ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Rockets-Blazers Series Preview with Adam Wexler

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Poll: Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?
Poll Options
Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers
Tags:  2012, 790, asia, asian, basketball, boston celtics, bucks, bulls, cavs, christmas, clutchfans, comcast, comcast sportsnet houston, daryl morey, david stern, deal, deals, fan, fun, heat, houston, houston rockets, jazz, jim crane, lakers, league, los angeles lakers, management, nba, nets, new york knicks, podcast, poll, preseason, radio, rockets games, spurs, stern, suns, support, tad brown, texas, twitter, ugly, warriors, wizards, work Tags
Clutch is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
1/19/2013 UPDATE: Please sign the petition to help get the ball rolling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by studogg View Post
A little rough around the edges - but wanted to get the ball moving. Let's go peeps.

http://www.change.org/petitions/csn-...cal-networks-3

Since the board has had a ton of questions about this and I get asked on email and Twitter a lot, here is a thread I hope to update as providers are added.

As of Wednesday morning, October 10th (date of Rockets' first preseason game), here are all the providers that have Comcast SportsNet Houston available:
  • Coastal Link (channels 31/131 in Brazoria County, Texas).
  • Comcast Cable (channels 39/639 in the Houston area; 86/1688 in Houma, La Place, Monroe and Shreveport, Lou.; 269/1687 in Little Rock, Ark.).
  • Consolidated Communications (channels 42/723 in the Houston area).
  • EnTouch (channels 73/473 in the Houston area).
  • Phonoscope (channels 35/293 in the Houston area).

Currently DirecTV, UVerse, Dish Network are shut out. The Rockets and CSN Houston want you to go to http://iwantcsnhouston.com to demand from your provider that they add the channel, but it's really just helping them push the demand for it and get more money for it. As it always does, it comes down to money for both sides.

Keep in mind also the name "Comcast" being in the channel isn't helping when it comes to UVerse and the rest wanting to add it. It's like asking Coke to air the Pepsi channel.

I'm going to guess they'll have something worked out by the season's start. We'll see.

(Poll added by Carl Herrera)

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
Summer Song Giver is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Summer Song Giver
Summer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSummer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSummer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1889
With virtually NONE of the big providers having added the channel yet, I think Comcast is probably asking for an arm and a leg for the rights.

How will the Texans screw up this time?

Haymitch is online now Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Haymitch
Contributing Member
Haymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHaymitch is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2005
Member: #16399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I'm going to guess they'll have something worked out by the season's start. We'll see.
I hope you're not just saying that to keep people on here from freaking out about it in every post they make...

bet

Clutch is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Song Giver View Post
With virtually NONE of the big providers having added the channel yet, I think Comcast is probably asking for an arm and a leg for the rights.
I would think so.

The same thing is happening in Los Angeles with the Lakers, and they have the caliber of team that gives them leverage to ask for a bundle... and no doubt they are.

http://blog.pe.com/jim-alexander/201...kout-fans-say/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Carl Herrera is online now Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
If you are gonna contact the providers, I would also tweet folks in charge of the Rockets like Morey (@dmorey), CEO Tad Brown (@tadbbrown), Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) and Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) to tell them to get a deal done.

With Parsons, make sure you tell him you are a 13-yr-old girl and is upset you can't see his face on TV and if a deal isn't done your parents are forcing you to become a Mavs fan and watch ugly Dirk all season.

Clutch is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Clutch
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymitch View Post
I hope you're not just saying that to keep people on here from freaking out about it in every post they make...

I sincerely have no clue... just a hunch.

But the Rockets and Astros both are living in a Texans World right now and I think both parties (Rockets and the providers) stand to lose if they don't come to an arrangement. The global interest in the Rockets may be more significant again this season with the addition of Jeremy Lin, but I think the local interest has dropped.

Makes sense for both sides to do a deal and soon.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
I would think so.

The same thing is happening in Los Angeles with the Lakers, and they have the caliber of team that gives them leverage to ask for a bundle... and no doubt they are.

http://blog.pe.com/jim-alexander/201...kout-fans-say/
And the huge media market to make the rights valuable.

A similar dispute lasted well into the season on NYC between MSG and Time Warner cable. Folks got really upset when Linsanity began and he is not on TV.

NL Rocket is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
NL Rocket
NL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNL Rocket is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2012
Member: #51934
That sucks for you guys in Houston. Question though, does this possibly relate to the fact many are saying the game will not be on league pass. It seems to me league pass picks up whenever there's a channel covering it but maybe since no deals have been made with providers outside of Houston, the league can't get access to it either? You would think the NBA would be able to get coverage since they own the rights but not sure how this all works.

side note: CSN tip off is in 1 hour and 13 minutes, is there going to be a special on or something?

Hail to the V is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Hail to the V
Hail to the V is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
With Parsons, make sure you tell him you are a 13-yr-old girl and is upset you can't see his face on TV and if a deal isn't done your parents are forcing you to become a Mavs fan and watch ugly Dirk all season.
Done.

ElPigto is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
ElPigto
ElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Sep 2006
Member: #19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Song Giver View Post
Initially I threatened AT&T that I would cancel my service if they don't get CSN-Houston; however, I am thinking my stance over since I believe this is the primary reason for AT&T not having the channel yet. I live in Houston and I should be able to catch my local team. If the Rockets along with Comcast don't want me to do so, then they can go screw themselves. I'm a season ticket holder, but if the Rockets don't want me to watch them and support them anymore then I'll definitely be taking my money elsewhere.

"The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning"

--- Morrie Schwartz ( Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom )

htownrox1 is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
htownrox1
htownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donehtownrox1 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43851
This is complete bull****! I can't watch my hometown Rockets on my tv??

I've seen every game for the past 5 years, and now I can't?? Wtf?!

mario713 is offline Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
mario713
Rookie
mario713 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44039
We should spam all over DirecTv's fb page n demand csn! I already started.

thursdays is offline Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
thursdays
thursdays is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2012
Member: #51219
I have suddenlink, and I am not happy about missing my Rockets, but I cant stand comcast. I simply cant bring myself to help them impose thier name on a competing network. I WONT DO IT.

Carl Herrera is online now Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
DirectTV carries a bunch of CSN regional sports networks (New England, Chicago and whatnot), so perhaps the CSN name is not a huge impediment. My guess the issue is still money (as it often is)-- CSN wants to get more, providers want to pay less.

BTW, why does everyone hate Comcast? I have not been a customer so no personal experience with them.

REEKO_HTOWN is offline Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
Quote:
BTW, why does everyone hate Comcast? I have not been a customer so no personal experience with them.
You just answered your question

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2009
Member: #42029
Funny that I can't even watch my local Rockets while I can watch Chicago sports on WGN since for as long as I can remember/ like way back!!!! WGN is everywhere...

davidio840 is offline Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
davidio840
Contributing Member
davidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavidio840 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46697
Quote:
DirectTV carries a bunch of CSN regional sports networks (New England, Chicago and whatnot), so perhaps the CSN name is not a huge impediment. My guess the issue is still money (as it often is)-- CSN wants to get more, providers want to pay less.

Considering the fact that DirecTV already carries many CSN sports networks, I am praying they add Houston before the season starts. I continue to call and email and will do so threatening to cancel if they do not get something worked out very soon. Even though I won't cancel because they are the best cable service provider around (IMO).
The only reason I chose them was because they have every sports channel (NBA, NFL, etc, etc, etc) in their package.

ElPigto is offline Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
ElPigto
ElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boardsElPigto is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Sep 2006
Member: #19911
Quote:

Horrible, horrible customer service. In 6 months, they put me through 2 hours calls, transferring to the wrong department multiple times, lying to me, hanging up on me for no reason, their technical support never being able to help me with internet issues no matter how many times I called, etc.

Plain horrible and never want to deal with them ever again.

"The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning"

--- Morrie Schwartz ( Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom )

trueroxfan is offline Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
trueroxfan
trueroxfan is Omer Asik -- working the boardstrueroxfan is Omer Asik -- working the boardstrueroxfan is Omer Asik -- working the boardstrueroxfan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31606
I hope they have the game on LP tonight...

Hayesfan is offline Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
I called Directv today and for those of us outside of Houston nothing big will change. We will still get the regular season games via league pass but not the preseason ones.

The only difference is we won't be able to watch the pre-post games on CSN Houston.. so we will be at the mercy of the league pass button on how much of those we get to see.