1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik discussion: Poor guy deserves at least one thread about him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 5, 2012.

1. nono

nono Member

At least we all know now what the Bulls fans felt the second CJ Watson passed Omer Asik the ball against the Sixers in game 6.

2. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

Would Hakeem be willing to give him lessons? Other than bad Off, he's a stud defender, I'm a fan.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Pretty much. The only other person who I saw & can remember set a really good pick & roll to the basket strong was Terrence Jones in pre-season. But that is pre-season so take everything with a grain of salt.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sorry, that did come off as a bit confusing. I was trying to make the following points.

1. His horrible shooting makes his offensive contribution to be very, very bad.
    2. That said, because of his low usage rate, it's not as important as, say, Jeremy Lin performing at similar levels.
    3. However, despite low usage, his lack of even making 50% of his layups/dunks do hurt the team more than his defense helps. Making his overall contribution negative for now. This is more a guess on my part based on his days in Chicago. Because in Chicago, the team scored roughly 8 points less while preventing 8 less points(based on per 100 possessions). To put it another way, if he shot like he did in Chicago, it would mean 1 extra bucket per game. 2pts/game is a huge deal. Worth ~4-5 games over an entire season. His defense is good, but not so good to be worth 4 games over a season.

5. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Asik is the man!

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hakeem can't do much with him, as he's very raw offensively. It would be a waste of money, since he'd be learning basics that Dawson could teach him, or even McHale.

Not sure what his workouts are like, but probably needs to do some body weight stuff, if he isn't already. He needs to become better at moving his own weight explosively.

7. slickster

slickster Member

How do you teach a 7'2" guy not to blow a layup?

But seriously, Asik is clearly struggling to adapt to starter minutes. He'll continue to struggle for weeks if not months, on the offensive end.

I'd like to see him attempt to dunk rather than try to lay it in. It's unreal watching him blow EVERY put back at point blank range.

8. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

His percentages are killing my fantasy team. DUNK THE BALL!

9. torocan

torocan Member

Lots and lots of drills with contact and time in the weight room.

10. nono

nono Member

It's really shocking how bad he is on offense. They can't even run pick and rolls with him despite his size. Could already not shoot from anywhere on the court. Missing layups is completely inexcusable though. We can't even get 5 points out of him it seems. If not for his rebounding he would be a negative on the court.

11. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

From what I see he gets antsy when he gets the ball down low off a rebound, he just just relax, and swing the ball outwards and up in a arc, so he won't get stripped or blocked

from that distance at 7 feet, it should be so damn easy...

12. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

He better add some mass this off season and pay Hakeem to work with him. His offense is dismal

13. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Love his defense, hate his offense. He didn't seem this bad during the preseason.

14. rocketblood713

Im a fan of Asik I think hes been good with defense rebounding and passing any points from him is a bonus !

15. split41

split41 Member

Asik is the man, if he gets an offensive game, with lin and harden as the playmakers, this dude could average a double-double

16. demarco1

demarco1 Member

Dunk Dunk Dunk, if he still cannot dunk, then dribble or pass outside to other player, let the other player make play

17. Star

Star Member

I think his basic layup/dunk offensive skill is there, just lack of confidence especially under pressure.

Nothing to worry, he will be good to go after playing more games and getting more experience.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right now Asik is around 35 minutes/game. That MIGHT be a little high for him. Might need to settle into that 27-29 MPG area like Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, Samuel Dalembert, Kendrick Perkins, etc. No shame in that at all.

Then gotta consider his offensive shortcomings can hinder the team, and also Asik's been foul prone historically, maybe need to dial the time back some. Maybe he can be like Marcin Gortat who plays 30+ MPG, but big men space eaters generally arent big minutes guys for whatever reason. Asik's already played more than 10% of his last year's total minutes lol

#98 Shroopy2, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dunk that ball, big man!

20. ashiin

ashiin Member

I love his defense and rebounding, but man every time he goes up with the ball and doesn't dunk it when he should have I cry a little inside.