1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik discussion: Poor guy deserves at least one thread about him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 5, 2012.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Asik is like Ben Wallace with the Pistons. Asik's lack of offense wouldn't be that big a deal had the Rockets have a low-post threat offensively.

The reality is that the current Rockets is basically a perimeter team, entire offense is generated from the guards penetration. If the defense slow that option, the Rockets will struggle, as evident in the late part of the game against Blazers. They desperately need a low post present if they want to seriously contend for a playoff spot.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is doing a very good job of doing what he does best.

As long as you learn to live with his misses around the hoop, you will be fine. If you keep expecting it to improve, you will always be disappointed.

I think it is better for Asik to pass the ball out once he gets the rebound than for him to attempt the shot. He is very similar to Mutombo in this regard expect that Mutombo was a slightly better finisher. Even with Mutombo though, I would cringe each time he tried to create for himself or went for the putback.

Just think of Asik as a younger version of Mutombo. As good or a better rebounder, PnR defender, bricker, and pick setter but not as good a shotblocker.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Asik's bad play is a result of poor conditioning. The big man isn't ready for the minutes. When he gets less winded into the season get ready for Asik the Beast to come around.

4. AFS

AFS Member

At the same time, he was making some crazy finishes around the basket in the first game and in preseason/training camp. Why was there a sudden regression? Or is this more the norm and he was just on a lucky streak before?

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

To sum all the comments up: Asik gets Clutchfans Seal of Approval!

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

His rebounds are overrated.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rebounds are the second most important thing in basketball to Points so its not overrated.

#47 REEKO_HTOWN, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I like him...

but

dude needs to bring the ball up in a 90 degree motion rather than a up and down motion and slam the ball down..

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

How can rebounds be overrated?

I think Asik's lack of offense is more noticeable because the Rockets don't possess any good low post players currently in the rotation to play along with Asik. I am very pleased with his rebounding and his defense. He has also been able to avoid foul trouble, which is something I was concerned about. I think it would be interesting to see D-Mo play with Asik. Even Greg Smith I think is a better match with Asik than Patterson.

10. catch22

catch22 Member

if Asik has a decent offensive game, he'd become kevin love and love is not cheap

11. alfonole007

alfonole007 Member

The guy is doing what is expected of him. Any offensive production is an unexpected bonus like Camby or Dalembert last year.

Give him some time, hopefully he will develop

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He knows it's not, he's just baiting.

13. catch22

catch22 Member

we don't need asik to improve his game, what we need is a decent PF or for Christ's sake, a semi-decent PF. ppat and morris are scrubs. if we have a pf that can score efficiently, we have one hell of a team

i think mcfail has failed us big time because he refuses to play jones.

14. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

dude want brought in to put up 30 points a night.... he is doing what he is best at...

if he improves his offensive game...

then thats a bonus

15. torocan

torocan Member

I think we need to remember that like Lin and Harden, Asik is an unfinished product.

He's ALSO 23, AND he has the benefit of having immediate access to McHale and Olajuwon.

Shooting is one of the EASIEST things to fix in basketball. Reps, drills, work on form, and work on post/center moves just take time.

That doesn't mean that Asik will become Dream 2.0, but getting him up to at least below average to average scoring is NOT far fetched at all. We really don't need THAT many points from him, just better than 0/7. :grin:

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Love Asik's game. I think he'll work like Chuck and get his layups/dunks up over the next couple of years

I also have Asik OVER 9.5 Rebs/game in Vegas...which is some sweeeeet sweet free $$$

17. catch22

catch22 Member

i believe Asik is 25/6, not 23

18. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

He's actually 26.

Born: Jul 4, 1986

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/omer_asik/

Not that it matters too much but for a big man, he's definitely worth his contract.

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

ha. I agree in the sense that for a guy that can "catch" a bunch of rebounds, he has stone hands in the paint and can't seem to get the ball in the hoop when going strong to the basket. I think it has a lot to do with his 'touch' which for whatever reason, he and Harden couldn't seem to buy a layup all game.

All 7 of his attempts in the Blazers game were layups/put backs, he'll get those baskets back as his stamina improves. Its still way to early to say he won't ever get the touch or be able to get the putbacks. He did have 12 pts in the first game and his rebounds and defense are top tier. I think his FG% will improve and then the question is, can he actually contribute close to 10pts a game, which would be a major major steal for the Rockets in terms of offensive production. I think he can do it. Only 3 games in...give him some time to adjust and I bet he'll impress even more.

20. Garner

Garner Member

Asik just signed a $24Mil contract and has a beautiful girlfriend. I doubt he needs a Clutchfans thread for personal validation.

I take that back, of course he does.