ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Asik discussion: Poor guy deserves at least one thread about him
Tags:  basketball, chicago, defense, houston, houston rockets, james harden, jeremy lin, nba, offensive, omer asik, portland Tags
meh is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Lost in the shuffle between the cry for rookies, Hardon for Harden, and massive influx of Jeremy Lin fans, is of course our brand new center. Whom no one particularly seem to care. But make no mistake. His play have made a lot of impact.

Offense: His shooting, and by shooting I mean his dunks/layups/tips, have been really bad, hovering at 35%. This has been very disappointing for someone who supposedly worked on his game in the offseason. But at the very least, I expect him to eventually return to norm at Chicago, which is ~50% shooting, barely goes to the line, and shoot ~50% there too. His offensive rebounding rate is beastly though.

Offensive Rating of 71, which is HORRENDOUS. A number I assume would rank him last among any player playing more than 30mpg. The saving grace is that he doesn't do much on offense, so his crappiness is minimized.

Defense: He's a rebounding machine, just as advertised. Rockets defense currently ranks #9 in Defensive rating, compared to #17 and #19 in previous two years. This despite a team put together just recently, with teammates basically all under 25.

Defensive Rating of 97, which is very good. Unfortunately, does not make up for his inept offense. In Chicago fans say that he hurts his team's scoring as much as he helps shut down their opponent. And numbers back this up. In Houston, he's hurting our offense even more than he help our defense. But his defense is VERY, VERY good.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. I expect him to anchor our defense for years to come. His lack of offense isn't too big a deal, due to his low usage rate. But I hope he can at least revert back to his offensive norm, which is roughly 1 extra dunk/layup per game than right now. Actually, if he just made one single dunk in the Portland game, we'd be 3-0 right now. Hopefully he gets his dunking skills back.

Sponsored Link
Lorenzomax is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Lorenzomax
Rookie
Lorenzomax is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #52174
I love Ashueek!

Parpar2j is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Parpar2j
Parpar2j is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52342
i think so after i've watched the tape he didn't play well with the offensive and didn't get the Pick&Roll that Lin & Harden create for him. Sometime he had the problems with spacing.

durvasa is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
I like him a lot. We knew what we were getting with the offense. He'll have his share of 1-7 games, but he'll also have a bunch of 6-7 games. In the end, I think it will even out to around 50%.

His defense and rebounding are legit. Well worth 8 million/year.

gah is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
gah
gah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boardsgah is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35354
He's been a beast, I hope he's not demoralized after these two bad games, it's a manner of cause and effect that he will see improvements if he keeps working as hard.

Parpar2j is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Parpar2j
Parpar2j is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52342
but i love Asik Reb

roxxy is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
There is a lot more to offense than scoring buckets though. Asik is a really underrated passer for example. I am very high on Omer and I have been so for a while now since he was with the Bulls. I don't think people realize that this team really doesn't function without him. He changes shots in so many ways. Even if he stays exactly as he is now but continues to be a beast on the defensive end he is a total STEAL at the price we have him for. In my opinion although some disagree Asik is up there in terms of defensive impact with current DPOY Tyson Chandler. He is also younger, at a cheaper price & has yet to even hit his prime yet.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

bloodwings19 is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
bloodwings19
bloodwings19 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19208
I already booked him for Most Improved Player, only if Harden doesn't become top 5 in NBA scoring at the end of the season.

NL Rocket is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
NL Rocket
NL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51934
He looked good on offense in pre-season but he's missed many close shots that he just needs to make, kind of like Yao he tends to go up soft. That will come with time, when his conditioning improves and the offense is clicking. Defense is good but there's room for improvement. Rebouding has been amazing though, we're #2 in the league of total rebounds. Let's hope he can do it against the elite teams.

durvasa is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
There is a lot more to offense than scoring buckets though. Asik is a really underrated passer for example.
The biggest strengths he adds to our offense is offensive rebounding and setting solid screens. Both are extremely important, because we rely heavily on the pick and roll and we've been clanging a ton of perimeter jumpers.

REEKO_HTOWN is online now Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
The biggest strengths he adds to our offense is offensive rebounding and setting solid screens. Both are extremely important, because we rely heavily on the pick and roll and we've been clanging a ton of perimeter jumpers.
He put a screen on Lillard that knocked him on his ass! Love it and Lin got an And 1 because of it.

BeeBeard is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
BeeBeard
BeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBeeBeard is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30435
Bill Simmons said that Omer Asik would lead the league in rebounding this season.

I don't doubt he will.

Rebounding and defense are the two things you want in a traditional center.

I get it, Rockets fans got a little spoiled having Hakeem and Yao provide great scoring as well, but really it's just eating glass and defending the paint that are a true center's primary responsibilities.

And in those departments, Asik is amazing.

phantoman is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
phantoman
Contributing Member
phantoman is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26291
i think he will be fine, his O is already better than when I saw him in Chi. He is looking for the dunk on the roles, and he roles hard to the rim when. We just got to get him the ball better. I hear he has butterfinges but I think that will improve

the Bet Thread

If the rockets make the play off this year I will fly to houston to watch a play off game.

2011 Bet Thread

OremLK is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
OremLK
OremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneOremLK is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #45024
Nice post. He does need to regress back (up) to his norms on offense, but I love what he's done as an interior presence.

TechieOne is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
TechieOne
TechieOne is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5011
Great on defense. Hopefully he'll average out close to 45% too on offense. At least to keep people honest, otherwise folks will just not guard him.

REEKO_HTOWN is online now Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
If only Scola wasn't 31. He would have for nicely with his post play and bad rebounding.

roxxy is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
roxxy
roxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boardsroxxy is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #51508
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa View Post
Exactly. Things like this contribute well to offense. He is also a REALLY good passer. I think people see Omer not dunking the ball or having bad hands and they get upset. But we knew this about Omer from the begining. What he has showed us thus far is what Morey paid for, Morey said as much, nobody in there right mind should be complaining.

either that or Harden is being vastly underrated by a so called Rockets fan who supposedly watched majority of the Rockets games last season where Harden night in and night out carry the Rockets offense and torch whatever defense the opposing team throws at him
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaurelio View Post
stats are only credible if they point to jlin as the better player
Stats: Advanced Stats Primer | Basketball-Reference | Hoop Data | Team Rankings | NBA WOWY! | NBA.com (Advanced) | Vorped | Popcorn Machine | NBA Graphs

BigShotBob is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
BigShotBob
BigShotBob is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43535
We gettin married soon. Love me some Asik! The Rebounding machine, Liked his D against The Hawks. I remember last year The Hawks would ALWAYS kill us on the boards so many second opprotunities were given to them. But not this year, ASSSSSIIIIIKKKK

jopatmc is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7003
What has happened to all those monkey stretch dunks in traffic we saw all the time in Chicago?

Now we have to build a team that can beat the Thunder, Lakers, and Heat.

holly1985 is offline Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
holly1985
holly1985 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52663
I like Aisk's performance so far and he's earned every penny of his contract.

If he can improve his offensive game, it'll be even better.

Is it possible for him to develop into a player, let's see, like Tyson Chandler?

Lin/Harden lob to Aisk will be beautiful.