen, a guy you don't have to rely on every night but when he's on he's going to be the big x-factor.

Had the Rockets already had say Dwight Howard/James Harden...Josh would be a good guy to go along with those two especially since he wouldn't clog the paint for Harden or Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  7. SK34

SK34 Member

Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs. I'd rent him for 2nd half of the season. Imagine Lin, Harden, Parsons, Smith, Asik..

We have defense in Lin, Smith, Asik.
    Great front court and backcourt.
    We drastically improve our rebounding.
    Offensively, Harden (one on one), Lin and Harden pick and role with Smith.
    Parsons will just be Parsons.

Now I'm assuming we will have to trade one of our starters and I'd think it'll be Patterson w/ young players we have (donuts, t-jones :( ).

Also, coach Mchale knows how to keep players in check, this guy is old schools an I'm sure he can fix up Smith.

We can make noise in playoffs this year and be like OKC in a few years.

8. Arthurprescott2

I've watched a few Hawks games this year - maybe 6 (HOU-ATL, OKC-ATL, BOS-ATL) - but I am basing most of my assessment on numbers and what I've read. So if you want to offer insights, please~

But apparently, I value PPatt and the other assets on the bench quite a bit more than you do. I wouldn't empty the cache of assets for a rental that as you say might or might not work.

9. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Pass, never like him as a player.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I would rather spend/give up less and grab Derrick Williams from Minnesota. Never the less, in Morey I trust.

11. CCM721

CCM721 Member

The guy has 2-3 prime years left, 27 years old and completely reliant upon athleticism.

12. Fighton

Fighton Member

He wants max after this year, and someone will give him that. Do you think he deserves max? Or should that max money be spent on someone else that's even a better fit for our needs? I don't know for sure but we do know that we're probably not going to see a different josh smith than what we've seen over the past few years. i personally don't think he's a max player and will hold off on spending that max money.

so assuming that we won't keep him after the season, there's really no point renting him for half a season at the expense of our unknown assets if we're not winning it all this year anyway.

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well, they were offering him 3 years for 47 million... that`s pretty close to the max.

I am hesistant about this. I really like Josh Smith, actually I think I was one of his biggest advocates on here. But I don`t really want to trade for him - sure, I´d give up players like PPat, Delfino, Douglas and probably also DMo, Jones or White - but I don`t want to give up any of our core four in a trade for him.

In my mind he is a borderline max player - not really worth it but it`s pretty close. But he will most definetly get a max offer. But it`s tough to get those max worthy players and Smith would be probably the closest thing to a star we could get.

He is a game changer on defense (not really as a man on man defender, but he is a great help defender) and a legitmiate threat on offense. If you can fix his decision making, and he doesn`t lose his athleticism soon, he would look really good on this team. We wouldn`t be contenders yet, but we would be a dangerous team with a lot of young talent. Probably only one piece away - and that piece could very well end up being Parsons or Lin.

So if we can trade for him for cheap (so, no Harden, Lin, Parsons, Asik), I´d say go for it.

14. Stilldream'n34

I'm not a big fan of his and wouldn't want to sign him to the max.
    However, I think Josh's career could take the path of a player like Zach Randolph. Z-Bo would post double doubles throughout his career but was considered a bonehead player. Bounced around from bad team to bad team until he landed in Memphis and finally matured. Now he is an all star, leader, franchise player.
    I think Josh's next team could potentially land a more mature and ready to take the next step, type player.
    Torn on if I actually want him here but it could pay off!

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure what kind of offers the Hawks think they can get for Smith?

Suns are apparently in the conversation, but I'm not sure if they have anything of dazzling value? [the Lakers pick?]

Atlanta needs help at pretty much every position, and are in shape to make 2 max contract offers this summer, so I imagine they'd be wanting to take back only rookie scale or expiring contracts. So either we have an appealing rookie scale contract for them OR draft considerations.
    I can't see us giving them a pick, so either they like what they see in Patterson + one other or not.

It's still difficult to make a trade work due to the amount of contracts we'd have to send...

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I only want him Morey can sign him to a deal that still makes him an asset rather than a toxic contract that we could be stuck with.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

What this team needs first and foremost is defense - and actually defense from the 4 spot with a great shot blocker.

That is Smith. He is also a decent rebounder (a lot better than PPat or Morris) and that would help this team as well. He is also great at running the floor - what this team loves to do. He is a hustle player that will get second chance points.

BUT - he likes to take jump shots and he can`t really make them. He wants to be the man on offense, and he doesn`t have all the skills for that.

But I truly believe, that a lot of his faults could be corrected with the right coach. Learn a great post move, only shoot jumpers when you`re wide open - and learn to make them. And most importantly: accept that you are only the second or sometimes 3d option on offense. It´s alright if you only take 10 shots a game.

I think the positives outweigh the negative - and I think the negative could be corrected (at least to a degree). But again: don`t give up one of our core 4. Either wait till free agency or try to get a deal with our second tier guys.

19. Convictedstupid

Never understood the fascination with him.

20. SK34

SK34 Member

No, I do not believe he himself is a max player but his skills are (if that makes any sense). The way he approaches the game makes him not be Max worthy. This is the only other guy that has close to Lebrons attributes (Not Lebron tho). If he learns to approach the game with more passion and love then he would be great. It's a risk but I'd take it. I'm sure no other teams will give him max if he keeps playing the way that he does because every team in the NBA are finally building around great attitude players (except Sactown). But also if we do get him and he decides that he will play without the max and we can get Howard then that could be great also. But I'm dreaming..