1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I am guessing that they (do not know who) want to make more money, and keep switch the provider, which results in our fans to figure out where we can follow the games even although we already spend money on the cable TV providers.

2. Prince

Prince Member

they're tempting us to do illegal streaming....

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tempting? Hell, if I can't even watch it at 99% of the Local Sports Bars it's practically a blackout.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Just for purely academic reasons, say a person (definitely NOT me) wanted to watch one of them there illegal streams (again, NOT me!), then how exactly would an unsavory type (such as NOT me) go about doing such a dastardly thing?

Details please, and I am NOT taking notes!

1 person likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

any hope that dish network gets this? I know dish is notoriously cheap.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I already pay out the arse for my Directv, I'm guessing them having to pay more money to carry Rockets games won't make my bill any cheaper. Thanks Rockets for this lovely deal. (I'm guessing it is the Rockets that made this deal, correct?)

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fact is, the carriers were paying for FSN, the Rockes old TV home which has now gone off air. We cannot be sure whether the price asked by CSN is higher or lower than FSN's, and if so, by how much and whether it is similar to other recently signed local TV deals in similar markets. In other words, we don't know which side is being "unreasonable." Unfortunately, this kind of stuff happens when TV deals are being negotiated (same things happened in NYC and with non-sports channels, too).

Also, the cost of your TV package isn't directly reflecting what channels get paid. directTB charges what it can given the market for its services. Whatever they pay CSN, they cannot charge more than the market will bear or customers will switch to a new provider.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just charge me for it, I don't give a damn. Give me the freaking channel already.

9. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Like the Longhorn Network? Sorry. I just couldn't resisit. :grin:

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way CSN is asking lower than FSN. They feel as if they have all the leverage which is why they are publicly asking people to pressure the other 3 major providers into caving into their demands. Seems to me Comcast is trying to make a power play and wants the public on their side. Gullible people will do as they are told.

If two of the remaining three providers make a deal with CSN, then people who are with the holdout should start applying pressure. Until then, just as much pressure should be put on CSN as anyone else.

12. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Will there be a link for the game tonight?

13. Cmac51

Cmac51 New Member

Use the right strategy

Pressuring the providers won't help that much. Let the Rockets know that you will not spend one red cent, attend a game or in any other way provide revenue to the Rockets. If people do that, the Rockets will see that it gets settled fast.

14. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Can somebody tell me a website where I can watch them for free? Plz I have Dish Network

15. Carl Herrera

I don't really take sides on this (or on the NBA lockout earlier). Both CSN and the providers are just making a business deal. It sucks that the fans won't get game access until it's done, though.

As for how much CSN is asking: Yeah, I agree it is probably asking more than FSN. The main reason being that the value for sports broadcast rights have gone up in recent years. For example, I think the NBA is getting $900M/yr on their current national TV deal, but expects to see a substantial increase on that number on its next contract (the main reason why the current CBA allows both the players and the owners to "opt out" shortly after the TV expires).

#35 Carl Herrera, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  16. onreego

onreego Member

I would just tweet @CSNHouston and let them know that you will not be signing Iwantcsnhouston.com and you will not be switching providers. Basically if they are not willing to settle with the other providers than we'll just find other ways of watching the game. The backlash needs to be aimed at them and not your provider (Assuming you're not on Comcast).

17. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I sent emails to both Direct TV and the Rockets.

My email to the Rockets:

Dear Houston Rockets -

As a former Comcast customer, I would rather gouge my eyeballs out with a hot rusty soup spoon than switch back to Comcast. Get a deal done with Direct TV before the season starts, or I will find other things to do with my time and money.

FYI, my business partner and I shared season tickets for 18 years .....

:mad:

1 person likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

Who do you blame for the CSN vs. TV Carriers Dispute

I am curious about how people feel about the TV dispute that currently makes Rockets games unavailable to local fans with a number of TV carriers (Direct TV, Dish, ATT U-Verse, etc.) . So, want to take the forum's temperature. Poll coming up.

19. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

if you have comcast cable do you get to see rockets games or do you have to order comcast sports net as a extra?

20. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

why does it seem so hard to figure out what channel they are going to show rockets games?

if you have regular comcast cable can you watch the rox?

or do you have to order comcast sports net as a extra channel?